Frogs

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2010
      How do frogs survive the winter at Wanda Lake?

      Cheers, Barbara
    • Peter Burke
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 2010
        On 10/1/2010 11:22 AM, Barbara Karagosian wrote:
        > How do frogs survive the winter at Wanda Lake?
        >
        > Cheers, Barbara

        these guys?

        http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/outdoor/gallery/JMT2010/20100721/slides/DSC_1624.jpg

        frogs have some sort of anti-freeze blood - can be solidly frozen and
        come back to life. I bet NASA has been looking into that to get us to
        that planet 20 lightyears out once we mess up this one.

        http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/02/070220-frog-antifreeze.html
      • John
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 1, 2010
          You got to see the Mountain Yellow Legged frogs! These are a threatened/endangered species. For more info and natural history check out Roland's site at http://www.mylfrog.info/naturalhistory/lifecycle.html

          JD
          www.johndittli.com

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Karagosian <barbara@...> wrote:

          > How do frogs survive the winter at Wanda Lake?
          >
          > Cheers, Barbara

        • Peter Burke
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 1, 2010
            On 10/1/2010 11:44 AM, John wrote:
            You got to see the Mountain Yellow Legged frogs! These are a threatened/endangered species. For more info and natural history check out Roland's site at http://www.mylfrog.info/naturalhistory/lifecycle.html

            here are a few more, found in the lake below Helen Lake in Le Conte Canyon. My kids love chasing these guys - they are almost impossible to miss in that area, as the lake is one of the few that don't have trout decimating their numbers

            http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/outdoor/gallery/JMT2010/20100722/slides/DSC_2065.jpg
            http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/outdoor/gallery/JMT2010/20100722/slides/DSC_2066.jpg
            http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/outdoor/gallery/JMT2010/20100722/slides/DSC_2068.jpg

            this one lives in one of the tarns on Island Pass

            http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/outdoor/gallery/JMT2010/20100714/slides/DSC_1195.jpg

            and another one from Island Pass - looked quite different from the above guys, and was also much smaller

            http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/outdoor/gallery/JMT2010/20100713/slides/DSC_1157_crop.jpg

          • Barbara Karagosian

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 1, 2010
                Anti freeze blood that makes them go hard and crunchy when frozen and they clink when you drop them?? Are these researchers torturing frogs!

                Cheers, Barbara

                On Oct 1, 2010, at 9:38 AM, Peter Burke <pburke@...> wrote:

                On 10/1/2010 11:22 AM, Barbara Karagosian wrote:
                > How do frogs survive the winter at Wanda Lake?
                >
                > Cheers, Barbara

                these guys?

                http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/outdoor/gallery/JMT2010/20100721/slides/DSC_1624.jpg

                frogs have some sort of anti-freeze blood - can be solidly frozen and
                come back to life. I bet NASA has been looking into that to get us to
                that planet 20 lightyears out once we mess up this one.

                http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/02/070220-frog-antifreeze.html

              • Rebecca Sowards-Emmerd
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 1, 2010
                  Oh man, the shores of wanda lake and one of the small lakes below Helen are just swarming with them! I had to be careful to avoid stepping on them last year on the trail right next to Wanda. Sneaky little buggers. This guy hopped up right next to me and watched while I filled my water:

                  On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 9:44 AM, John <shop@...> wrote:

                  You got to see the Mountain Yellow Legged frogs! These are a threatened/endangered species. For more info and natural history check out Roland's site at http://www.mylfrog.info/naturalhistory/lifecycle.html

                  JD

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Karagosian <barbara@...> wrote:

                  > How do frogs survive the winter at Wanda Lake?
                  >
                  > Cheers, Barbara

                • Amanda L Silvestri
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 3, 2010
                    This past July, while descending from Silver Pass, I was serenaded by a chorus
                    of frogs as I passed an unnamed lake just north east of Silver Pass Lake at
                    about 10, 400 feet. There must have hundreds of them.  The trail was too far
                    from the lake for me to see the frogs, but they were very loud.  Can I safely
                    assume that these were the Yellow Legged Frogs?  Are there other kinds of frogs
                    up there?

                    Amanda
                  • Kim Fishburn
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 3, 2010
                      in 89 I stopped next to a pond near Virginia Lake and there were thousands of tadpoles in it. There was barely enough room for them, and nothing else.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 3, 2010
                        Amanda

                        As I understand it (per Roland), MYF make an inaudible "call", that can only be heard by holding a device to the water (or by other MY frogs). You were probably hearing Pacific? Tree Frogs. The third common "frog" is the Yosemite Toad.

                        JD
                        www.johndittli.com

                        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Amanda L Silvestri <aslive@...> wrote:

                        > This past July, while descending from Silver Pass, I was serenaded by a chorus
                        > of frogs as I passed an unnamed lake just north east of Silver Pass Lake at
                        > about 10, 400 feet. There must have hundreds of them.  The trail was too far
                        > from the lake for me to see the frogs, but they were very loud.  Can I safely
                        > assume that these were the Yellow Legged Frogs?  Are there other kinds of frogs
                        > up there?
                        >
                        > Amanda

                      • jnwiley
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 6, 2010
                          "Toiling to Save a Threatened Frog" article appeared in yesterday's New York Times!

                          SEQUOIA AND KINGS CANYON NATIONAL PARKS, Calif. — From the summit of Bishop Pass in the Sierra Nevada, elevation 11,972 feet, all you can see are miles of granite peaks against the sky. There is no traffic and no pollution. The natural world seems pure and unspoiled.

                          But appearances are deceiving. Over the last decade, disaster has struck in the form of chytridiomycosis, or chytrid, a deadly fungal disease that has driven at least 200 of the world's 6,700 amphibian species to extinction. One third of the world's frogs, toads and salamanders are threatened. Forty percent are declining. Chytrid's arrival has laid waste to the indigenous Sierra Nevada yellow-legged frog, Rana sierrae.

                          http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/05/science/05frog.html

                          Great article, except this is a stretch:
                          "When he was in graduate school, he would often leave Berkeley after work, drive to a 10,000-foot-elevation trailhead, hike 16 miles to a research site carrying 80 pounds of equipment and set up camp before calling it a day."

                          More on his website:
                          http://web.me.com/vancevredenburg/Vances_site/News.html

                          - Jim