JMT 2007 (or 2006)

  • stevenhmunson
    Message 1 of 45 , Feb 3, 2006
      Hi Paul,

      If you want to change your plans, I'm planning on doing the JMT this
      summer. I hiked it from North to South in 2000, and I'm planning on
      going from South to North this summer. I plan to start on Aug. 19 and
      complete the hike on Labor Day, Sept. 4. I plan to hike 15 miles per
      day, with one rest day near Muir Trail Ranch in the middle. At 15
      miles per day I have a little leeway to complete it by Labor Day. On
      Wednesday I applied for the Mt. Whitney lottery, but I'm not sure what
      my chances are since my start date is a Saturday. Most likely I'll
      start at Horseshoe Meadow and go over Cottonwood Pass and skip Mt.
      Whitney. (Hardcore JMT'ers will frown on me, but that's OK.) Since
      2000, I've also done several loops that included parts of the JMT, and
      the area is just spectacular. My hike in 2000 was one of the great
      experiences of my life - that's why I'm anxious to do it again. I
      carried way too much weight in 2000, so I'm working hard on getting my
      pack weight down for this summer (mostly researching/trying
      lightweight backpacking techniques and buying new gear).

      If anyone else is interested in coming along this summer, please plan
      to "attend". I'm also going to apply for a permit for the Horseshoe
      Meadow trailhead for an Aug. 19 start date (I'm applying on Feb. 19 -
      6 months in advance), so I need to know soon if anyone else is
      interested.

      Good luck, Paul, in your preparations. As others have said, the
      anticipation and getting ready for the trip is half of the fun.

      Steve

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "scout_hiker" <scout_hiker@...>

      Message 45 of 45 , Sep 19, 2014
        It is a limit of 15 in Yosemite.
        http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildregs.htm

        On Friday, September 19, 2014, steve herr groundhogsteve@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        But isn't there a prohibition on groups joining up to exceed the group maximum limit - ie, they can't camp within X distance of each other, etc?

        --
        Sent from Gmail Ipad
        See my Google Profile for interesting research links: