Re: [John Muir Trail] foot issues on the JMT and looking for a lady named Linda

  • Linda Reitz
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2010
      Hey, that would be me! thanks for the great tape, the rest of the trip was great with no foot problems. I can't thank you enough for sharing with me. I tried to tell my friends how helpful others were on the JMT. It is because of people like you that keeps this trail so friendly and supportive.

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 4, 2010
        Oh Great IM glad you made it ok , we made it over thompson pass and found out there was no trail , we hiked it anyway with a GPS , but we were contemplating taking up your offer to get a ride with your husband !! Hey how long did it take you to finish the trail ?? and did you need any more food drops after the ranch there ?? im glad i was able to help , the tape worked for me this year again ... I always order it well before my trips and my conditioning hikes .. take care

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 6, 2010
          I was able to pass that great tape on to two more hikers, am thinking the only way to get it is on line. I did have 2 more wonderful weeks on the trail and needed another food drop but it turned out awful. Aparently I neglected to read the posted note at Onion Valley stating not to leave your food cache in the bear boxes at Kearsage Lakes! I did see the notice in the bear box at the lakes but did not want to cary it back out over Kearsage pass...........so when I hiked down to the junction of JMT/ Kearsage I noticed a note for "Linda" and it advised me to pick up my cache at Charlote Lake ranger station where he not only had my stash but a $125 ticket as well. Hard lesson.  The bad news is I ended up leaving the JMT right then and there with a extra 10 lbs of food. Only 30 miles left unhiked on JMT.

          I remember the days when you could not use bear boxes at Kearsage Lakes as they were reserved for through hikers. Now the opposite is true. In 2009 the rangers had been left to dispose of over 300 lbs of food left by through hikers that had not picked up their cashes, thus the citation. My own vault. wah

          Happy Trails

          Oh Great IM glad you made it ok , we made it over thompson pass and found out there was no trail , we hiked it anyway with a GPS , but we were contemplating taking up your offer to get a ride with your husband !! Hey how long did it take you to finish the trail ?? and did you need any more food drops after the ranch there ?? im glad i was able to help , the tape worked for me this year again ... I always order it well before my trips and my conditioning hikes .. take care

          .

        • outdoorman2200
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 19, 2010
            The tape is only available online that I know of..30 more miles ugh ..
            well maybe next year ? I think that I might get away with 1 food drop and 22 days ... Ive done it in 20 days with no food drops , but i was young and foolish ... But we carry enough food for 11 days in one shot , and after 11 days im pretty fit and could probably carry a little more weight on the second leg ... To tell you the truth I dont like all of the people i saw on the JMT for the short distance we were on it this year ( 8 miles ) the rest of our 60 mile hike we saw NO ONE ..
            that I like ...anyway is was great to see the muir trail ranch , very interesting and i think it may help us get to Martha lake next year up goddard canyon ...take care