Reason to hike the JMT

  • Amanda L Silvestri
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2010
      yes, the Beauty of nature is wonderful and I love the vistas and being one with the mountains and all. I also enjoy the physical challenge of the trail. I also like what is not there.

      There are no telephones ringing, even cell phones can't always get a signal. I hear no sirens racing through the night, neighbors who have their stereo up too loud or who decide to plug in their electric guitar just as I go to bed. No one can send me a FAX. I have no reports to read or write. I have no subordinates asking how or what to do next. There are no clients complaining. There are no court orders to carry out, or politicians to appease. There are no big weighty decisions to make, no ones future to decide. My next step, only involves my feet. There are no helicopters circling and shining spotlights in the middle of the night. There are no traffic jams and no freeways. My toilet does not back up. I get no robo-calls. I hear no gunshots or screaming. I have no fear of gang violence or drive-by shootings. There are no bills to pay. My pen does not leak and my cat does not throw=up on my bed.

      Most of this is true on a day hike as well but the lingering emotional effect stays with me for days, sometimes weeks and it is only on a long trail that I can completely shed myself of all this 21st century urban pollution. Ah, for some peace and quite! On the trail there is only the sound of the wind, a running stream or water fall and the singing of the birds. People, when encountered, are pleasant not hurried, stressed or insane.

      Amanda
    • clairehiker
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 3, 2010
        Thanks for that perspective. C

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Amanda L Silvestri <aslive@...> wrote:

        > yes, the Beauty of nature is wonderful and I love the vistas and being one with the mountains and all. I also enjoy the physical challenge of the trail. I also like what is not there.
        >
        > There are no telephones ringing, even cell phones can't always get a signal. I hear no sirens racing through the night, neighbors who have their stereo up too loud or who decide to plug in their electric guitar just as I go to bed. No one can send me a FAX. I have no reports to read or write. I have no subordinates asking how or what to do next. There are no clients complaining. There are no court orders to carry out, or politicians to appease. There are no big weighty decisions to make, no ones future to decide. My next step, only involves my feet. There are no helicopters circling and shining spotlights in the middle of the night. There are no traffic jams and no freeways. My toilet does not back up. I get no robo-calls. I hear no gunshots or screaming. I have no fear of gang violence or drive-by shootings. There are no bills to pay. My pen does not leak and my cat does not throw=up on my bed.
        >
        > Most of this is true on a day hike as well but the lingering emotional effect stays with me for days, sometimes weeks and it is only on a long trail that I can completely shed myself of all this 21st century urban pollution. Ah, for some peace and quite! On the trail there is only the sound of the wind, a running stream or water fall and the singing of the birds. People, when encountered, are pleasant not hurried, stressed or insane.
        >
        > Amanda

      • Ann Pfeil
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 4, 2010

          Aloha Amanda/All!

          I hope you don’t mind Amanda but I’m going to copy and paste your “Reasons to Hike” into an email to my non or limited hiking friends.  I’m constantly asked why I insist on taking sabbaticals to fuel my addiction to long distance hiking and backpacking.  As we all know, if you have to explain it to someone they’ll never really understand.   After many years of trying to answer the question I now just say self-centered and irresponsible.  Sadly, most seem to agree that that’s what the sport is all about.  So sad!  Maybe hearing it from another with a nicely worded perspective will at least give them a slightly better idea.  I’m not holding my breath but I can hope!  Thank you.