free audiobook--> John Muir "My First Summer in the Sierra"

  • pilastr_agonistes
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 5, 2010
      I'm usually too tired to raise a book to my head, but 2-3 audio chapters sharing a headphone with your tent mate is just brilliant. Don't overlook these FREE audiobooks, especially the hilarious:
      http://librivox.org/my-first-summer-in-the-sierra-by-john-muir/

      While not all librivox recordings are listenable, the above is expertly intoned by one Adrian Praetzellis with the patience and humor of an archaeologist, which he is.

      Librivox offers these works by John Muir http://librivox.org/newcatalog/search.php?title=&author=John+Muir&action=Search

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 14, 2010
        Just a reminder that there are way cheaper MP3 players than the IPod and they often have the advantage of replaceable batteries, avoiding the lack of good recharging options on-trail.  I can get many nights of listening to books at night out of a single AAA battery with my SanDisc Sansa.  You can get them for under $25 with 2 GB capacity, plenty for "reading" purposes if you burn the CDs at high compression.

        Here's a CNET review of MP3s using AAA batteries

        http://reviews.cnet.com/4321-6490_7-6582800.html?tag=mncol;txt