[John Muir Trail] Re: Winter is coming

  • John
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 27, 2010
      Thanks Peter, I have seen that report, I'm thinking it to be April.

      In late April of a "good corn year" (when it quits snowing before July!) the snow sets up pretty well. In those years hiking in the mornings is good on flats and south aspects, you could use snowshoes in the afternoon, on less consolidated north aspects or if it snowed much.

      One problem I've encountered with snowshoes is when there is a steep firm crust that is difficult on snowshoes but not supportive in boots. Very tedious conditions.

      JD
      www.johndittli.com

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Peter Burke <pburke@...> wrote:

      > > Which leads me to wonder; has anyone done the JMT in true winter since Bartholomew? My guess is most
      > > likely, but I sure would like to hear from them!
      > >

      > not sure if this counts - saw this earlier today and it looks like snow for almost the entire route
      >
      > http://www.jamesalutz.com/index_JMT1.htm
      >
      > I'm not a good enough skier to do that, though - it's flat here and the last time I was on anything like a hill on ski with skins on it was in the German military in 1983. I think I'd feel more comfortable on snow shoes, but maybe that's not really the case, which is why I am researching this.
      >
      > Earliest I'd go would be April, just because of the daylight hours

    • Kim Fishburn
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 28, 2010
        I've always wanted to ski highway 120 across Yosemite. I see that this guy did that and came down the Snow Creek Trail which is the safest way in Winter (since its on the South Facing slope and gets plenty of sun). I think Galen Stuck to the JMT. Its too bad that the resort east of Tioga Pass hasn't been open the past few winters. Now people have to ski all the way up to the pass instead of driving up since Caltrans isn't clearing the road.

        Kim

        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 28, 2010
          The Trip across 120 is a good one. You can leave gear and food up in Tuolumne in the fall and stay in the cabin there in winter (good long day ski from the gate on the eastside). In spring it can be unfortunate if they have started plowing the road in the Park. In winter, the Snow Creek switchbacks can be a great descent!

          Coming out the JMT in the spring is quite the experience; after a month of solitude you hit the Mist Trail at peak season. Lots of questions about the skis!

          JD
          www.johndittli.com

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Kim Fishburn <outhiking_55@...> wrote:

          > I've always wanted to ski highway 120 across Yosemite. I see that this guy did
          > that and came down the Snow Creek Trail which is the safest way in Winter (since
          > its on the South Facing slope and gets plenty of sun). I think Galen Stuck to
          > the JMT. Its too bad that the resort east of Tioga Pass hasn't been open the
          > past few winters. Now people have to ski all the way up to the pass instead of
          > driving up since Caltrans isn't clearing the road.
          >

          > Kim
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Karpani
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 28, 2010
            Thanks for your response, Bob.  Great places to get those wonderful shots along with catching your breath in tandem with breath-taking views along the trail!

            Oh, and to recap.  Thanks for your very precise descriptions about Bear Ridge Trail vs. Bear Creek Trail, many months ago in response to a question I posted about a possible Edison Lake drainage this summer and the best way to return to the JMT.  Well, I guess I just had to find out for myself:-( that the Bear Ridge trail was everything you said it was. . . up, up, up, dry, rocky, dusty, hot, gutgrunt, waterless and viewless, except for those horsetail cloud skies (photos) in the first mile or so.  I started to think I had actually morphed into one of the pack animals that probably use the trail more than hikers.   The only reward being the campsite at the junction of the JMT at the end of the day, which I believe is where Chris took tent shot #148, about which you commented.  I bow to your lotus feet, my dear.  I may question you heretofore, but I will never doubt you!  You were spot on about this one!

            Thanks again, it was a great trip!
            Karpani

            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 28, 2010

              Karpani – your photos were stunning!  And the one on the trail between Deer Creek and Duck Creek was about the exact spot we were hit by the lightning/thunder/hail storm – horribly exposed.  And the snow – wow – bet you were glad of your tent.  Lovely ones of those free ranging MTR horses too.  Makes me want to go back J  Barbara

            • robert shattuck
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 28, 2010
                Karpani,

                Thanks again . . . gotta love the slog that is, bear ridge. Next time, delight yourself with the BEAR CREEK TRAIL. :)

                bob

                sparklefart.blogspot.com

                To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 28, 2010
                  Thanks, Bob!  If another opportunity arises for me to return to the JMT from VVR, I think the Bear Creek Trail deserves my presence, just to balance it all out . . . and I'm always up for delight!

                  To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

                   Great stuff! Glad you made it to Bodie, too. always a great place to kick around for a day. I love your tent shot#148 . . . not to mention the next one. timed exposure or just lucky?

                  bob
                • Peter Burke
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 29, 2010
                    robert shattuck wrote:

                    > Karpani,
                    >
                    > Thanks again . . . gotta love the slog that is, bear ridge. Next time,
                    > delight yourself with the BEAR CREEK TRAIL. :)

                    If you hit Bear Ridge early in the year and you can build dams at a pair
                    of cold springs, you'll even have to avoid a swampy area where the trail
                    is completely under water, and in general spend time wondering how
                    horrible that nicely packed not yet horse-torn trail will be when the
                    late season hikers take that route... But I have to agree- nothing to
                    see. I took 10 photos that day. Nothing to see but switchbacks on the
                    JMT alternative either.

                    I've never tried Bear Creek trail, but I'll have to put that on my to-do
                    list for the next trip, especially if it's later in the year or winter
                    is dry.

                    photo is July 18, about 3/4 up Bear Ridge Trail

                    Bear Creek springs
                  • Peter Burke
                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 29, 2010
                      Peter Burke wrote:

                      > photo is July 18, about 3/4 up Bear Ridge Trail
                      >
                      > Bear Creek springs

                      guess the embedded image didn't make it - link instead

                      http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/outdoor/gallery/JMT2010/20100718/slides/DSC_1451.jpg
                    • Karpani
                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 29, 2010
                        Oh, wouldn't that have been a delight?  Are Claire and Damien looking at mushrooms?  Perhaps the experience depends on the time of year one makes the trip.  I appreciate your opportunity for another view, Peter.  Thanks!
                        Karpani

                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 29, 2010
                          On 9/29/2010 9:03 AM, Karpani wrote:
                          Oh, wouldn't that have been a delight?  Are Claire and Damien looking at mushrooms?  Perhaps the experience depends on the time of year one makes the trip.  I appreciate your opportunity for another view, Peter.  Thanks!
                          Karpani

                          those mushrooms are rocks they placed into the water to create a pool deep enough to dunk their heads. It was pretty hot that day, and Damien especially had a slow day. Playing with the water was clearly more fun than hiking up another mile to the JMT junction. At less than 10 miles, our VVR to Bear Creek day was the shortest distance of all days without rain delays during this year's trip.

                          The springs are at about 9500 feet elevation where the trail crosses the stream marked on the 24k topo map:
                          http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?q=http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/outdoor/muir2009/gps/2010/filtered/20100718.gpx&t=t2

                          The GPS track also shows how far off the maps can be from the actual trail location. Even the JMT on the descent from the ridge seems to run on a very different route from that the map maker thought it was on.

                          Maybe one day I'll go cross country and visit those lakes on the ridge at 8800 feet, then follow the top of the ridge to the next set of laps and higher up to the last lake before reconnecting with the regular trail at about the place the springs are located, just to get a different view of the place.

                        • Karpani
                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 29, 2010
                            Wow!  Thanks for sharing all of this with me, Peter.  A pool to get cool . . .that is precious . . . so like kids and their innate creativity!

                            Your considering going cross-country to explore the lakes seen on the topo seems a wonderful idea. When you do it, I hope you will share your experience with us.  I'm, planning on taking a 2-day map and compass seminar in the next couple of weeks at Humboldt State Univ.  I have no formal skills and feel my options are limited out there, on the trail or off.  I do have a strong intuitive sense of direction and am somewhat comfortable going off-trail a bit, but not setting out focused on cross-country.  So I'm looking to enhance my skills in that area.

                            Also, what I meant to say in my first reply was I appreciate your giving me the opportunity for another view.
                            Thanks, again,