Re: [John Muir Trail] Elevation

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2010
      The group's Files: Planning and Transportation section has excel spreadsheet versions of Elizabeth Wenk's datapoints (mile, location descripton, elevation). Thanks again to her and Wilderness Press for allowing us to post them.

      Look at this link

      for the various files ending ".xls"

      With a bit of knowledge of how to use a spreadsheet you can sort the data the way you prefer, add and delete columns and rows to meet your needs and use various formulas to calculate interval distances and elevation changes.

      For example, if you end up with mileages in your direction in column E had mileage and elevation in Column H,

      Say row 4 is Little Yos valley Mile 4.4 (Cell E4) with an elevation of 6130 (Cell H4) and
      and row 5 is Half Dome Junction at mile 6.0 (Cell E5) and elevation 7015 (Cell H5)

      this Excell cell formula would calculate the elevation gain of line 5 relative to line 4

      =Sum(H5,-H4)

      And this would give you the mileage between those two points

      =Sum(E5,-E4)

      If you've worked with spreadsheets before, you won't find it too hard.  If you haven't, you might enjoy learning how to use them.  Once you get the technique down, on many trails you can find datapoints of mileages and elevations and use a spreadsheet to give you a useful printout.  They are particularly good, of course, if you carry an altimeter.

      On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 10:36 AM, David & Rachel <rachelanddave@...> wrote:

      Does anybody know of a free tool that let's you calculate the mileage and ascent/descent between certain points on the jmt?

    • BillHilton
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 4, 2010
        check out this available CD http://www.silcom.com/~mtnimage/ I have used it for years, gives milages, elevations, photos of all trails in the Sierras. I bought it 10 years ago and have updated it. I assumed he is still in business as his web page still exists. I am very high on it.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, David & Rachel <rachelanddave@...> wrote:

        > Does anybody know of a free tool that let's you calculate the mileage and ascent/descent between certain points on the jmt?

      • Kim Fishburn
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 4, 2010
          I've always liked these CD's but I consider the southern one to be the better of the two. Since he's in Santa Barbara I figured he'd hiked the southern sierras more. There are also a lot of photos from a few cross country routes he'd done such as the Recesses off of Mono Creek and the Lake Italy area.

          check out this available CD http://www.silcom.com/~mtnimage/ I have used it for years, gives milages, elevations, photos of all trails in the Sierras. I bought it 10 years ago and have updated it. I assumed he is still in business as his web page still exists. I am very high on it.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, David & Rachel <rachelanddave@...> wrote:

          > Does anybody know of a free tool that let's you calculate the mileage and ascent/descent between certain points on the jmt?

        • Amanda L Silvestri
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 5, 2010
            This looks to be a great resource that combines the information that I have scattered among many books, maps, photographs and WEB Sites into one easy to use tool. I have just ordered it and can't wait to start "walking" the trails.

            Amanda