Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Bear Vault vs. Bearikade - stealth camping JMT

  • Vera Lehmkuhl
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 22 8:06 PM
      cool, that helps thanks Ralph...makes sense too. I've read about the restricted places too. On the AT much of the terrain is "uncampable" unless you hammock and want to hang over a cliff ...most places where there is an 8x10 spot have been camped on...is pretty populated...I am looking forward to possibly hiking out west next summer, it'll be a different experience. If I can get my butt out the door ..or not to train, I am planning to hike from approximately Davenport Gap at the north end of the Smokies to in between Hot Springs and Erwin, TN the first week in Oct. I am gettng excited...going to get out the pack tomorrow and pack it up. The weather has cooled off here in IN and it is clear and humidity free and beautiful tonite...ahhh fall best season of the year!! :)

      backpack45scb <rbalcorn@...> wrote:
      Vera, don't know about the AT, but most of the JMT is campable - i.e. near
      water and an approximately level 8x10 spot for a shelter. The places people
      flock are where there is a bear box, and these are listed on the
      sequoia-kings canyon NP website: http://www.nps.gov/seki/bear_box.htm .
      There are a few restricted places, like you have to be 4 miles away from
      Toulumne Meadows, in the Ansel Adams Wilderness several of the lakes don't
      allow camping within 1/4 miles of the outlet. Stay off the high peaks and
      other lightning magnets for safety. Other than that, have at it.
      --
      Ralph Alcorn
      http://www.backpack45.com/camino2.html

      John muir trail High sierras Alaska outdoors Great outdoors Oregon trail Portland trail blazer ticket