Re: [John Muir Trail] Bear Vault vs. Bearikade

  • Prapanna Smith
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 19, 2005
      Actually, I did have a bear incident when I camped my the bridge in
      upper lyell Canyon. A large brown bear (I know, they are technically
      black bears, but this was brown in color) came up behind me and gave my
      Bearikade a good wack. I thought a pine cone fell from a tree
      and, when I turned around, there was this big guy perched over my
      canister. He did not give a damn for my presence and simply strolled
      slowly out of the camp while I yelled at him. I don't think my noise
      drove him off though; he just left when he knew he could not get the
      food.

      I was able to get my Expedition tightly fit into my Golite Jam Pack,
      which is the smallest and lightest pack they have, with all my other
      gear packed above and below the canister. The pack and canister worked
      very well together. In fact, by going lightweight (my lightest
      yet with 12 pounds base weight) I had the most comfortable and easy
      hike ever, despite it was more than twice the distance of any previous
      hike (I did the JMT this year).

      Prapanna

      A vast surrender was his only strength.
      Savitri Book 3, Canto 2

      On Aug 19, 2005, at 12:24 AM, Catra Corbett wrote:

      > I have done the JMT 5 times and have never seen a bear when I've been
      > out there fast packing..
      >
      > I don't bring a stove so I don't cook any food.  Maybe that's why I'm
      > not attracting them.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Catra
      >

      > Dave <idahomtman@...> wrote:
      > I originally purchased the Bear Vault for my JMT in July, but sold it
      > and purchased a Bearikade Weekender. I couldn't have been more
      > pleased. Though the Bearikade cost $195, it is solid, lighter weight,
      > easy for a human to open and extremely well made. I painted a big
      > orange stripe in the middle of the can and that makes it easy to
      > locate. The Bearikade is a little smaller, but I had no problem
      > carrying enough food from MTR to WP.
      >
      > I saw a lot of Bear Vault's on the trail and a lot of Garcia cans
      > also. I was surprised at the number of Bearikade canisters I saw. I
      > have to wonder if people have become a little complacent regarding how
      > they handle the entire situation (i.e., where do you prepare food in
      > relation to where you camp and where you locate your canister at
      > night). Are you camping in "campgrounds" or stealth camping.
      >
      > I camped below Forester at 11,400' on the north side and saw no sign
      > of bear but I had heard stories of others who had had problems. As a
      > matter of fact, I never saw a bear on my trip.

      > John muir trail High sierras Alaska outdoors Great outdoors Oregon
      > trail Portland trail blazer ticket

      >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
      > Service.

      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      >
      > ▪  Visit your group "johnmuirtrail" on the web.

      > Service.

    • Vera Lehmkuhl
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 19, 2005
        ***OK I have to ask this, it may seem stupid sorry...I know what stealth camping means on the AT...but it seems like there are less places on the JMT where you can stealth camp and most places are in the guidebook ...are you guys talking about places other then the ones cited in the guidebook or are they one and the same? Do bears show up at these places or only really populated campgrounds like Reds etc....? Hope this makes sense...essentially I want to know if the stealth campsites you all are talking aobut are the same places that are mentioned in the guidebook...or are there places off trail that are not mentioned...ack...

        vera

        Several of the group have mentioned 'stealth camping'. If you do this
        the chances of bear encouters are slim. There are always a few
        'rogues' out there each year and you may run into to them. If you are
        off by yourself and keep where you sleep clean and odor free not much
        chance.

      • Vera Lehmkuhl
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 19, 2005
          Oh for heaven's sake..how do you guys do it? Ican't get my weight down below 25 to 30lbs...I did very well in March...my pack was what weighed the most...I lost 4 lbs going to a new pack...

          Thought I would share with you all what happened to my JMT hike, just a little so not to bore you all.

          I was into a savings program to go and every time I put $$$ away something would break, my car, my kid, my condo something. Then I pulled one of my mathmatically challenged deals and had checkbook issues seemed like one thing after another...I could not get any money saved. I had a pregnant daughter due a week before we left which was a minor issue. Final straw my car really broke and I felt I had to buy a new one rather than burn another $750 in a year on a 6 yr old car. Soooo...I gave up I resigned myself to not going....Jane decided to go on ...then about mid July with our departure date the 30th she decided not to go due to the conditions in the park...(we live in IN we don't hear a lot of stuff about CA cept how bad it was)

          Turned out that my granddaughter was born a tad bit early but had issues. She ended up in NICU for 3.5 weeks after her birth...I would not have left ...would have lost my ticket money...so all that time I couldn't save it was just not meant to be...so I have the JMT on the short list along with a 3 week AT hike that was tentatively planned prior to cancellation for 2006. Hopefully, it'll be a better weather year as we have issues with Retail shows etc getting in the way of an Aug hike.

          sooo, I will continue to hang out here and absorb the good vibes and info...
          thanks,

        • Frank Martin
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 20, 2005
            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Vera Lehmkuhl <vjl_47@y...> wrote:
            > Oh for heaven's sake..how do you guys do it? Ican't get my weight
            down below 25 to 30lbs...I did very well in March...my pack was what
            weighed the most...I lost 4 lbs going to a new pack...

            And really that is the simplest step. I picked up a GG Vapor Trail at
            an REI Garage sale last week($14.00). It looked like it had been on
            the trail for only a few days but was overpacked and the expansion
            sleeve was torn along the seem. I had it professionally repaired and
            it is as good as new.

            Actually it is really easy to have a low base weight in the Sierra. I
            wouldn't go as far as saying conditions are predictible but there is a
            certain range of predictability. There isn't or very rarely constant
            rain like you have back East. During hiking season you do get
            afternoon thunderheads and incredible lightening ans thunder. You get
            a brief storm (rain or hail)and then it moves on. It very rarely rains
            at night. Despite being at high elevation it is hot. It cools at
            night and it is cool in the morning and as you get to mid-September it
            does get cold and you could have an early snow. I know last year
            there was an early dusting on about September 23 as I was there. Last
            year also had an early storm during the first week of October that
            trapped a lot of summer hikers. So basically as the season get later
            you add gear.

            So for whenever the hiking season starts till the last week in Sept.
            my upper layers consist of
            lite tee shirt
            Patagonia R.5 fleece
            Marmot Dri-clime Arrow winshirt

            I know the Dri-clime is heavier than other shirts but it is lined and
            really functions as two layers.

            For raingear I use an Intergal Designs sil-nylon poncho.
            This also serves as my pack cover during a rain storm and at night it
            sets up as a tarp with trekking poles. This year during my JMT I
            never set it up. Last year I did. I just hiked longer days this year
            andby the time I was ready to sleep there was no threat of rain.
            This year I did carry an Equinox bivy. It weighs in at about 0.8 oz.
            It basically is sil-nylon bottom with nextex or something on the top.
            I did that just to keep condensation off my sleeping bag. I used an
            overstuffed WM megalite. It weighs about 1lb 10 oz with the overstuff.
            I am a warm sleeper.
            This gear has served me year after year. It is only used for
            backpacking and I maintain it with various Nikwax products. I am happy
            with it.

            If I go backpackig with someone else and it is more of a social
            occasion I bring a Six Moons Designs Europa II tent. It weighs in at
            2 lbs has a floor and bug netting. Last year I used a Go-Lite lair II
            Tarp. It worked fine.

            sooo, I will continue to hang out here and absorb the good vibes and
            info...
            > thanks,

            Sorry it didn't work out for you this year.It is an odd year and a
            rather short hiking season with all the snow. I know last year I
            started in mid-June due to low snow levels. This year i started July
            13 and was a bit dubious. The JMT is a great hike.

            The best way to figure out trail conditions is to follow
            trailjournals.com and read what is going on with the Northbound
            PCT'ers. They start in mid-April at the Mexican Border and arrive at
            the Sierra early June.

            I come and go from this list but if you need any local assistance next
            year for your hike just write me. I live in the Bay Area.

            good luck

          • Vera Lehmkuhl
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 20, 2005
              ##I would totally agree with this...my 4 lb Lowe went belly up (4200 ccpack) and I had to borrow something quickly...lovely pack really a Gregory Wind River but a MONSTER..nicest carrying pack I've ever used...sigh...However, I got a Granite Gear Kia which I think I am going to love even more...converted my hiking partner, Jane to lighter pack (she's using it too, it was her Wind River! so she lost 4 lbs off her weight also)

              And really that is the simplest step. I picked up a GG Vapor Trail at
              an REI Garage sale last week($14.00). It looked like it had been on
              the trail for only a few days but was overpacked and the expansion
              sleeve was torn along the seem. I had it professionally repaired and
              it is as good as new.

              #way to go

              Actually it is really easy to have a low base weight in the Sierra. I
              wouldn't go as far as saying conditions are predictible but there is a
              certain range of predictability. There isn't or very rarely constant
              rain like you have back East. my upper layers consist of
              lite tee shirt
              Patagonia R.5 fleece
              Marmot Dri-clime Arrow winshirt

              **the Arrow is a nice shirt...I was going to carry

              Ice breaker Featherweight Tshirt...wool nicest, best piece of gear I've ever worn...awesome stuff, Icebreaker Tank, Icebreaker Midweight zipt or 100 weight Ground Fleece, GoLite Either WindJacket, Probably my Packa rain poncho/packcover, wear convertible pants, carry rain pants maybe. Eventually, I'll replace the 100 fleece combo with a Golite Kinetic Jacket

              I use a BA Seedhouse SL1 tent about 2 lbs 10

              would most likely bring a pair of shorts and top to sleep in... 3 pairs socks ...I have feet issues...:)

              For raingear I use an Intergal Designs sil-nylon poncho.
              This also serves as my pack cover during a rain storm and at night it
              sets up as a tarp with trekking poles.

              This year I did carry an Equinox bivy. It weighs in at about 0.8 oz.

              ###I have one too and think its a great combo with a tarp...I sometimes tarp here in east in winter (no bugs...)

              I used an overstuffed WM megalite. It weighs about 1lb 10 oz with the overstuff.
              ***I have been testing the Montbell Down Hugger series bags, I am allergic to down, and have to say that they are reallllly nice. Light, warm, stretchy...and the really did not bother my allergy too much if at all...they will produce a synthetic version of it next year which I will try to test...:)

              thanks Frank for the info and I will keep you posted concerning plans. This year flights into LA were cheaper and it was just a matter of getting to the trailhead...ends closer evidently to LA at Whitney...so we'll see but a thousand thanks for the offer,

              John muir trail High sierras Alaska outdoors Great outdoors Oregon trail Portland trail blazer ticket

            • Catra Corbett
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 21, 2005
                Frank-

                Yes my good buddy, David Horton broke the fast pack record on the PCT in 65 days, I believe.

                I know someone who is going to try to break that record next year. I can't say his name, but he will be able to do it!!!

                I will go for the woman's record next year.

                Cheer,
                Catra

                Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:
                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Catra Corbett <catrarunner@y...>
                wrote:
                > I have done the JMT 5 times and have never seen a bear when I've
                been out there fast packing..

                > I don't bring a stove so I don't cook any food. Maybe that's why
                I'm not attracting them.

                > Cheers,
                > Catr

                I've never seen one on the JMT either. I've seen them in campgrounds
                at the Portal and have seen bears on other trails I've done.
                These were wild bears not 'food stealing bears'. Really beautiful to
                encounter.

                Hey when you fastpack and don't cook and moving as fast as you go you
                won't see a bear.

                Several of the group have mentioned 'stealth camping'. If you do this
                the chances of bear encouters are slim. There are always a few
                'rogues' out there each year and you may run into to them. If you are
                off by yourself and keep where you sleep clean and odor free not much
                chance.

                Did that ultra-runner finish the PCT this year. How many days did it
                take him? I forget his name. I know Montrail was sponsoring him. he
                was a 53 year old schooh from VA or W. VA.

                John muir trail High sierras Alaska outdoors Great outdoors Oregon trail Portland trail blazer ticket

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 21, 2005
                  That's about 40 miles a day!! Where on the web is there some
                  information/proof of this incredible feat?

                  Prapanna

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 21, 2005
                    OK. I'll answer my own questions after having done a Google search.
                    Here it is:

                    http://www.extremeultrarunning.com/

                    Amazing!!

                    Prapanna

                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 21, 2005
                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Prapanna Smith <prapanna@e...>
                      wrote:
                      > That's about 40 miles a day!! Where on the web is there some
                      > information/proof of this incredible feat?
                      >
                      > Prapanna

                      Here is Prapanna.

                      http://www.montrail.com/assets/Misc%20Copy/horton_log.htm

                      There are various records for PCT (as I understand). This is a record
                      for a supported hike.

                      There was a Englishman out there this year I think his trailname was
                      'Squeaky' who started at the 'kickoff' and was well into Oregon in
                      early July. His hike was unsupported.

                      Considering the conditions out there this year really an incredible
                      journey for all. I really have a lot of respect for PCT Class of 2005.
                      Amazing year.