Good Ultralight backpacking book

  • Ben Last
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 6, 2010
      I am planning on finishing the JMT in 2012. I was hiking southbound and
      made it to the Bishop Pass exit. A friend was wants to finish the hike with
      me and I wanted to get him a book on ultra light backpacking. Does anyone
      have any suggestions on a good book.
      Thanks
      Ben
    • Don Amundson
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 6, 2010

        Ryan Jordon's book is well worth a look.

        http://www.amazon.com/Lightweight-Backpacking-Camping-Wilderness-Equipment/dp/0974818828

        Dan Ladigin's book is good for some basic's.

        http://www.amazon.com/Lighten-Up-Complete-Ultralight-Backpacking/dp/0762737344/ref=pd_sim_b_3

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 6, 2010
          I like using this guy's site - http://hikinghq.net/

          He has a lot of free resources, including a book listing.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Ben Last <benlast@...> wrote:

          > I am planning on finishing the JMT in 2012. I was hiking southbound and
          > made it to the Bishop Pass exit. A friend was wants to finish the hike with
          > me and I wanted to get him a book on ultra light backpacking. Does anyone
          > have any suggestions on a good book.
          > Thanks
          > Ben

        • rambler4466
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 7, 2010
            Here is the book that got many started: Ray Jardin, Beyond Backpacking
            http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Backpacking-Jardines-Lightweight-Hiking/dp/0963235931