Re: [John Muir Trail] Frogs

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2010
      Anti freeze blood that makes them go hard and crunchy when frozen and they clink when you drop them?? Are these researchers torturing frogs!

      Cheers, Barbara

      On Oct 1, 2010, at 9:38 AM, Peter Burke <pburke@...> wrote:

      On 10/1/2010 11:22 AM, Barbara Karagosian wrote:
      > How do frogs survive the winter at Wanda Lake?
      >
      > Cheers, Barbara

      these guys?

      http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/outdoor/gallery/JMT2010/20100721/slides/DSC_1624.jpg

      frogs have some sort of anti-freeze blood - can be solidly frozen and
      come back to life. I bet NASA has been looking into that to get us to
      that planet 20 lightyears out once we mess up this one.

      http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/02/070220-frog-antifreeze.html

    • Rebecca Sowards-Emmerd
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 2010
        Oh man, the shores of wanda lake and one of the small lakes below Helen are just swarming with them! I had to be careful to avoid stepping on them last year on the trail right next to Wanda. Sneaky little buggers. This guy hopped up right next to me and watched while I filled my water:

        On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 9:44 AM, John <shop@...> wrote:

        You got to see the Mountain Yellow Legged frogs! These are a threatened/endangered species. For more info and natural history check out Roland's site at http://www.mylfrog.info/naturalhistory/lifecycle.html

        JD

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Karagosian <barbara@...> wrote:

        > How do frogs survive the winter at Wanda Lake?
        >
        > Cheers, Barbara

      • Amanda L Silvestri
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 3, 2010
          This past July, while descending from Silver Pass, I was serenaded by a chorus
          of frogs as I passed an unnamed lake just north east of Silver Pass Lake at
          about 10, 400 feet. There must have hundreds of them.  The trail was too far
          from the lake for me to see the frogs, but they were very loud.  Can I safely
          assume that these were the Yellow Legged Frogs?  Are there other kinds of frogs
          up there?

          Amanda
        • Kim Fishburn
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 3, 2010
            in 89 I stopped next to a pond near Virginia Lake and there were thousands of tadpoles in it. There was barely enough room for them, and nothing else.

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 3, 2010
              Amanda

              As I understand it (per Roland), MYF make an inaudible "call", that can only be heard by holding a device to the water (or by other MY frogs). You were probably hearing Pacific? Tree Frogs. The third common "frog" is the Yosemite Toad.

              JD
              www.johndittli.com

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Amanda L Silvestri <aslive@...> wrote:

              > This past July, while descending from Silver Pass, I was serenaded by a chorus
              > of frogs as I passed an unnamed lake just north east of Silver Pass Lake at
              > about 10, 400 feet. There must have hundreds of them.  The trail was too far
              > from the lake for me to see the frogs, but they were very loud.  Can I safely
              > assume that these were the Yellow Legged Frogs?  Are there other kinds of frogs
              > up there?
              >
              > Amanda

            • jnwiley
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 6, 2010
                "Toiling to Save a Threatened Frog" article appeared in yesterday's New York Times!

                SEQUOIA AND KINGS CANYON NATIONAL PARKS, Calif. — From the summit of Bishop Pass in the Sierra Nevada, elevation 11,972 feet, all you can see are miles of granite peaks against the sky. There is no traffic and no pollution. The natural world seems pure and unspoiled.

                But appearances are deceiving. Over the last decade, disaster has struck in the form of chytridiomycosis, or chytrid, a deadly fungal disease that has driven at least 200 of the world's 6,700 amphibian species to extinction. One third of the world's frogs, toads and salamanders are threatened. Forty percent are declining. Chytrid's arrival has laid waste to the indigenous Sierra Nevada yellow-legged frog, Rana sierrae.

                http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/05/science/05frog.html

                Great article, except this is a stretch:
                "When he was in graduate school, he would often leave Berkeley after work, drive to a 10,000-foot-elevation trailhead, hike 16 miles to a research site carrying 80 pounds of equipment and set up camp before calling it a day."

                More on his website:
                http://web.me.com/vancevredenburg/Vances_site/News.html

                - Jim