Bagless External Frame

  • Bronco
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2010
      I have the Outdoor Products Firefly and the frame is plastic with many, many slots for the pack, shoulder straps, and suspension. Bag-less it weighs under 3 lb. I stuff my clothes, sleeping bag, small items, and first aid kit in sil dry sacks anyway then stuff those into my pack. Now I'm asking myself do I need the pack? I can lash everything to the frame. And I won't need a pack cover---everything is water proof! I'll shave off two-plus pounds. Has anyone tried this yet? I'll do 6-8 miles with this set up over the weekend; I'll even attach the bear canister for realism. I have some tent-pole elastic chord that I can start with as lashing.
    • Don Amundson
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2010
        Bronco--I have no recent personal experience with this but.... 50 years ago as a scout we rolled up everything in a ground cloth and tied it too a bare pack frame. Then we didn't even have padded shoulder straps. It hurts thinking about it.  But to address your question go to this page on Brawny's site. I think you'll find it useful.

        http://www.trailquest.net/BRpackless.html

        Don
        From: dawgbronco@...

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 1, 2010
          Thanks, Don. I think this plastic frame with all the slots will do a better job than the old aluminum frame. I remember the military pack board I used in Alaska for carrying sections of moose meat after the hunt. Ugh. But we're talking 70-100 lb. loads..on a much younger Bronco.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Don Amundson <amrowinc@...> wrote:

          > Bronco--I have no recent personal experience with this but.... 50 years ago as a scout we rolled up everything in a ground cloth and tied it too a bare pack frame. Then we didn't even have padded shoulder straps. It hurts thinking about it. But to address your question go to this page on Brawny's site. I think you'll find it useful.
          >
          > http://www.trailquest.net/BRpackless.html
          >
          > Don
          > From: dawgbronco@...

          > I have the Outdoor Products Firefly and the frame is plastic with many, many slots for the pack, shoulder straps, and suspension. Bag-less it weighs under 3 lb. I stuff my clothes, sleeping bag, small items, and first aid kit in sil dry sacks anyway then stuff those into my pack. Now I'm asking myself do I need the pack? I can lash everything to the frame. And I won't need a pack cover---everything is water proof! I'll shave off two-plus pounds. Has anyone tried this yet? I'll do 6-8 miles with this set up over the weekend; I'll even attach the bear canister for realism. I have some tent-pole elastic chord that I can start with as lashing.

        • rambler4466
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 3, 2010
            I hiked the JMT last summer using a "Gearskin" from Moonbow Gear.

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 3, 2010

              http://community.webshots.com/album/578518666UMYuit