Re: Stream crossings N of Muir Pass?

  • clintcleveland
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 19, 2005
      Hi,

      I was there about two weeks ago and it was fine. Evolution Creek was
      the only thing that I even took off my boots for and it was less than
      waist deep where we crossed. Many people say not to cross at the
      official trail crossing, but further up in the meadow. The crossing at
      the trail actually looked better than the alternative. Have a great
      trip - it's incredibly beautiful right now.

      Clint

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Gruber" <dgruber@a...> wrote:
      > Friends and I are hiking Florence Lake to Muir Pass and back next
      > week. Does anyone have recent info about stream crossings, especially
      > Evo Creek? We have a couple of older folks who are very fit but not
      > agile. We'll take rope, sandals and extra socks. Anything else? Many
      > thanks for any info and advice.
      > Dan
    • Singewald
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 20, 2005
        Dan,

        I just completed the Bishop Pass - Muir Pass - Piute Pass loop (55 miles)
        over the past 3 days and I had no problems with the ford of Evolution Creek.
        I crossed it at 9:30 a.m. about 10 feet upstream of the trail. I crossed
        with only a pair of socks on and the depth never exceeded my knees (I am 6'
        tall). The current was not significant and with hiking sticks it was a very
        simple crossing. During the five minutes that I spent drying my feet and
        lacing up my boots, I watched 4 other "senior" hikers cross as well. They
        choose to go upstream a bit further (25 yards or so). It was a bit
        shallower there but the current was a bit stronger. They made it without
        problems as well.

        I thought I would share a bit more as well... Between the Bishop Pass/JMT
        Junction and the Piute Pass/JMT Junction I crossed paths with at least 50
        JMT south bounders. All indicated that they had run into some nasty weather
        on Monday and Tuesday. Several folks indicated that Muir Pass received a
        dusting of snow on Monday night as well. I also spoke with no less than 10
        people on my way over Bishop Pass that were bailing off the trail as they
        had had enough. Finally, although a second-hand report, one hiker told me
        that he had run into several hikers that were going ultra light without
        tents and were stranded high on Muir Pass on Tuesday night and were in poor
        condition coming off the pass Wednesday morning. Again, I can not confirm
        this as I did not run into them.

        Mosquitoes? In 3 days, I only pulled out the 3M Ultrathon 30% deet and
        head-net one time and that was at Hutchinson Meadows on the Piute Pass
        trail. I didn't encounter a single mosquito at any other point in my 3
        days. This was the first time I have brought along a head-net and I will
        say that I will never hike in the Sierras without it. Simply incredible!

        Take it easy.

        Jeff

        Friends and I are hiking Florence Lake to Muir Pass and back next
        week. Does anyone have recent info about stream crossings, especially
        Evo Creek? We have a couple of older folks who are very fit but not
        agile. We'll take rope, sandals and extra socks. Anything else? Many
        thanks for any info and advice.
        Dan

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Dan Gruber
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 22, 2005
          wrote:
          > Friends and I are hiking Florence Lake to Muir Pass and back next
          > week. Does anyone have recent info about stream crossings,
          especially
          > Evo Creek? We have a couple of older folks who are very fit but not
          > agile. We'll take rope, sandals and extra socks. Anything else? Many
          > thanks for any info and advice.
          > Dan

          Thanks to all for useful and reassuring info!

          Dan
        • Vera Lehmkuhl

            Friends and I are hiking Florence Lake to Muir Pass and back next
            week. Does anyone have recent info about stream crossings, especially
            Evo Creek? We have a couple of older folks who are very fit but not
            agile. We'll take rope, sandals and extra socks. Anything else? Many
            thanks for any info and advice.
            Dan

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            John muir trail High sierras Alaska outdoors Great outdoors Oregon trail Portland trail blazer ticket

          • Singewald
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 22, 2005
              Vera,

              Not sure about a brand. I found it at the local "army-navy" surplus store.
              It is called a ring head net as it has several flexible rings that keep the
              netting several inches off your face and neck. Additionally, it has a
              "skull-cap" sewn into the top with a piece of elastic that keeps in sitting
              perfectly on your head. At the bottom there is a draw string that can be
              pulled to maintain a closer fit at the lower neck. It was so comfortable
              and flexible that I could even sleep with it on.

              What I liked most about it was that it enabled me not to use the Deet on my
              face/neck. I only used Deet on my exposed hands.

              The store is just around the corner so I will stop by there tomorrow and
              check out the brand.

              Jeff

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 22, 2005
                REI has a good ring head net which is excellent for keeping the net
                off your face. It has a pocket on the top into which you tuck the
                head net,
                after you twist the ring, and shut it with a small button. It is
                also good to have hat on with any net.

                Prapanna

              • Vera Lehmkuhl