Re: [John Muir Trail] Conditions

  • Vera Lehmkuhl
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 23 8:11 AM
      well that could be true...the Pemetherine is supposed to stay on thru washings but I will see if I can check on that...bug issues out east are always there....mosquitoes, black flies, ticks, deer flies now, lots o bugs..

      Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Vera Lehmkuhl <vjl_47@y...> wrote:
      > Have you all tried using Pemethrine on your clothing? It repels
      slying insects/ticks..spray on clothes before you go and let dry ..no
      toxic issues on your skin...keeps you from maybe using so much DEEt
      stuff..

      Traditionally mosquitos are not a big issue in August and September.
      Of course with all the water out there this year it could be different.

      If you camp away from wet meadows and standing water sources you avoid
      most mosquito problems. When you are moving they are not a big
      problem. When it becomes cool in the evening they become dormant. One
      thing about hiking from dawn to dusk is that you don't really have
      'insect issues'. you can buy a $.99 mesh head net at Wal-mart and they
      work fine and only weigh 0.2 oz. no hoop, wear a hat.

      The issue of spraying your clothes with is that when you wash your
      clothes in a stream you introduce the chemical into the water source.
      Hey we are all drinking the water out there.

      John muir trail High sierras Alaska outdoors Great outdoors Oregon trail Portland trail blazer ticket