Grocery store menu

  • ned@mountaineducation.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 14, 2010
      When I hiked the Crest too long ago, I gained 20 pounds along the way. Of course, I was a skinny 17-year-old who was still growing. However, my menu consisted of whatever I could put together from a normal Supermarket with a little F-D help once a week for one dinner. I planned a menu for four, although there were only two of us (to Lassen, then it was just me).

      I really appreciated having lots of extra food to eat because I had snow from the base of the Sierra all the way to Chinook Pass outside of Mt. Rainer and you know how difficult it is to walk in snow!

      I still do about the same sort of menu planning: go to the store and pig out. I carry it even if it weighs a ton because there is always a day when I'll want more to eat. Now, for short trips of less than a week, my body isn't as hungry, but after that, it sure is!
      I don't bother trying to figure out how many calories are in whatever type of meal, I just bring what I like to eat when I'm out there--the key is to know just that, what works for you when you're in whichever season, at whatever altitude, going however fast over which terrain or snow, and so forth. If you don't know through test runs, then I guess you gotta listen to others' advice (what worked for them) and hope you don't starve!

      Ned Tibbits, Director
      Mountain Education
      1106A Ski Run Blvd
      South Lake Tahoe, Ca. 96150