Best place to camp before hiking Whitney from the west side?

  • Will Schmidt
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 29, 2005
      What is the best way to do the Whitney summit day if one is coming from
      the west side? If one camps at Guitar Lake, then that makes summit day
      a long 17.5 miles to get up to the summit and then down to Whitney
      portal. Is there a decent place to camp at the junction with the
      Whitney Trail or is it too exposed?
    • Frank Martin
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 29, 2005
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Will Schmidt"
        <willjschmidt@y...> wrote:
        > What is the best way to do the Whitney summit day if one is coming from
        > the west side? If one camps at Guitar Lake, then that makes summit day
        > a long 17.5 miles to get up to the summit and then down to Whitney
        > portal. Is there a decent place to camp at the junction with the
        > Whitney Trail or is it too exposed?

        There is another small lake above Guitar Lake but really the distance
        is insignificant.

        There are many places to camp on the way down to Whitney Portal so it
        is not necessary to go all the way to the Portal.

      • hmdsierra
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 29, 2005
          I've done it from Hitchcock Lakes once and from Guitar once to the
          summit and out in a day. We started early spent about an hour on the
          summit and were at Whitney Portal before 5 PM. From the summit it's
          all downhill and goes quick. My 10 year old son and I went from
          Guitar to the road without summiting and were there by 3PM. Not as
          hard as it sounds.

          <willjschmidt@y...> wrote:
          > What is the best way to do the Whitney summit day if one is coming from
          > the west side? If one camps at Guitar Lake, then that makes summit day
          > a long 17.5 miles to get up to the summit and then down to Whitney
          > portal. Is there a decent place to camp at the junction with the
          > Whitney Trail or is it too exposed?
        • Bob
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 29, 2005
            I don't think it's quite that far from Guitar Lake to Whitney and down
            to Whitney Portal. You might recheck. The only west side alternative
            to Guitar is camping at the peak itself. If the electical activity
            potential has passed for the day, that could be a great option, but
            you do have to take up all the water you'll need.

            <willjschmidt@y...> wrote:
            > What is the best way to do the Whitney summit day if one is coming
            from
            > the west side? If one camps at Guitar Lake, then that makes summit
            day
            > a long 17.5 miles to get up to the summit and then down to Whitney
            > portal. Is there a decent place to camp at the junction with the
            > Whitney Trail or is it too exposed?
          • stevenhmunson
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 29, 2005
              You may want to double check your mileage. I did the JMT in 2000
              and did exactly what you are proposing. We camped at Guitar Lake,
              summitted Whitney the next morning and arrived in Whitney Portal in
              the mid-afternoon. I believe the total mileage, including the side
              trip to the summit is closer to 13 miles. In any case, I thought
              this was not a particularly hard day (but maybe because it was that
              I was in shape after three weeks on the JMT).

              PS: I just double checked the mileage using Maptech Terrain
              Navigator Pro and it came out to be almost exactly 13 miles. I've
              had really good luck with the Maptech program, so I think that's
              probably pretty accurate.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 29, 2005
                Thanks for checking it on your software. Something is really off on
                the Tom Harrison map for this section. It shows 4 miles from Guitar
                Lake to Trail Crest, 5 miles round trip from Trail Crest to the
                summit and back, then 8.5 miles from Trail Crest to Whitney Portal.

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "stevenhmunson" <sirsteve@c...>

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 29, 2005
                  <willjschmidt@y...> wrote:

                  > > PS: I just double checked the mileage using Maptech Terrain
                  > > Navigator Pro and it came out to be almost exactly 13 miles. I've
                  > > had really good luck with the Maptech program, so I think that's
                  > > probably pretty accurate.

                  Not likely. It is 11 miles from the Summit to Portal.

                  From Guitar Lake to BELOW Trail Crest is 3.3 miles. When going to
                  Summit via Guitar you do not get to Trail Crest. People coming from
                  the Portal go to TC and down.

                  From where you leave your pack to Summit is 1.9 miles

                  So 3.3
                  1.9
                  11.0

                  16.2 miles from Guitar to Summit to Whitney Portal. I just did this
                  four days ago.

                • Frank Martin
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 29, 2005
                    <willjschmidt@y...> wrote:
                    > Thanks for checking it on your software. Something is really off on
                    > the Tom Harrison map for this section. It shows 4 miles from Guitar
                    > Lake to Trail Crest, 5 miles round trip from Trail Crest to the
                    > summit and back, then 8.5 miles from Trail Crest to Whitney Portal.

                    Harrison's map is correct.

                    The mistake that people make is that they think they go to Trail Crest
                    on their way to Whitney from Guitar Lake. The 2.5 miles x 2 = 5 miles.

                    If you look closely at the map you will see the switchbacks end below
                    Trail Creat 0.6 miles below. From Guitar Lake you do not hit Trail
                    Crest until your desent from Whitney to the Portal.