Re: [John Muir Trail] Lightning Death

  • Laura Leaf Vandezande
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 29, 2005
      I have a SERIOUS fear of lightning. I've heard many
      things you are supposed to do to protect yourself-
      anyone have some words of wisdom before I leave for
      the trail on Thurs.? Or maybe a good link with what to
      do in a lightning storm?

      It sounds like they were out in the open- not a good
      idea. But I've also heard that you shouldn't be near
      trees, either? I've heard that you should be in an
      area where you don't stand out- and basically make
      your profile like a rock by sitting on your thermarest
      with you knees tucked up to your chin.

      Please, if anyone can help me out with a little
      reassurance, it would help!!!

      Laura
      p.s. How terrible for those people. My thoughts and
      prayers are certainly with them...

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs