Re: [John Muir Trail] north to south or south to north?

  • JD Schaefer
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4, 2006
      Colleen
      The standard is SoBo. But the first question should be whether you're
      affected by AMS. If you are, and want to do a NoBo, then you'll need to
      consider Diamox. The SoBo choice is gradual enough that those affected
      by AMS don't feel any affects.

      Culminating the hike by summitting the highest peak in the Middle-48 is
      a nice crescendo. The 11-miles that are added to the official 211-mile
      thru-hike, down to Whitney Portal, pale severely in comparison to the
      spectacle you've experienced up until that point.

      Another consideration is whether you're considering going off trail to
      resupply between Whitney and Muir Trail Ranch (the next on-trail
      resupply opportunity). If you go SoBo, your body and metabolism are
      conditioned to the hike and you can carry 10-11 days of food from MTR
      with little problem. If you go NoBo and don't go off-trail until MTR,
      you're carrying a whole-lot of weight (an extra 20-lbs? Ugh!) up a very,
      very steep mountain your first day.

      When I did the whole thing SoBo in '03, I felt I was in Wilderness right
      away which was the desired affect. Speaking only for myself, if I were
      to do it NoBo, I'd be aware that I was hiking parallel to the Owens
      Valley and not sufficiently removed from "civilization".

      My advice is what you pay for it.
      JD

      A large photo album of the trail with trip mileage provided for each photo
      http://community.webshots.com/album/132955185Iayrxp

      colleen beach wrote:

      >those of you who have done it which way would you reccommend for a
      >first-timer? im planning on summer of 07 after i graduate from
      >college...should be awesome!
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • hmdsierra
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2006
        I did it North to South and I think that way is a bit easier. It
        seemed the approaches to the passes were a bit more gradual and it
        saved the highest passes for the last.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "colleen beach" <beacher987@...>
        wrote:

        > those of you who have done it which way would you reccommend for a
        > first-timer? im planning on summer of 07 after i graduate from
        > college...should be awesome!

      • Dan McGuire
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 4, 2006
          Hey Colleen,

          I've experience the JMT from both the north and south bound perspectives,
          having thru hiked the PCT(northbound) in 02 and the JMT(southbound) in 05. I
          would unhesitatingly vote for a south bound trip for a few reasons:

          -Aesthetic: IMHO, the trail becomes grander and grander as you progress
          south. Don't get me wrong, Lyle Canyon is awesome, Cathedral Peaks are
          amazing, but few things in the world compare to the high country around
          Forester Pass - not to mention Whitney itself. In traveling southbound, I
          think the scenery gets progressively more stunning, constantly answering the
          question of "What could possibly be better than this?"

          -Acclimatization: The climb out of Yosemite Valley is more gradual than
          the attack up Whitney. Your body will thank you for it. Also, when you
          summit Whitney, you'll barely be breathing hard and will be able to feel
          smug around all of those dying as they try to do it in one day.

          -Resupply: Your first week on the trail is going to be the toughest as
          your body adjusts. You have more frequent resupply options in the northern
          half, thus lowering your pack weight in the early days of your hike. Also,
          you have more bail out options if things aren't going well.

          -Social interaction: It's my sense, completely unsupported by any
          research, that most JMT'ers head south. By heading the same way, you'll be
          able to see those wonderful people you meet along the trail over and over
          again.

          -Transportation: Not sure what you're doing for transport to and from
          the trail, but if your leaving a car at one end and getting back to it, I
          think that it is probably easier to hitch a rider back to Yosemite than it
          is to hitch back to Lone Pine. I've had great success with getting rides on
          395, less luck in Yosemite.

          That's my two cents...in the end, you can't really go wrong either way, just
          being on the trail is amazing! Enjoy your planning and prep, and remember to
          hike your own hike - no matter how much advice we all may dish out.

          Cheers,

          Dan
          a.k.a Scooter

          _____