Trails on Map Quest

  • amandahiker
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2 8:16 AM
      I have been using Map Quest to route myself up to Florence Lake for a trip into Kings Canyon National Park and up to Muir Pass. I find it interesting that the PCT is clearly indicated on National Forest land but not in the National Parks. I am assuming that each agency must have different regulations concerning the release of trail information. This seems strange to me as they are both part of the Department of the Interior. Does anyone know any more about this? Oh, don't get me wrong, I also have quite a number of more detailed paper maps that I also use.

      Amanda
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2 8:34 AM
        On Google maps as well, a few trails are indicated and most are not.  I think it is not necessarily a National Forest issue since on the route in to the Sierra Club's ski-in Benson Hut (on Tahoe National Forest land) the PCT does not appear but the newer Mt Judah loop trail does appear even though they are right next to each other.

        If I had to guess: Google and MapQuest don't really care all that much about trails.  If they happen to use a basemap that includes a trail, they don't remove it, but they don't put any effort into adding them either.

        You can add trail traces to a Google map using the "My Map" and import functions. Convert a gpx file you find online into a KML, KMZ, or GeoRSS file and then import that file into Google My maps.  (KML and KMZ are Google Earth formats).  If you make your Google map public, then others can find search for and view a map with the trail trace.

        Here's an example:

        http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&start=0&num=200&msa=0&msid=102626430010297754856.000489717b68279c2674f&t=p&z=12

        I used halfmile's GPS trace from pctmap.net to create this map.

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 2 6:55 PM
            Google Maps used to have the national parks trails but they've disappeared. You can still find them on Google Earth though. Some places like Yellowstone even have the campsites. Unfortunatly some of the views are from winter.