Stream crossings N of Muir Pass?

  • Dan Gruber
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 19, 2005
      Friends and I are hiking Florence Lake to Muir Pass and back next
      week. Does anyone have recent info about stream crossings, especially
      Evo Creek? We have a couple of older folks who are very fit but not
      agile. We'll take rope, sandals and extra socks. Anything else? Many
      thanks for any info and advice.
      Dan
    • backpack45scb
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 19, 2005
        No recent experience myself, but heard on one of the forums that earlier
        Evolution Creek at the trail crossing was too dangerous, and people were
        crossing at a big "S" in the creek in Evolution Meadow above the normal
        crossing. I think they said there was a rope strung across at that point. Be
        extremely cautious if using a rope. It's a potential hazard itself.

        My general stream crossing advice:

        Early Season Fording Techniques:

        If you are a PCTer, you will have a number of fast deep crossings requiring
        extreme caution. Evolution Creek is the deepest, sometimes chest high at the
        normal crossing point, but not very fast. Others are not as deep but fast
        and dangerous. Cross in early morning - may be 12 inches lower than late
        afternoon. Tyndall Creek, Bear Creek, south fork of Kings River, Rush Creek,
        Kerrick Canyon (northern Yosemite) are some of the others. Consensus from
        PCT-L forum is to use hiking poles or sticks to get 4 points of contact,
        keep body facing the opposite shore, wear synthetic fast drying clothes,
        take off long pants, unfasten waist belt. If shoes and boots are already wet
        leave them on. Walk between rocks, not on them. If wearing trail runners
        leave them on - some people take socks off. During dry weather if you have
        to cross in your boots, remove socks and boot liners, wipe out boots after
        crossing and reinsert liners. You will walk dry quickly. You need something
        to protect your feet (I have gone barefoot in midsummer and it is painful. I
        have carried lightweight kayak shoes for camp and river crossing - better
        than bare feet. I don't want the weight penalty of Tevas). With normal
        sierra weather you will dry as you walk fairly soon. If chilly, put on
        fleece after crossing.

        --
        Ralph Alcorn
        http://www.backpack45.com/camino2.html

      • clintcleveland
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 19, 2005
          Hi,

          I was there about two weeks ago and it was fine. Evolution Creek was
          the only thing that I even took off my boots for and it was less than
          waist deep where we crossed. Many people say not to cross at the
          official trail crossing, but further up in the meadow. The crossing at
          the trail actually looked better than the alternative. Have a great
          trip - it's incredibly beautiful right now.

          Clint

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Gruber" <dgruber@a...> wrote:
          > Friends and I are hiking Florence Lake to Muir Pass and back next
          > week. Does anyone have recent info about stream crossings, especially
          > Evo Creek? We have a couple of older folks who are very fit but not
          > agile. We'll take rope, sandals and extra socks. Anything else? Many
          > thanks for any info and advice.
          > Dan
        • Singewald
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 20, 2005
            Dan,

            I just completed the Bishop Pass - Muir Pass - Piute Pass loop (55 miles)
            over the past 3 days and I had no problems with the ford of Evolution Creek.
            I crossed it at 9:30 a.m. about 10 feet upstream of the trail. I crossed
            with only a pair of socks on and the depth never exceeded my knees (I am 6'
            tall). The current was not significant and with hiking sticks it was a very
            simple crossing. During the five minutes that I spent drying my feet and
            lacing up my boots, I watched 4 other "senior" hikers cross as well. They
            choose to go upstream a bit further (25 yards or so). It was a bit
            shallower there but the current was a bit stronger. They made it without
            problems as well.

            I thought I would share a bit more as well... Between the Bishop Pass/JMT
            Junction and the Piute Pass/JMT Junction I crossed paths with at least 50
            JMT south bounders. All indicated that they had run into some nasty weather
            on Monday and Tuesday. Several folks indicated that Muir Pass received a
            dusting of snow on Monday night as well. I also spoke with no less than 10
            people on my way over Bishop Pass that were bailing off the trail as they
            had had enough. Finally, although a second-hand report, one hiker told me
            that he had run into several hikers that were going ultra light without
            tents and were stranded high on Muir Pass on Tuesday night and were in poor
            condition coming off the pass Wednesday morning. Again, I can not confirm
            this as I did not run into them.

            Mosquitoes? In 3 days, I only pulled out the 3M Ultrathon 30% deet and
            head-net one time and that was at Hutchinson Meadows on the Piute Pass
            trail. I didn't encounter a single mosquito at any other point in my 3
            days. This was the first time I have brought along a head-net and I will
            say that I will never hike in the Sierras without it. Simply incredible!

            Take it easy.

            Jeff

            Friends and I are hiking Florence Lake to Muir Pass and back next
            week. Does anyone have recent info about stream crossings, especially
            Evo Creek? We have a couple of older folks who are very fit but not
            agile. We'll take rope, sandals and extra socks. Anything else? Many
            thanks for any info and advice.
            Dan

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Dan Gruber
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 22, 2005
              wrote:
              > Friends and I are hiking Florence Lake to Muir Pass and back next
              > week. Does anyone have recent info about stream crossings,
              especially
              > Evo Creek? We have a couple of older folks who are very fit but not
              > agile. We'll take rope, sandals and extra socks. Anything else? Many
              > thanks for any info and advice.
              > Dan

              Thanks to all for useful and reassuring info!

              Dan
            • Vera Lehmkuhl

                Friends and I are hiking Florence Lake to Muir Pass and back next
                week. Does anyone have recent info about stream crossings, especially
                Evo Creek? We have a couple of older folks who are very fit but not
                agile. We'll take rope, sandals and extra socks. Anything else? Many
                thanks for any info and advice.
                Dan

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                John muir trail High sierras Alaska outdoors Great outdoors Oregon trail Portland trail blazer ticket

              • Singewald
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 22, 2005
                  Vera,

                  Not sure about a brand. I found it at the local "army-navy" surplus store.
                  It is called a ring head net as it has several flexible rings that keep the
                  netting several inches off your face and neck. Additionally, it has a
                  "skull-cap" sewn into the top with a piece of elastic that keeps in sitting
                  perfectly on your head. At the bottom there is a draw string that can be
                  pulled to maintain a closer fit at the lower neck. It was so comfortable
                  and flexible that I could even sleep with it on.

                  What I liked most about it was that it enabled me not to use the Deet on my
                  face/neck. I only used Deet on my exposed hands.

                  The store is just around the corner so I will stop by there tomorrow and
                  check out the brand.

                  Jeff

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 22, 2005
                    REI has a good ring head net which is excellent for keeping the net
                    off your face. It has a pocket on the top into which you tuck the
                    head net,
                    after you twist the ring, and shut it with a small button. It is
                    also good to have hat on with any net.

                    Prapanna

                  • Vera Lehmkuhl