For those who like to listen to audiobooks while hiking, my outdoor related list of audiobooks

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 25, 2010
      My top two passions are hiking and audiobooks.  I love my Apple Ipod Nano for audiobooks as it is the easiest to back up a paragraph or sentence in an audiobook compared to all other devices.  I'm not impressed with the newest Nano, I prefer the prior generation Nano myself.  Anyway, for those who like to be entertained while hiking, here is an outdoor-related list.  I rank those I've read.

      I do admit that while hiking in the high sierras, the hike is too intense for me to listen to audiobooks.  Takes too much concentration.  I find it easier to do the listening on easy hiking in training seasons or while walking around the block.  Some of my friends though do listen to audiobooks on the JMT or HST.  I do find my last day hiking down to Whitney Portal I do listen to an audiobook that day.

      The two best places to get audiobooks are http://www.audible.com or your public library web site, either downloadable audiobooks there or get the CD and rip them to your Ipod using any such programs such as Itunes, Easy Cd Extractor or Tunebite Platinum.

      If you have any favorites, I'd love to hear about them.  They must be available in audiobook form and be outdoor related to get on my outdoor audiobook list.

      List Compiled: 11/25/2010 2:44:17 PM
      folder Stars Read    Audiobook

      nonfict             Andrew Weil and Mark Fenton-2006-Walking-the Ultimate Exercise for Optimum Health

      nonfict             Beck Weathers with Stephen G Mchaud-2000-Left for Dead-My Journey Home from Everest

      nonfict    5    Y    Bill Bryson-2000-In a Sunburned Country

      nonfict    5    Y    Bill Byson-1997-A Walk in the Woods

      nonfict             Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen

      nonfict             Christopher McDougall-2009-Born to Run

      nonfict    5    Y    David G McCullough-2004-The Path between the Seas--The Creation of the Panama Canal-- 1870-1914

      nonfict             David Halberstam-2007-The Coldest Winter-America and the Korean War

      nonfict             David McCullough-1987-The Johnstown flood

      nonfict             Dorcas S. Miller, Editor-2000-Rescue-Stories of Survival from Land and Sea

      nonfict             Douglas Brinkley-2006-The Great Deluge-Hurricane Katrina, New Orleans, and the Mississippi Gulf Coast

      fiction    5    Y    Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child-1996-Mount Dragon

      fiction    5    Y    Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child-1999-Thunderhead

      fiction    5    Y    Douglas Preston-2003-The Codex

      fiction    4    Y    Douglas Preston-2005-Tyrannosaur Canyon

      nonfict    5    Y    Ed Viesturs and David Roberts-2006-No Shortcuts to the Top

      fiction             Edgar Rice Burroughs- (Tarzan Series 01)-1912-Tarzan of  the Apes

      fiction             Edgar Rice Burroughs-(Tarzan Series 03)-1914-The Beasts of Tarzan

      nonfict    2    Y    Francis Parkman-2005-Oregon_Trail

      fiction    3    Y    James Michener-1974-Centennial

      fiction             James Michener-1998-Alaska

      nonfict             John Muir-1894-The Mountains of California

      nonfict             John Muir-1912-The Yosemite

      nonfict             John Muir-1915-Travels in Alaska

      nonfict             John Wesley Powell-1895-Canyons of the Colorado, or The exploration of the Colorado River and its Canyons

      nonfict    3    Y    Jon Krakauer-2007-Into the Wild

      nonfict    5    Y    Jon Krakuer-1997-Into Thin Air

      fiction    5    Y    Kyle Mills-2000-Free Fall

      fiction             Louis L'Amour-1986-Last of the Breed

      nonfict    5    Y    Nando Parrado and Vince Rause-2006-Miracle in the Andes

      fiction    4    Y    Nelson DeMille-2002-Up Country

      fiction    2    Y    Nevada Barr-1997-The Track of the Cat

      fiction              Nevada Barr-1999-Firestorm

      fiction              Nevada Barr-2001-Blood Lure

      fiction              Nevada Barr-2004-High Country

      fiction              Nevada Barr-2005-Hard Truth

      nonfict              Nick Heil-2008-Dark Summit-The True Story of Everest's Most Controversial Season

      fiction    5    Y    Orson Scott Card-1996-Pastwatch-The Redemption of Christopher Columbus

      nonfict    3    Y    Samuel Eliot Morison-1942-Admiral of the Ocean Sea

      nonfict    3    Y    Slavomir Rawicz-1956-The Long Walk

      fiction    4    Y    Trevanian-1972-The Eiger Sanction
    • Bronco
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 25, 2010
        Roleigh, I read most of those. Try my book, Path of the Wolf. I have another soon.

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 26, 2010
          Bronco, is this your book?

          http://www.amazon.com/Path-Wolf-Paul-Flentge/dp/160696979X/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1290781179&sr=8-10

          Path of the Wolf [Perfect Paperback]

          Paul Flentge (Author)

          I could not find any other book of same title there.  Also, I do not see this in audiobook form, is it?

          Thanks!

          Roleigh

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 26, 2010
            That's mine, Roleigh. I forgot it's not available on tape. I refused the audio book on the grounds that the story would have to undergo a 75-page edit. Basically I would have to eliminate a main character and rewrite the story. Thanks for the plug!

            > Bronco, is this your book?
            >
            > http://www.amazon.com/Path-Wolf-Paul-Flentge/dp/160696979X/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1290781179&sr=8-10
            >
            > Path of the Wolf [Perfect Paperback] Paul
            > Flentge<http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_1?_encoding=UTF8&sort=relevancerank&search-alias=books&field-author=Paul%20Flentge>(Author)
            >
            > I could not find any other book of same title there. Also, I do not see
            > this in audiobook form, is it?
            >
            > Thanks!
            >
            > Roleigh
            >

            > On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 12:44 AM, Bronco <dawgbronco@...> wrote:
            >

            > > Roleigh, I read most of those. Try my book, Path of the Wolf. I have
            > > another soon.

          • snkworth
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 28, 2010
              This is a great reading list. Thank you for taking the time to compile it for us. I read a lot but have only a couple of times listened to audio books in the car. I have been tempted to try some audio books on my ipod. Perhaps I will give that a go.

              Plenty of snow here in Mt. Shasta, btw. Stay warm!
            • pilastr_agonistes
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 5, 2010
                I'm usually too tired to raise a book to my head, but 2-3 audio chapters sharing a headphone with your tent mate is just brilliant. Don't overlook these FREE audiobooks, especially the hilarious:
                http://librivox.org/my-first-summer-in-the-sierra-by-john-muir/

                While not all librivox recordings are listenable, the above is expertly intoned by one Adrian Praetzellis with the patience and humor of an archaeologist, which he is.

                Librivox offers these works by John Muir http://librivox.org/newcatalog/search.php?title=&author=John+Muir&action=Search

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 14, 2010
                  Just a reminder that there are way cheaper MP3 players than the IPod and they often have the advantage of replaceable batteries, avoiding the lack of good recharging options on-trail.  I can get many nights of listening to books at night out of a single AAA battery with my SanDisc Sansa.  You can get them for under $25 with 2 GB capacity, plenty for "reading" purposes if you burn the CDs at high compression.

                  Here's a CNET review of MP3s using AAA batteries

                  http://reviews.cnet.com/4321-6490_7-6582800.html?tag=mncol;txt