Re: Bear Vault bear canisters

  • Will Schmidt
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 18, 2005
      I ran into a guy on the JMT last week that had his Bear Vault ripped
      open. He was camping below Forester Pass and a bear ripped the top off
      of the Bear Vault and ate 18 lbs of food during the night. Another
      person I met said that a ranger told him to put his Bear Vault in a
      bear locker because the canisters can no longer be trusted. Bears have
      figured out a way to open them by jumping on the canister until they
      break open or the top breaks off. I would advise people to avoid these
      canisters.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <ibsavnu@y...> wrote:

      > Just a quick note to let you all know that a bear south of Whitney
      has
      > figured out how to open a Bear Vault bear canister. What the rangers
      > at Lone Pine figure is it watched someone open one and just kind of
      > muscles it past the locking tabs. It (the bear) has already broken
      > into 3 or 4 of them. If the bear can't open it they said it just
      jumps
      > on it till it breaks open. Still no issues with the Garcia bear
      > canister.
      >
      > Steve
      > JMT '04
    • John Lovaas
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 18, 2005
        > I ran into a guy on the JMT last week that had his Bear Vault
        ripped
        > open. He was camping below Forester Pass and a bear ripped the
        top off
        > of the Bear Vault and ate 18 lbs of food during the night.

        The BearVault folks have had a report of someone installing the lid
        incorrectly and having its' contents pilfered.

        > Another
        > person I met said that a ranger told him to put his Bear Vault in
        > bear locker because the canisters can no longer be trusted. Bears
        have
        > figured out a way to open them by jumping on the canister until
        they
        > break open or the top breaks off. I would advise people to avoid
        these
        > canisters.

        And yet the manufacturer has received NO reports of the canisters
        failing in this manner, nor have any canisters failed in any gear
        review tests in similar fashion(being hurled off of cliffs, fer
        example).

        When somebody said somebody said.... I'd suggest waiting for
        documentation.

        jl
      • Frank Martin
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 18, 2005
          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "John Lovaas" <jlovaas@m...> wrote:
          > > I ran into a guy on the JMT last week that had his Bear Vault
          > ripped
          > > open. He was camping below Forester Pass and a bear ripped the
          > top off
          > > of the Bear Vault and ate 18 lbs of food during the night.
          >
          > The BearVault folks have had a report of someone installing the lid
          > incorrectly and having its' contents pilfered.
          >
          > > Another
          > > person I met said that a ranger told him to put his Bear Vault in
          > > bear locker because the canisters can no longer be trusted. Bears
          > have
          > > figured out a way to open them by jumping on the canister until
          > they
          > > break open or the top breaks off. I would advise people to avoid
          > these
          > > canisters.
          >
          > And yet the manufacturer has received NO reports of the canisters
          > failing in this manner, nor have any canisters failed in any gear
          > review tests in similar fashion(being hurled off of cliffs, fer
          > example).
          >
          > When somebody said somebody said.... I'd suggest waiting for
          > documentation.
          >
          > jl

          I suggest not buying one until the documentation comes also. If any
          of this is so they will lose their certification.

          What you most likely have is a 'rogue bear' who has figured out how to
          open these. Last year a 'rogue bear' was ripping packs off people
          backs in the vicinty or Kersage Pass.

          The purpose of these groups is a sharing of information. It helps all
          of us. If someone told you (that someone told them) that a trail had
          washed out and if you took that trail you would fall off a cliff would
          you still take it.

          People on trails share information. I have always found the info
          shared as truthful.

        • Vera Lehmkuhl
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 18, 2005
            ***Frank, you're cracking me up...this line I nearly spewed....:)

            I asked him how old they were when they first started trying.

            It is just there are many who do have
            problems and after hikig all day who feels like doing a battle with
            your bear can so you can eat.

            **Heck I can't stand tweaking my stove so that I have to eat....can't imagine wrestling the cannister...told Janie today we needed to ante up for the bearikade next year...sigh...

            back atyou,

            Happy trails.

            John muir trail High sierras Alaska outdoors Great outdoors Oregon trail Portland trail blazer ticket

          • Frank Martin
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 19, 2005
              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Vera Lehmkuhl <vjl_47@y...> wrote:

              > **Heck I can't stand tweaking my stove so that I have to
              eat....can't imagine wrestling the cannister...told Janie today we
              needed to ante up for the bearikade next year...sigh...

              > back atyou,

              > Happy trails.

              I used the Jetboil for the JMT this year. I am solo and have used
              alcohol stoves in the past. I never thought I would like the Jetboil
              but saw one for next to nothing at an REI garage sale and got it.

              I loved it. I dehydrate all my own food. At somepoint in the hike I
              soak the food for evening and double-bag it. Basically after that I
              am just boiling water. It just was so simple,fast and efficient. I
              did my entire hike on one 250 gram canister boiling 4X/day with fuel
              left over. The time savings and less hassle compared to alcohol
              really sold me on that system. I do a 'Jardine thing' where I stop by
              a creek and soak my feet and change my socks out a couple of times a
              day. In the afternoons when doing this I usually have some miso soup.
              Those small light packets that you get at the Chinese grocery. With
              the jetboil I could be doing all this at the same time.

              I can see how this stove wouldn't work for everyone and all types of
              food. If you are actually cooking your food and in a larger group no
              way. But as for boiling water and heating up re-hydrated food it is
              great.

              As far as the Bearikade goes I would take a close look at the
              Expedition vs the Weekender. It is a lot bigger but really just has
              more uses than the weekender. Any time you go group backpacking and
              can save the additional weight of a second bear can you are lbs ahead.
              But a lot depends on just how much other gear you carry. The
              Expedition doesn't fit sideways in a pack but goes in vertically. You
              then pack your other gear around it. For me it is no problem as I
              have a low baseweight.. Also it won't fit in some packs like the
              Granite Gear vapor or barely in the Mountainsmith Ghost.
              I have used it successfully in Go-lite packs I used the Gust last year
              and this year I went with a ULA P-2. But really you don't need that
              much gear for a Sierra hike. Unfortunately people find that out the
              hard way.

              have fun,
            • John Lovaas
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 19, 2005
                Hi Frank-

                Yes, I had read the gear review of the earlier model of BearVault.
                The two conditions that caused difficult opening were icing(which
                could be remedied by tapping the edge of the lid against an
                appropriate object- like my head) and sand and grit- which is the
                bane of any threaded device.

                You had also mentioned that there were discussions of BearVault
                difficulties on the BackpackingLight group. I searched the messages
                all the way back to the introduction of BearVaults, and found only
                one comment- from someone who had difficulty opening it in the
                store. A store employee could have assisted there, I bet, thus
                making a sale. And then of course your toungue-in-cheek response to
                the developer of the BearVault.

                As to documentation of BearVault "incidents", I'd like to get
                some "who-what-where-when" before giving up on them. To elaborate
                on your analogy-

                >>>If someone told you (that someone told them) that a trail had
                washed out and if you took that trail you would fall off a cliff
                would you still take it.<<<

                A corollary would be that an unknown individual told someone I just
                met on the trail that a portion of the JMT was washed out- can't
                tell you where, can't tell you when, and can't tell you if trail
                crews had addressed the issue.

                So I'd have to continue my hike- not enough information. I'd do my
                best not to walk into space.

                And Vera- are you simply pressing against the arrow on the lid of
                the BV? Playing with my home scale, it appears I'm applying 2-3
                pounds of force to get the lid tab to pass by the container tab. I
                hold the BV between my knees, and press with one hand. I do have
                issues with arthritis and carpal tunnel, BTW. I am not the governor
                of CA ;-)

                jl
              • Vera Lehmkuhl
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 19, 2005
                  ***the good news Frank is that Jetboil actually now makes an expander that you can attach to the Jetboil to allow it to use larger stoves. Yeah you lose the heat exchanger but is small thing to give up for versatility. Also, make a coffee press for it too. I love the jetboil and am going to probably switch out to it when next I hike ...I have used alcohol stove too. It rocks...

                  If you are actually cooking your food and in a larger group no
                  way. But as for boiling water and heating up re-hydrated food it is
                  great.

                  As far as the Bearikade goes I would take a close look at the
                  Expedition vs the Weekender. It is a lot bigger but really just has
                  more uses than the weekender. Any time you go group backpacking and
                  can save the additional weight of a second bear can you are lbs ahead.
                  But a lot depends on just how much other gear you carry. The
                  Expedition doesn't fit sideways in a pack but goes in vertically. You
                  then pack your other gear around it. For me it is no problem as I
                  have a low baseweight.. Also it won't fit in some packs like the
                  Granite Gear vapor or barely in the Mountainsmith Ghost.
                  *****I have a Granite Gear Kia...nice pack I can fit the Bear Vault up and down and get gear in I think but if the Bearikade is much bigger then I'll be SOL...

                  I'll check it out tho. Nice to hear the gear review on the JB. I am experimenting with a rehydrating sleeve...one made for me by friend...looks like the AntiGravity gear one...and ziplock bags. You put food in ziplock, pour boiling water in, stir, pop it in the sleeve and in 5-10 minute have hot cooked noodles etc...is working ok...

                  vera

                • Vera Lehmkuhl
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 19, 2005
                    And Vera- are you simply pressing against the arrow on the lid of
                    the BV? Playing with my home scale, it appears I'm applying 2-3
                    pounds of force to get the lid tab to pass by the container tab. I
                    hold the BV between my knees, and press with one hand. I do have
                    issues with arthritis and carpal tunnel, BTW. I am not the governor
                    of CA ;-)

                    jl

                    jl,
                    Yes I am doing the same thing as you are and I work in a gear store so couldn't sell it cauze I can't open it!! :) HA I am laughing here so dont' be upset...I pushed, I grunted, I stomped, I hit it on my head (hey I thought if it worked for you...:) couldn't get it to budge...and yes I have all those things too like bad fingers and carpal tunnel etc etc, athletes feet, stubed toes you name it I've had it..

                    Id' walk on too...:) so I just figure I'm gonna starve unless I get a different vault...however the one I have is free so I think I'll keep trying....:)

                    nite all, you guys make me laugh..thanks,

                    oh btw...I am tentatively trying to think about maybe hiking JMT next year...hopefully no grandbabies will arrive right before my hike..
                    So I'd have to continue my hike- not enough information. I'd do my
                    best not to walk into space.

                    John muir trail High sierras Alaska outdoors Great outdoors Oregon trail Portland trail blazer ticket

                  • Bill Holt
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 20, 2005
                      I have one of the orginal Bear Vault BV100's with the upgraded lid
                      making it a BV110 (A no hassle free upgrade from Bear Vault). As
                      reported that lid can be hard to open or close.

                      That said the new models the BV300 and BV250 are very easy and quick to
                      open and close. I've purchased a BV250 to use on short trips not so
                      much because of the weight savings but because of its smaller size.

                      The Backpacklinglight Yahoo Group thread on this topic is fairly
                      enlighting since Bearvault has responded there with information on
                      the "reported" failures. They've also posted a notice on their site
                      regarding potential issues with the lids on the BV300 and BV250.

                      The BV300/350's have some tolerance issues that require the user to pay
                      attention when closing lids that are slightly out of tolerance.

                      It so happens that the display model in the REI where I purchased my
                      BV250 had this tolerance issue. I was able to have hands on experience
                      compensating for it and didn't find it a big deal.

                      I also have a Garcia and find the new BV300/250 models much easier to
                      work with than the Garcia. My perception right now is that the
                      BV300/250 especially the BV250 are the best bang for you buck approved
                      bear cannisters on the market today.

                      Here's the link to the Bear Vault notice.
                      http://www.bearvault.com/bearvault_productnotices.php

                      Bill in Sacramento