Re: Stream crossings N of Muir Pass?

  • backpack45scb
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 19, 2005
      No recent experience myself, but heard on one of the forums that earlier
      Evolution Creek at the trail crossing was too dangerous, and people were
      crossing at a big "S" in the creek in Evolution Meadow above the normal
      crossing. I think they said there was a rope strung across at that point. Be
      extremely cautious if using a rope. It's a potential hazard itself.

      My general stream crossing advice:

      Early Season Fording Techniques:

      If you are a PCTer, you will have a number of fast deep crossings requiring
      extreme caution. Evolution Creek is the deepest, sometimes chest high at the
      normal crossing point, but not very fast. Others are not as deep but fast
      and dangerous. Cross in early morning - may be 12 inches lower than late
      afternoon. Tyndall Creek, Bear Creek, south fork of Kings River, Rush Creek,
      Kerrick Canyon (northern Yosemite) are some of the others. Consensus from
      PCT-L forum is to use hiking poles or sticks to get 4 points of contact,
      keep body facing the opposite shore, wear synthetic fast drying clothes,
      take off long pants, unfasten waist belt. If shoes and boots are already wet
      leave them on. Walk between rocks, not on them. If wearing trail runners
      leave them on - some people take socks off. During dry weather if you have
      to cross in your boots, remove socks and boot liners, wipe out boots after
      crossing and reinsert liners. You will walk dry quickly. You need something
      to protect your feet (I have gone barefoot in midsummer and it is painful. I
      have carried lightweight kayak shoes for camp and river crossing - better
      than bare feet. I don't want the weight penalty of Tevas). With normal
      sierra weather you will dry as you walk fairly soon. If chilly, put on
      fleece after crossing.

      --
      Ralph Alcorn
      http://www.backpack45.com/camino2.html

    • clintcleveland
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 19, 2005
        Hi,

        I was there about two weeks ago and it was fine. Evolution Creek was
        the only thing that I even took off my boots for and it was less than
        waist deep where we crossed. Many people say not to cross at the
        official trail crossing, but further up in the meadow. The crossing at
        the trail actually looked better than the alternative. Have a great
        trip - it's incredibly beautiful right now.

        Clint

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Gruber" <dgruber@a...> wrote:
        > Friends and I are hiking Florence Lake to Muir Pass and back next
        > week. Does anyone have recent info about stream crossings, especially
        > Evo Creek? We have a couple of older folks who are very fit but not
        > agile. We'll take rope, sandals and extra socks. Anything else? Many
        > thanks for any info and advice.
        > Dan
      • Singewald
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 20, 2005
          Dan,

          I just completed the Bishop Pass - Muir Pass - Piute Pass loop (55 miles)
          over the past 3 days and I had no problems with the ford of Evolution Creek.
          I crossed it at 9:30 a.m. about 10 feet upstream of the trail. I crossed
          with only a pair of socks on and the depth never exceeded my knees (I am 6'
          tall). The current was not significant and with hiking sticks it was a very
          simple crossing. During the five minutes that I spent drying my feet and
          lacing up my boots, I watched 4 other "senior" hikers cross as well. They
          choose to go upstream a bit further (25 yards or so). It was a bit
          shallower there but the current was a bit stronger. They made it without
          problems as well.

          I thought I would share a bit more as well... Between the Bishop Pass/JMT
          Junction and the Piute Pass/JMT Junction I crossed paths with at least 50
          JMT south bounders. All indicated that they had run into some nasty weather
          on Monday and Tuesday. Several folks indicated that Muir Pass received a
          dusting of snow on Monday night as well. I also spoke with no less than 10
          people on my way over Bishop Pass that were bailing off the trail as they
          had had enough. Finally, although a second-hand report, one hiker told me
          that he had run into several hikers that were going ultra light without
          tents and were stranded high on Muir Pass on Tuesday night and were in poor
          condition coming off the pass Wednesday morning. Again, I can not confirm
          this as I did not run into them.

          Mosquitoes? In 3 days, I only pulled out the 3M Ultrathon 30% deet and
          head-net one time and that was at Hutchinson Meadows on the Piute Pass
          trail. I didn't encounter a single mosquito at any other point in my 3
          days. This was the first time I have brought along a head-net and I will
          say that I will never hike in the Sierras without it. Simply incredible!

          Take it easy.

          Jeff

          Friends and I are hiking Florence Lake to Muir Pass and back next
          week. Does anyone have recent info about stream crossings, especially
          Evo Creek? We have a couple of older folks who are very fit but not
          agile. We'll take rope, sandals and extra socks. Anything else? Many
          thanks for any info and advice.
          Dan

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Dan Gruber
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 22, 2005
            wrote:
            > Friends and I are hiking Florence Lake to Muir Pass and back next
            > week. Does anyone have recent info about stream crossings,
            especially
            > Evo Creek? We have a couple of older folks who are very fit but not
            > agile. We'll take rope, sandals and extra socks. Anything else? Many
            > thanks for any info and advice.
            > Dan

            Thanks to all for useful and reassuring info!

            Dan
          • Vera Lehmkuhl

              Friends and I are hiking Florence Lake to Muir Pass and back next
              week. Does anyone have recent info about stream crossings, especially
              Evo Creek? We have a couple of older folks who are very fit but not
              agile. We'll take rope, sandals and extra socks. Anything else? Many
              thanks for any info and advice.
              Dan

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              John muir trail High sierras Alaska outdoors Great outdoors Oregon trail Portland trail blazer ticket

            • Singewald
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 22, 2005
                Vera,

                Not sure about a brand. I found it at the local "army-navy" surplus store.
                It is called a ring head net as it has several flexible rings that keep the
                netting several inches off your face and neck. Additionally, it has a
                "skull-cap" sewn into the top with a piece of elastic that keeps in sitting
                perfectly on your head. At the bottom there is a draw string that can be
                pulled to maintain a closer fit at the lower neck. It was so comfortable
                and flexible that I could even sleep with it on.

                What I liked most about it was that it enabled me not to use the Deet on my
                face/neck. I only used Deet on my exposed hands.

                The store is just around the corner so I will stop by there tomorrow and
                check out the brand.

                Jeff

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 22, 2005
                  REI has a good ring head net which is excellent for keeping the net
                  off your face. It has a pocket on the top into which you tuck the
                  head net,
                  after you twist the ring, and shut it with a small button. It is
                  also good to have hat on with any net.

                  Prapanna

                • Vera Lehmkuhl