Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Half Dome

  • Kim Fishburn
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 9, 2010
      I think the last two deaths were a Japanese business man wearing leather souled dress shoes, and someone on the cables when it was wet and slippery. I don't think the number of people had anything to do with it.

      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 9, 2010
        The subject of Half Dome reminded me of this book.

        http://www.amazon.com/Off-Wall-Yosemite-Michael-Ghiglieri/dp/0970097360/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_c

        I think I read about it at http://yosemiteexplorer.com/ . I believe there is a series of similar books on other national parks. Looking at his site I'm reminded that the record for Happy Isles to the top of Half Dome and back is 2:28:18.

        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 9, 2010
          good find -- I added this to my amazon High Sierra Wish List which we have a link to.

          I have read this book though:

          It's available also in audiobook form.

          On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 1:25 PM, Kim Fishburn <outhiking_55@...> wrote:

          The subject of Half Dome reminded me of this book.

          http://www.amazon.com/Off-Wall-Yosemite-Michael-Ghiglieri/dp/0970097360/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_c

          I think I read about it at http://yosemiteexplorer.com/ . I believe there is a series of similar books on other national parks. Looking at his site I'm reminded that the record for Happy Isles to the top of Half Dome and back is 2:28:18.

        • John
          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 9, 2010
            I can pretty much guarantee that leaving the cables in place has nothing to do with USNPS "economics", and everything to do with politics and "private sector" economics. Most of my friends in VERY high places with Yosemite National Park would love to see the cables come down. Indeed, it has been considered. However, it will take a very strong Park superintendent to make that happen.
            With any luck, over time, the daily Half Dome quota will be reduced to a reasonable number of something less than 100.

            JD
            www.johndittli.com

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Peter Burke <pburke@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > >> The money generated by these extra visitors is probably the overriding
            > >> economic factor for park management - 500 $20 car entrance tickets alone
            > >> each day is $10,000 in the bank. Do that for 3 months and you have a
            > >> million bucks you may not collect without the cables. Add money spent at
            > >> stores in the valley, and suddenly a set of cables that's not visible
            > >> from anywhere but up close by those who venture up there to take
            > >> advantage of them makes sense. The side effect of heavy trail erosion up
            > >> to the peak is something they have to deal with, though. The steep
            > >> section from Little Yosemite Valley to the HD trail intersection is
            > >> probably the most eroded and widest section of the entire JMT, although
            > >> compared to some French Alsp trails I have been on, this is in perfect
            > >> shape. This is all relative, I guess. In Europe, many trails are built

          • Linda Reitz
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 9, 2010
              Jophn, I was proud of myself the first time I made the summit at age 55! For us native Californians I think it is almost a rite of passage. To where I don't know.
              Lind

              For a lot of California kids, the Half dome cable route gives them their first "bragging rights" in the outdoors.  While you wouldn't want to take a really little kid up there, it's probably doable safely with many kids (ones that will be careful) at age 10 or so and they are really proud of themselves once they "summit".

            • Barbara Karagosian
              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 9, 2010
                I know 3 died from falls the year I did it. At least one of those was attempting it after the cables had been taken down in the autumn.

                Cheers, Barbara

                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 10, 2010
                  Some of you might be interested in efforts remove the dam at Hetch Hetchy in Yosemite.

                  http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2010/12/it-quioxtic-work-towards-restoration-hetch-hetchy-valley-yosemite-national-park7321
                • herbstroh@charter.net
                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 10, 2010
                    I hiked half dome about 4 years ago. The number of people on the cables was
                    out-of-control (a Saturday in August). It took us a good 45 minutes to get
                    down. People became impatient, and started to go up and down on the outside
                    of the cables. That works in some places, but they have to come inside to
                    go around obstacles, and do not have the benefit of the 2x4s to perch on
                    while waiting. It started to get ugly.

                    Ahead of me was a 14-15 year old kid who was the last member of his group.
                    He started to panic with the crush of people and didn't want to move. His
                    lead group got too far ahead and apparently did not realize the kid iced
                    over. I had to talk him down, encouraging him to walk down to the next set
                    of poles and 2 bys whenever space opened up.

                    Reaching the bottom there was--no exaggeration--150-200 people lined up to
                    ascend. The line went past where the big rock near the base. I could not
                    believe there was no control over the number of hikers on the cables.

                    When we did the JMT in 2008 I knew I did not want to do HD again. We choose
                    to go to Clouds Rest, and as Peter suggests, it is a far better experience.
                    About 1,000 feet higher, the view is better and we even had it to ourselves
                    for awhile. I am not a big fan of regulating and permitting everything, but
                    in this case the Park Service needs to manage the numbers or pull the
                    cables.

                    Herb

                  • Ed Gilroy

                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 10, 2010

                        Ah yes, Half Dome, I remember now!

                        -postholer

                      • ekacura
                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 11, 2010
                          Thanks for the info on Hetch Hetchy Kim, that's great to hear !!! A tribute to the great John Muir !