Sierra winter weather advisory

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 4, 2010

      Statement as of 4:19 AM PDT on October 04, 2010

      ... Winter Weather Advisory in effect from 5 PM this afternoon to
      11 am PDT Tuesday above 8500 feet...

      The National Weather Service in Hanford has issued a Winter
      Weather Advisory above 8500 feet for periods of snow and gusty
      winds... which is in effect from 5 PM this afternoon to 11 am PDT
      Tuesday for the southern Sierra Nevada from Yosemite park to
      Sequoia Park.

      * Snow accumulations: 2 to 4 inches of snow is likely from the
      8500 to 9000 foot elevations and above... with heavier snow
      confined to the highest peaks and ridges above 10000 feet.

      * Timing: colder air will arrive late this afternoon with rain
      changing to snow over the crest by early this evening. The snow
      level will continue to lower overnight.

      * Locations include: Tioga Pass in Yosemite park... and other roads
      above 9000 feet in the back country such as to Lake Thomas
      Edison and Mono Hot Springs... Florence Lake... and certainly the
      Pacific crest trail.

      * Winds: gusty winds to 45 mph are possible along the crest.

      * Impacts: campers and hikers in the High Sierra should move to
      lower elevations... or prepare for winter weather. Road closures
      at and above 9000 feet are possible.

      Precautionary/preparedness actions...

      A Winter Weather Advisory means that periods of snow will cause
      travel difficulties. Be prepared for slippery roads and limited
      visibilities... and use caution while driving. Campers and hikers
      should seek lower elevations.

      Bingham

      Weather.Gov/Hanford
    • Rebecca Sowards-Emmerd
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 4, 2010
        I see some fresh snow on Basin mountain on the Bishop weather web cam:

        Also, I just heard that Tioga pass is temporarily closed as of this morning due to the storm.

      • ned@mountaineducation.org
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 4, 2010
          Had a helluva night last night with all the thunder, lightning, and heavy rain! Sure was a joy, though, to see the snow up on Heavenly's peaks behind the cabin this morning....

          Ned Tibbits, Director
          Mountain Education
          1106A Ski Run Blvd
          South Lake Tahoe, Ca. 96150
              P: 888-996-8333
              F: 530-541-1456
[...]

          __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5503 (20101004) __________

          http://www.eset.com
        • Kim Fishburn
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 5, 2010
            Cool video over on Yosemiteblog.com on glaciers. It appears to be for a new Yosemite Notes video that hasn't been released yet.

            http://yosemiteblog.com/2010/10/04/video-behind-the-scenes-of-ynn-feature-glaciers/
          • John
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 5, 2010
              That's pretty cool. In general the Yosemite Notes series is very good and informative, the one on Frazel Ice is great.

              JD
              www.johndittli.com

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Kim Fishburn <outhiking_55@...> wrote:

              > Cool video over on Yosemiteblog.com on glaciers. It appears to be for a new
              > Yosemite Notes video that hasn't been released yet.
              >

              > http://yosemiteblog.com/2010/10/04/video-behind-the-scenes-of-ynn-feature-glaciers/

            • Barbara Karagosian
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 5, 2010
                Frazel ice is amazing. Saw loads of it at the base of Yosemite Falls a coue of winters ago.

                Cheers, Barbara