Re: [John Muir Trail] Weather report and forecast

  • Peter Burke
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2010
      On 8/31/2010 10:49 PM, Jackalopes wrote:
      > We are going from Tuolumne Meadows to Reds Meadows September 8-14. When I look at weather sites they vary by 10 degrees. What is a good site to see a real Tuolumne Meadows report and forecast?

      10 degrees is pretty good. On a given storm day, temps can change by 30
      degrees in half an hour up there, especially that late in the season.

      Prepare for frost at night - we had it in mid July on that stretch, so
      it is much more likely to hit you now with the shorter days and lower
      sun angle.

      I think the best forecast for that area comes from the Mammoth Dweebs,
      but it isn't always up to date like this morning

      http://izotz.com/dweebreport/
    • rwilly001
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2010
        Here are a couple more that might be useful. Elevation differences and other localized conditions make it tough to get good reports, but you get a workable idea when you lump them all together:
        http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/outdoors/tenday/CAFSAAWA:13
        http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?site=rev&smap=1&textField1=37.939583333333&textField2=-119.24375

        This can come in handy too:
        http://twitter.com/MammothInfo
      • John
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2010
          Not a forecast, but you can get real time temps at various locations in the Sierra at the CDEC snow pillow site. This can give you an idea of what the temps are (and have been). The one for Tuolumne is http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?TUM
          The low this morning was 31 degrees.

          JD
          www.johndittli.com

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Jackalopes" <ron@...> wrote:

          > We are going from Tuolumne Meadows to Reds Meadows September 8-14. When I look at weather sites they vary by 10 degrees. What is a good site to see a real Tuolumne Meadows report and forecast?

        • Randy
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 1, 2010
            I like the site CDEC site John mentioned. http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?s=crl

            I have been watching Charlotte Lake to see what the temps are at higher elevations. Looks like the low was 31 last night. Much warmer than  Sunday! (CRL is the station ID for Charlotte Lake, and TMM and TUM are for Tuolumne)

            Hey vwdan20012001 and Jackalopes,  I also will be on the trail at the same time as you. I expect to hit Tuolumne on the 9th and Reds on the 13th. Look for a guy with funny mesh gloves on and say hello!!

            Randy