Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Half Dome

  • Peter Burke
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 9, 2010
      On 12/9/2010 7:23 AM, judy wrote:
      > I started the JMT on Friday 30 July last summer and the permit system definitely made that part of the hike much more pleasant with far fewer people on the trail. Those there, in general, seemed much better prepared. Perhaps the permitting process provides an opportunity for some pre-trip education (a good thing) in addition to reducing the numbers on the cables. --Judy

      mostly the pleasant part was due to be out there on the least busy day
      of the week, Friday (average 273 visitors per day, while Monday averaged
      732)

      http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/files/YOSE-Half%20Dome%20Trail%20Use.pdf

      on page 30 of the report you will also see that it was a 250 visitor day
      on July 30, but just the Monday after that date, you would have shared
      the trail with almost 900 people up to Half Dome Trail Junction. Permits
      every day will come for sure to shave those peaks down to the same level
      now seen on weekends and holidays, but it really doesn't address the
      deeper issue - why are these cables up there in the first place?

      I find the whole thing with the cables is a far cry from the whole
      untouched wilderness concept they seem to put so much emphasis on with
      comparably minor impact issues such as fire circles and (the elimination
      of) bear lockers in the backcountry. If the cables had not been put up
      in a period with less concern for impact, they'd never be placed there
      today.

      However, the cable route to Half Dome is there today, and it is an
      attraction to many and it draws paying patrons into the valley, I guess,
      hundreds each day who may not visit without this goal for their trip.
      The money generated by these extra visitors is probably the overriding
      economic factor for park management - 500 $20 car entrance tickets alone
      each day is $10,000 in the bank. Do that for 3 months and you have a
      million bucks you may not collect without the cables. Add money spent at
      stores in the valley, and suddenly a set of cables that's not visible
      from anywhere but up close by those who venture up there to take
      advantage of them makes sense. The side effect of heavy trail erosion up
      to the peak is something they have to deal with, though. The steep
      section from Little Yosemite Valley to the HD trail intersection is
      probably the most eroded and widest section of the entire JMT, although
      compared to some French Alsp trails I have been on, this is in perfect
      shape. This is all relative, I guess. In Europe, many trails are built
      by erosion, nothing else.
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 9, 2010
        For a lot of California kids, the Half dome cable route gives them their first "bragging rights" in the outdoors.  While you wouldn't want to take a really little kid up there, it's probably doable safely with many kids (ones that will be careful) at age 10 or so and they are really proud of themselves once they "summit".

      • Barbara Karagosian
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 9, 2010
          But then subtract the costs of SARs and recovery and it may not make so much money for the park after all.

          Cheers, Barbara

          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 9, 2010
            On 12/9/2010 12:27 PM, John Ladd wrote: For a lot of California kids, the Half dome cable route gives them their first "bragging rights" in the outdoors.  While you wouldn't want to take a really little kid up there, it's probably doable safely with many kids (ones that will be careful) at age 10 or so and they are really proud of themselves once they "summit".

            my kids have been outdoors a lot, hang out at the local climbing gym a lot, and have done three JMTs. Still,I would NEVER take them up that route unless they wear full safety harnesses and clip into the cable.  Anything else, well, Darwin works in myterious ways.

          • Peter Burke
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 9, 2010
              On 12/9/2010 12:33 PM, Barbara Karagosian wrote:
              But then subtract the costs of SARs and recovery and it may not make so much money for the park after all.

              but do they pay anything extra for that? They already have the ranger staff, add a few volunteers, and the helicopter is there anyway unless without Half Dome it's not needed any longer? You take the revenue away, what are they using to pay for all those things?

              Interesting that all the statistics in the report don't include one word about actual accidents or the number of SAR calls to that location. Clearly they want to make it safer, so why no numbers on actual incidents? The whole report essentially is about safety on the cables, but only comments on people at one time on the cables without every taking a look at actual events that required SAR and how those may correlate to those high use days. Guess not much stuff actually happens up there, or that data would be in the report.

              On 12/9/2010 7:23 AM, judy wrote:
              > I started the JMT on Friday 30 July last summer and the permit system definitely made that part of the hike much more pleasant with far fewer people on the trail. Those there, in general, seemed much better prepared. Perhaps the permitting process provides an opportunity for some pre-trip education (a good thing) in addition to reducing the numbers on the cables. --Judy

              mostly the pleasant part was due to be out there on the least busy day
              of the week, Friday (average 273 visitors per day, while Monday averaged
              732)

              http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/files/YOSE-Half%20Dome%20Trail%20Use.pdf

              on page 30 of the report you will also see that it was a 250 visitor day
              on July 30, but just the Monday after that date, you would have shared
              the trail with almost 900 people up to Half Dome Trail Junction. Permits
              every day will come for sure to shave those peaks down to the same level
              now seen on weekends and holidays, but it really doesn't address the
              deeper issue - why are these cables up there in the first place?

              I find the whole thing with the cables is a far cry from the whole
              untouched wilderness concept they seem to put so much emphasis on with
              comparably minor impact issues such as fire circles and (the elimination
              of) bear lockers in the backcountry. If the cables had not been put up
              in a period with less concern for impact, they'd never be placed there
              today.

              However, the cable route to Half Dome is there today, and it is an
              attraction to many and it draws paying patrons into the valley, I guess,
              hundreds each day who may not visit without this goal for their trip.
              The money generated by these extra visitors is probably the overriding
              economic factor for park management - 500 $20 car entrance tickets alone
              each day is $10,000 in the bank. Do that for 3 months and you have a
              million bucks you may not collect without the cables. Add money spent at
              stores in the valley, and suddenly a set of cables that's not visible
              from anywhere but up close by those who venture up there to take
              advantage of them makes sense. The side effect of heavy trail erosion up
              to the peak is something they have to deal with, though. The steep
              section from Little Yosemite Valley to the HD trail intersection is
              probably the most eroded and widest section of the entire JMT, although
              compared to some French Alsp trails I have been on, this is in perfect
              shape. This is all relative, I guess. In Europe, many trails are built
              by erosion, nothing else.

            • Kim Fishburn
              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 9, 2010
                I think the last two deaths were a Japanese business man wearing leather souled dress shoes, and someone on the cables when it was wet and slippery. I don't think the number of people had anything to do with it.

                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 9, 2010
                  The subject of Half Dome reminded me of this book.

                  http://www.amazon.com/Off-Wall-Yosemite-Michael-Ghiglieri/dp/0970097360/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_c

                  I think I read about it at http://yosemiteexplorer.com/ . I believe there is a series of similar books on other national parks. Looking at his site I'm reminded that the record for Happy Isles to the top of Half Dome and back is 2:28:18.

                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 9, 2010
                    good find -- I added this to my amazon High Sierra Wish List which we have a link to.

                    I have read this book though:

                    It's available also in audiobook form.

                    On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 1:25 PM, Kim Fishburn <outhiking_55@...> wrote:

                    The subject of Half Dome reminded me of this book.

                    http://www.amazon.com/Off-Wall-Yosemite-Michael-Ghiglieri/dp/0970097360/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_c

                    I think I read about it at http://yosemiteexplorer.com/ . I believe there is a series of similar books on other national parks. Looking at his site I'm reminded that the record for Happy Isles to the top of Half Dome and back is 2:28:18.

                  • John
                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 9, 2010
                      I can pretty much guarantee that leaving the cables in place has nothing to do with USNPS "economics", and everything to do with politics and "private sector" economics. Most of my friends in VERY high places with Yosemite National Park would love to see the cables come down. Indeed, it has been considered. However, it will take a very strong Park superintendent to make that happen.
                      With any luck, over time, the daily Half Dome quota will be reduced to a reasonable number of something less than 100.

                      JD
                      www.johndittli.com

                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Peter Burke <pburke@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > >> The money generated by these extra visitors is probably the overriding
                      > >> economic factor for park management - 500 $20 car entrance tickets alone
                      > >> each day is $10,000 in the bank. Do that for 3 months and you have a
                      > >> million bucks you may not collect without the cables. Add money spent at
                      > >> stores in the valley, and suddenly a set of cables that's not visible
                      > >> from anywhere but up close by those who venture up there to take
                      > >> advantage of them makes sense. The side effect of heavy trail erosion up
                      > >> to the peak is something they have to deal with, though. The steep
                      > >> section from Little Yosemite Valley to the HD trail intersection is
                      > >> probably the most eroded and widest section of the entire JMT, although
                      > >> compared to some French Alsp trails I have been on, this is in perfect
                      > >> shape. This is all relative, I guess. In Europe, many trails are built

                    • Linda Reitz
                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 9, 2010
                        Jophn, I was proud of myself the first time I made the summit at age 55! For us native Californians I think it is almost a rite of passage. To where I don't know.
                        Lind

                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 9, 2010
                          I know 3 died from falls the year I did it. At least one of those was attempting it after the cables had been taken down in the autumn.

                          Cheers, Barbara

                          Message 12 of 30 , Dec 10, 2010
                            Some of you might be interested in efforts remove the dam at Hetch Hetchy in Yosemite.

                            http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2010/12/it-quioxtic-work-towards-restoration-hetch-hetchy-valley-yosemite-national-park7321
                          • herbstroh@charter.net
                            Message 13 of 30 , Dec 10, 2010
                              I hiked half dome about 4 years ago. The number of people on the cables was
                              out-of-control (a Saturday in August). It took us a good 45 minutes to get
                              down. People became impatient, and started to go up and down on the outside
                              of the cables. That works in some places, but they have to come inside to
                              go around obstacles, and do not have the benefit of the 2x4s to perch on
                              while waiting. It started to get ugly.

                              Ahead of me was a 14-15 year old kid who was the last member of his group.
                              He started to panic with the crush of people and didn't want to move. His
                              lead group got too far ahead and apparently did not realize the kid iced
                              over. I had to talk him down, encouraging him to walk down to the next set
                              of poles and 2 bys whenever space opened up.

                              Reaching the bottom there was--no exaggeration--150-200 people lined up to
                              ascend. The line went past where the big rock near the base. I could not
                              believe there was no control over the number of hikers on the cables.

                              When we did the JMT in 2008 I knew I did not want to do HD again. We choose
                              to go to Clouds Rest, and as Peter suggests, it is a far better experience.
                              About 1,000 feet higher, the view is better and we even had it to ourselves
                              for awhile. I am not a big fan of regulating and permitting everything, but
                              in this case the Park Service needs to manage the numbers or pull the
                              cables.

                              Herb

                            • Ed Gilroy

                                Message 15 of 30 , Dec 10, 2010

                                  Ah yes, Half Dome, I remember now!

                                  -postholer

                                • ekacura
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Dec 11, 2010
                                    Thanks for the info on Hetch Hetchy Kim, that's great to hear !!! A tribute to the great John Muir !