cabin fever

  • amandahiker
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 13, 2010
      I want to go on the trail and its only December. I have cabin fever. I can't stand it. Ugh!

      Amanda
    • brink_nathan
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 13, 2010
        I know the feeling, I've been itching to get out for the last month now...

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "amandahiker" <aslive@...> wrote:

        > I want to go on the trail and its only December. I have cabin fever. I can't stand it. Ugh!
        >
        > Amanda

      • robert shattuck
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 13, 2010
          . . . it's called, "snow camping" . . . get out there and calm your fever.

          Bob

          I want to go on the trail and its only December. I have cabin fever. I can't stand it. Ugh!

          Amanda

        • Linda Reitz
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 14, 2010
            Amanda, ever think about hiking the California Coast? I heard of some wonderful hot springs in Big Sur somewhere. There is always Grand Canyon, bu so far. Trying to save all vacation days for summer is my plan...BUT........I got cabin fever too. I am so glad we have this blog to at least talk and read about.
            Linda

            I want to go on the trail and its only December. I have cabin fever. I can't stand it. Ugh!

            Amanda

          • Kim Fishburn
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 14, 2010
              Henry Coe State Park east of Morgan Hill can be a good place in winter. There is a state wilderness on the eastern border of the park too so you can easily spend a week hiking around there. There is one spot where if the conditions are good you can see Half Dome. Most of the trails are old ranch roads which sometimes can be brutally steep. Pretty in springtime with the wildflowers. I spent two nights camped next to this one pond. The male tom turkey would gather his harem of hens on the next hillside over. One night I heard a coyote howl in the distance, and a coyote pup maybe 100 yards away tried to howl back. My last time there I hiked through the narrows and saw two fresh deer legs. The next day I ran into a couple that had seen a mt. lion and two coyotes fighting over the carcass. And don't forget the wild pigs!

              Amanda, ever think about hiking the California Coast? I heard of some wonderful hot springs in Big Sur somewhere. There is always Grand Canyon, bu so far. Trying to save all vacation days for summer is my plan...BUT........I got cabin fever too. I am so glad we have this blog to at least talk and read about.
              Linda

              I want to go on the trail and its only December. I have cabin fever. I can't stand it. Ugh!

              Amanda

            • Ewa Bialkowski
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 14, 2010
                Sykes Hot Springs are in Big Sur; Nice 10mi (each way); great views; trail gets very busy on weekends but quite OK mid week. Dogs allowed.
                Springs are hot and fun, close to a nice cold creek. Camping along the creek. There is good info on the web about how to get there if you google for it.

                I strongly recommend that hike.

                Ewa

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 14, 2010
                  Lost Coast trail is 48 miles of coastline interrupted by one road in
                  the middle at Shelter Cove, CA. North half and South half are quite
                  different but both good winter hikes for the snow avoidant. Ewa is
                  right about area near Big Sur. Ventana Wilderness there is a good
                  winter destination

                  On Tuesday, December 14, 2010, Ewa Bialkowski <ewa.bialkowski@...> wrote:

                  > Sykes Hot Springs are in Big Sur; Nice 10mi (each way); great views; trail gets very busy on weekends but quite OK mid week. Dogs allowed. Springs are hot and fun, close to a nice cold creek. Camping along the creek. There is good info on the web about how to get there if you google for it.
                  >
                  > I strongly recommend that hike.
                  > Ewa
                  >
                  > On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 5:51 AM, Linda Reitz <hikejmt47@...> wrote:

                  > Amanda, ever think about hiking the California Coast? I heard of some wonderful hot springs in Big Sur somewhere. There is always Grand Canyon, bu so far. Trying to save all vacation days for summer is my plan...BUT........I got cabin fever too. I am so glad we have this blog to at least talk and read about.
                  >
                  > Linda

                  San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
                  415-648-9279
                • mbeilfuss
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 14, 2010
                    Okay, this is admittedly off the JMT topic, but I just wanted to say that I live in Central Texas, and there aren't many good places to backpack around here less than 10 hours away. But Texas does have great national and state parks that offers some challenging multiday backpacking trips. If you're really itching to get in some activity, go down to Big Bend national park or Big Bend Ranch. They are both beautiful places with small crowds and the possibility of winter backpacking without freezing. Although the first time we did an overnight trip it dipped down into the teens. Nevertheless, with good luck, you can have weather in the 70s and 40s. Warmer than some parts of the JMT during summer. (Can't believe I'm giving away the secret of these parks--but they are difficult enough to get to that many won't come).

                    > . . . it's called, "snow camping" . . . get out there and calm your fever.
                    > Bob

                    > I want to go on the trail and its only December. I have cabin fever. I can't stand it. Ugh!
                    >

                    > Amanda

                  • Kim Fishburn
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 14, 2010
                      This might be more than a 10 hour drive from central Texas, but the Ozark Highland Trail in Arkansas is one I've had my eye on. Its over 200 miles long and growing, and will eventually be part of a trail through Missouri, Arkansas and Oklahoma. National Geographic did an article on the trail.

                    • ned@mountaineducation.org
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 14, 2010
                        Actually, Bob, Amanda was one of our students back in 2009, so she knows her basic snow camping skills.

                        "Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

                        Ned Tibbits, Director
                        Mountain Education
                        1106A Ski Run Blvd