Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Featherweight daypacks

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 10, 2010
      One advantage of the cuben fiber zero packs (which is the heavy weight cuben fiber) is that the bag holds up like a water bucket.  A friend of mine got the zpacks' silnylon one, which is what the Riksak is made of, and it is so soft, that it does not hold up and serve as a water bucket.  To make the zero pack (cuben fiber variety) a water bucket, cuff the sides like cuffed pant legs (except upside down).  We'd use the cuben fiber zero pack as a "kitchen sink" for washing clothes in about 100 feet from the water source.

      Now it'd leak a little at the seams, but housewrap sheathing tape over those seams slows down the leaks.   I found housewrap sheathing tape (which is super light) to be the best on cuben fiber.  Far better tape than the cuben fiber tape sold by Zpacks.

      On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 6:08 PM, lilkeeney <jmt@...> wrote:
      Here is another option from gossamer gear.

      http://gossamergear.com/packs/riksak.html

      Weight
         * 2.2 oz. (g.)
      Size
         * 13 x 20 in. (33 x 51 cm.)
         *  900 c.i. (15 l.)
      Materials
         * 30 denier 1.3 oz. per sq. yd. (44 g. per sq. m.) silicone-coated ripstop nylon ("silnylon")

      Color
         * Royal Blue

      On sale for $25.50

      > Pretty nice looking ones.  Here is another brand that gets down to 2.1 oz
      > for a 1000 cu inch pack and 3.2 oz for a 2600 cu inch pack.  I have their
      > 1000 cu inch pack, works great as a stuff sack and day pack (like when you
      > drop your pack off at Whitney Summit Junction) or when you're walking into
      > the stores at TM or RM.
      >
      > http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks/zero.shtml
      >
      > On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 3:35 PM, rwilly001 <rwilly001@...> wrote:
      >
      > > These UL daypacks from Chico Bag might have their uses.
      > > http://www.chicobag.com/c-22-daypack-style.aspx
      > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaQKQLox2sY

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional