Re: Just returned

  • cnong
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 8, 2005
      Dave,

      Congratulations on finishing your thru-hike!

      I saw from your Trail Journal that you used Aqua Mira as your water
      treatment. Was it good enough? I have a MSR MiniWork weighted at
      16oz. I prefer not to take it if Aqua Mira can do all the works.
      Also, any advises on stream crossing?

      Thanks,

      Cathy

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <idahomtman@b...> wrote:
      > I completed my solo 9.5 day JMT hike July 31. I started July 22
      from
      > Happy Isles. Snow was minimal (except Muir) and river crossings
      were
      > fine. Rope was still up at Bear Creek, but water was only up to
      > bottom of my shorts. Had great weather except the infamous Thursday
      > thunderstorm that killed the scouts (2 according to the Whitney
      > ranger). I had some rain at Guitar Lake but minimal. I left Guitar
      > Lake at 5 am and summitted at 7:45 am and was at Whitney Portal at
      > 12:15 pm. A very reasonable day.
      >
      > I brought too much food and ended up giving some away and leaving a
      > lot in the hiker boxes. I planned on 3500-4000 calories a day and
      > ended up eating about 2500 at best. I did lose some weight but when
      > you average 22+ miles per day that is to be expected. I brought a
      > lightweight ice axe but it was really needed. Should have packed
      new
      > socks in my resupply. My feet were wet most of the time.
      >
      > I met some great people and thoroughly enjoyed the trip. There were
      > some very inexperienced people that were close to being in trouble,
      > if not in trouble. I hope they made it. Usually the problem was the
      > stream crossings.
      >
      > Idahomtman
      >
      > P.S. See my log in Trail Journals for more detail.
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 10, 2005
        Cathy,

        The Aqua Mira may have been sufficient, but to be honest, I have had
        stomach cramps for the past 5 days. They may have nothing to do with
        the water or the trip, but I don't know that yet. I have no other
        signs of Giardia however. I did drink two liters of untreated water
        that came directly off snow banks. We'll see what happens.

        All the stream crossings are fine. Bear Creek is probably the one
        with the fastest moving water but by now it should be calf deep and
        not an issue (there was a rope strung across when I was there). I
        would use poles. Evolution should not be crossed at the ford but
        walk up the south bank on a use trail and cross in the middle of the
        meadow for an easy crossing (you will need to cross another small
        stream also beyond the main crossing). Next time I would leave the
        ice axe home and bring Teva sandals for the crossings. I also should
        have brought more socks and included new ones in my resupply.

        Enjoy your trip.

        Dave

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 12, 2005
          Dave,

          Thanks! Your reply and Journal entries are very helpful. I plan to
          thru hike next year. I'm just trying to accumulate knowledge from
          all the sources. I might use combination of Aqua Mira and bottle
          filter. I hope your stomach cramps gone by now.