Just returned

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 5, 2005
      I completed my solo 9.5 day JMT hike July 31. I started July 22 from
      Happy Isles. Snow was minimal (except Muir) and river crossings were
      fine. Rope was still up at Bear Creek, but water was only up to
      bottom of my shorts. Had great weather except the infamous Thursday
      thunderstorm that killed the scouts (2 according to the Whitney
      ranger). I had some rain at Guitar Lake but minimal. I left Guitar
      Lake at 5 am and summitted at 7:45 am and was at Whitney Portal at
      12:15 pm. A very reasonable day.

      I brought too much food and ended up giving some away and leaving a
      lot in the hiker boxes. I planned on 3500-4000 calories a day and
      ended up eating about 2500 at best. I did lose some weight but when
      you average 22+ miles per day that is to be expected. I brought a
      lightweight ice axe but it was really needed. Should have packed new
      socks in my resupply. My feet were wet most of the time.

      I met some great people and thoroughly enjoyed the trip. There were
      some very inexperienced people that were close to being in trouble,
      if not in trouble. I hope they made it. Usually the problem was the
      stream crossings.

      Idahomtman

      P.S. See my log in Trail Journals for more detail.
    • cnong
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 8, 2005
        Dave,

        Congratulations on finishing your thru-hike!

        I saw from your Trail Journal that you used Aqua Mira as your water
        treatment. Was it good enough? I have a MSR MiniWork weighted at
        16oz. I prefer not to take it if Aqua Mira can do all the works.
        Also, any advises on stream crossing?

        Thanks,

        Cathy

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 10, 2005
          Cathy,

          The Aqua Mira may have been sufficient, but to be honest, I have had
          stomach cramps for the past 5 days. They may have nothing to do with
          the water or the trip, but I don't know that yet. I have no other
          signs of Giardia however. I did drink two liters of untreated water
          that came directly off snow banks. We'll see what happens.

          All the stream crossings are fine. Bear Creek is probably the one
          with the fastest moving water but by now it should be calf deep and
          not an issue (there was a rope strung across when I was there). I
          would use poles. Evolution should not be crossed at the ford but
          walk up the south bank on a use trail and cross in the middle of the
          meadow for an easy crossing (you will need to cross another small
          stream also beyond the main crossing). Next time I would leave the
          ice axe home and bring Teva sandals for the crossings. I also should
          have brought more socks and included new ones in my resupply.

          Enjoy your trip.

          Dave

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 12, 2005
            Dave,

            Thanks! Your reply and Journal entries are very helpful. I plan to
            thru hike next year. I'm just trying to accumulate knowledge from
            all the sources. I might use combination of Aqua Mira and bottle
            filter. I hope your stomach cramps gone by now.