Re: [pct-l] Choices and Completion Rates

  • ned@mountaineducation.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2010
      Quite a few hikers planning on hiking the PCT as a thru-hike pass through
      our doors in order to receive instruction, training, and just general
      exposure to snow and how to travel over it safely. It is often common to
      hear someone ask, "How do I know if I can handle the long day's walk, day
      after day?"

      We encourage them to hike for a week at a comfortable pace in similar
      conditions to the Crest. If that goes well, of course learning many things
      about themselves, what they did not do well at, what they wished they'd
      brought, and what they will leave behind next time, we tell them to do a two
      or three week trip, usually the John Muir Trail or the North Cascades, with
      a resupply (for logistical practice) thrown in. If that goes well and with
      all that is refined through that journey, we usually encourage them to go
      all the way and schedule "the big one."

      A thru hike of five (more or less) months creates a change of lifestyle. The
      rhythms of daily hiking, the exercise, the air, the basic living, etc. is
      nothing like a trip of three weeks, but similar. Those who walk the JMT
      begin to fall into this way of life, but it still doesn't have enough time
      to penetrate as deep into the soul and spirit (mind and heart as spoken of
      earlier) as for the thru hiker of such a trail as the PCT or CDT. Thus,
      re-entry is so difficult....

      Ned Tibbits, Director
      Mountain Education
      1106A Ski Run Blvd