Re: [John Muir Trail] JMT

  • JD Schaefer
    Message 1 of 48 , Feb 3 5:48 AM
      Paul
      Not being able to speak for others, but I would need to know your
      average daily miles, resupply locations and planned Zero days.
      JD

      Message 48 of 48 , Sep 6, 2015
        Here's some snow in July

        It's not usually like this - but it is sometimes like this.

        On Sun, Sep 6, 2015 at 8:08 PM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:
        Just look up California time and call me Monday after 8 am

        You could leave some stuff with me or probably with Bob Shattuck. We both try to help help hikers  passing thru SF

        Google map search for a motel near 9th and Mission.- convenient to public transit. Fairly "urban" environment but safe

        I'd buy stuff at REI, Not the cheapest prices but yu can return stuff that turns out badly

        Weather is usually pleasant, even in September with pleasant, sunny days and cold clear nights. But they are mountains and you have to be prepared for bad weather.

        Here's one day in June

        Stream crossings will probably be easy. But if there is rain or a fast melt after a snow, they can get harder fast. I'd cross either in your regular footwear (remove socks and insoles and wick out afterwards) or bring special footwear for crossings. You don't want to cross barefoot on a stream that has granite rocks where you can't always see where your foot is going next.

        We usually have wonderful weather. It's the fairly frequent "unusual" weather you need to worry about. Can happen any month but more likely in September/october.

        On Sun, Sep 6, 2015 at 4:59 PM, Felix JMT felix.jmt2015@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        John,

        thank you very much or your quick reply. Indeed, I would be gratefull for a few tips concerning SF.
        - Do you know a good place to stay?
        - Do you have a recommendation for a store where to purchase gear (in particular a down jacket and rain paints)
        - Do you know a place in SF where I could leave a small back pack with 'normal' gear such as a t-shirt or a razor for the time on the trail? No need to have supplement weight :-)
        - As I haven't been to Califonia yet it is a bit difficult for me to ass weather conditions. Can one still expect lots of sun shine interrupted by rain and snow or is it rather cloudy and misty with rain and snow? In case it is snowing or raining, how long does it usually last? Rather one hour or one day?
        - Do I have to expect to cross large and deep streams, ie. does one need sandals?

        I might call you during the next days. What time would suit you?

        Thank you very much for your support.

        Felix