Re: [John Muir Trail] Trails on Map Quest

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2010
      Correction: I said that Google maps shows the Mt Judah Loop Trail in Tahoe NF (but not the PCT).  I misread the map.  It shows neither of these two trails.

      On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 8:34 AM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:
      On Google maps as well, a few trails are indicated and most are not.  I think it is not necessarily a National Forest issue since on the route in to the Sierra Club's ski-in Benson Hut (on Tahoe National Forest land) the PCT does not appear but the newer Mt Judah loop trail does appear even though they are right next to each other.

      If I had to guess: Google and MapQuest don't really care all that much about trails.  If they happen to use a basemap that includes a trail, they don't remove it, but they don't put any effort into adding them either.

      You can add trail traces to a Google map using the "My Map" and import functions. Convert a gpx file you find online into a KML, KMZ, or GeoRSS file and then import that file into Google My maps.  (KML and KMZ are Google Earth formats).  If you make your Google map public, then others can find search for and view a map with the trail trace.

      Here's an example:

      http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&start=0&num=200&msa=0&msid=102626430010297754856.000489717b68279c2674f&t=p&z=12

      I used halfmile's GPS trace from pctmap.net to create this map.

    • Kim Fishburn
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2010
        Google Maps used to have the national parks trails but they've disappeared. You can still find them on Google Earth though. Some places like Yellowstone even have the campsites. Unfortunatly some of the views are from winter.