JMT Resupply.

  • slyatpct@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 21, 2005
      Hi,

      New to the list and was wondering about resupplying on the JMT next month
      starting Sept 10th.

      I'd like to resupply as I go and a rough itinerary has me at:

      Toulemne Meadows 9/12

      Read's Meadow 9/15

      VVR 9/17 (mail drop)

      Independence 9/24

      Anyone know if all the stores will be open and if Independence has a grocery?
      I may just skip Independence and carry enough out of VVR adding a couple
      days to my maildrop from the store although I dread the extra weight.

      Any other late season issues I should be concerned about? I plan on carrying
      adequate clothing, driducks, a tarp and a 20* bag.

      I'll probably have time, is there a seasonal fishing license? Are there
      fish? (I'm a novice) The best spots and/or maybe a website I can look at?

      Thanks,

      Sly

    • Frank Martin
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 22, 2005
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, slyatpct@a... wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > New to the list and was wondering about resupplying on the JMT next
        month
        > starting Sept 10th.
        >
        > I'd like to resupply as I go and a rough itinerary has me at:
        >
        > Toulemne Meadows 9/12
        >
        > Read's Meadow 9/15
        >
        > VVR 9/17 (mail drop)
        >
        > Independence 9/24
        >
        > Anyone know if all the stores will be open and if Independence has a
        grocery?
        > I may just skip Independence and carry enough out of VVR adding a
        couple
        > days to my maildrop from the store although I dread the extra weight.
        >
        > Any other late season issues I should be concerned about? I plan on
        carrying
        > adequate clothing, driducks, a tarp and a 20* bag.
        >
        > I'll probably have time, is there a seasonal fishing license? Are
        there
        > fish? (I'm a novice) The best spots and/or maybe a website I can
        look at?

        > Thanks,
        >
        > Sly

        There is a small grocery in Independence. It doesn't have a whole lot.
        The is a Post office in Independence also. Most people mail packages
        there. Of course then you have to cordinate your arrival times.

        Independence resupply

        Detour: 9.0 mi walk + 15 mi hitchhike
        Exit Pt: Kersage Pass Trail

        Post Office
        101 South Edwards Street
        Independence, CA 93526
        (619) 878-2210

        Kersage is perhaps the easiest in/out pass in the Sierra. Once you
        come over Gleen Pass there is a trail to Kersarge Lakes. You can camp
        there for the night or there is a campground ($$ )at the base of
        Kersage at Onion Valley. From there you must hitchhike to
        Independence. I've never had any problems as this is a popular
        trailhead. Also from Independence you have the option of hitchiking
        N. to Bishops which has a big grocery store or S to Lone Pine which
        has a fairly lage grocery. There is also an occasional bus.

        Late season issuses.
        There is always the possibility of an early storm. Historically you
        should be fine. Last year there was a very big storm the first week
        of October that trapped a lot of hikers. You should at least consider
        this possibility and what you would do if this oocured. As the season
        gets later you should take a few more precautions.

        There is no seasonal fishing license. You just need the basic license.

        There are plenty of trout, most are pretty small, barbless hooks.
        Golden Trout are the delicacy.

        Edison Lake N of the ferry dock where the Creek comes into the lake
        has perhaps the biggest trout.

        have fun
      • Vera Lehmkuhl
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 22, 2005
          HI SLY!! :)

          Good luck with your hike...I came here to get help and info while planning an aborted summer JMT hike...
          welcome,
          vera

          slyatpct@... wrote:
[...]

          John muir trail High sierras Alaska outdoors Great outdoors Oregon trail Portland trail blazer ticket