RE: [John Muir Trail] Back From JMT - In awe with a contrary thought.

  • Craig
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 28, 2005
      Catra,

      I am in awe of your accomplishments both as a mountaineer and endurance
      athlete. Any information you have regarding the JMT or the Sierras in
      general is really valuable.

      But I thought I'd take a comment you made to jump on a soap box for bit.

      If you're in the high Sierras you really need to be able to navigate for
      yourself. The NPS Rangers do what they can but trails do get obscured,
      signs get knocked down and out of date, ground conditions change every
      year. Expect problems.

      Soapbox done...

      Any day in the mountains is a good day!

      C!

      "if we can't have fun, at least we can suffer" Conrad Anker
      http://www.mountainknowledge.com - Know your mountain.

      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 28, 2005
        C-

        You're so right... I didn't make myself clear. In a couple places the NPS rangers did post signs taped to trail post warning of hazards crossings... They were not JMT crossings they were two other crossings to different areas.

        I agree we need to know how to take care of ourselves out there.

        I don't consider myself a mountaineer... I'm a Ultrarunner :) Someday hope to learn more about mountaineering(they are hardcore).
        Hey thanks for the compliment..

        I agree any day in the Mountains is a good day... That's why I plan on getting back to the Sierras tomorrow..

        Namaste,
        Catra

        catrarunner@... writes:

[...]

        John muir trail High sierras Alaska outdoors Great outdoors Oregon trail Portland trail blazer ticket

      • Vera Lehmkuhl
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 28, 2005
          how was the trail? more details ....sheech just like a guy to not say anything else eh? :)
          welcome home,
          vera

          Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:
          Hey I'm back.

          left Happy Isles 9:30 AM July 13 arrived Whitney Summit 9:30 AM July 26.

          GREAT HIKE!!!!

        • Miles & Erin Parroco
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 28, 2005
            To all of those experienced hikers...we are not like yourselves, and we are
            leaving on Monday for our first JMT hike.
            We plan on going from North to South in about 21 days.
            As we are putting together our food we are trying to figure out the bear
            canister thing. We plan on renting them from the park in Yosemite. We posted
            food forward only to one spot (Vermilion Valley).
            So, we have 9 days of food, and then we'll have about 12 days of food.
            As we look at our food we think we'll have to get 3 possibly 4 bear
            canisters to fit it all.
            We have to know if this is ridiculous?!! There are just 2 of us. Are we
            doing something wrong if we need that many canisters?
            Any advice? Thanks! Erin and Miles

            --
            Miles & Erin Parroco

            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 28, 2005
              In a message dated 7/28/2005 11:30:02 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
              meparroco@... writes:

              To all of those experienced hikers...we are not like yourselves, and we are
              leaving on Monday for our first JMT hike.
              We plan on going from North to South in about 21 days.
              As we are putting together our food we are trying to figure out the bear
              canister thing. We plan on renting them from the park in Yosemite. We posted
              food forward only to one spot (Vermilion Valley).
              So, we have 9 days of food, and then we'll have about 12 days of food.
              As we look at our food we think we'll have to get 3 possibly 4 bear
              canisters to fit it all.
              We have to know if this is ridiculous?!! There are just 2 of us. Are we
              doing something wrong if we need that many canisters?
              Any advice? Thanks! Erin and Miles

              On 7/28/05, Vera Lehmkuhl <vjl_47@...> wrote:

              What I would do is this....pack what you want but remember, you will be in
              Toulomne Meadows after two or three days, there are showers, a store a
              restaurant in the Lodge, a cafe.....then again in Reds Meadow after another 3 or 4
              days there is another store, Restaurant, showers to restock again!!!....so you
              might want to think about lightening up a bit till after Vermillion....also
              at Muir Ranch there is another boat that goes into the resort there to restock
              again if you want....now, from that point to Whitney there are no places to
              restock!!! Have fun, watch the river and creek crossings ( hope you have
              trecking poles ) Expect snow at all the passes, especially Muir Pass!!! Also,
              remember that the Period meteor shower will be going on , check when the best
              nights will be!!!...I hope I surprised you with that one!!!...Doug

            • Laura Leaf Vandezande
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 29, 2005
                Hello Erin and Miles,

                I will be heading out on the trail with my friend
                Joanna on Thursday. We are starting in Tuolumne and
                have sent resupply packages to Red's Meadow, Muir
                Trail Ranch and at the Pine Creek Pack Station at
                Onion Valley. The last one is a 5 mile hike out over
                Kearsarge Pass, and 5 miles back in, but I think it's
                worth not carrying a TON of food on my back from Muir
                trail Ranch.

                Their information can be found here:
                http://www.395.com/berners/

                760/387-2797
                800/962-0775

                You need to call them to set up a resupply drop. We
                looked into having them pack it in to us at Rae Lakes,
                but it would have cost $500 or so. Too much.

                I personally wouldn't want to pack 12 days of food.
                uggg. I think it's possible, but it wouldn't be
                comfortable.

                Laura
                p.s. I'm not familiar with the boat Doug mentioned at
                MTR. I think you need to hike off trail for that.

                --- Pukkmann@... wrote:

                > In a message dated 7/28/2005 11:30:02 P.M. Pacific
                > Standard Time,
                > meparroco@... writes:
                >
                > To all of those experienced hikers...we are not
                > like yourselves, and we are
                > leaving on Monday for our first JMT hike.
                > We plan on going from North to South in about 21
                > days.
                > As we are putting together our food we are trying
                > to figure out the bear
                > canister thing. We plan on renting them from the
                > park in Yosemite. We posted
                > food forward only to one spot (Vermilion Valley).
                > So, we have 9 days of food, and then we'll have
                > about 12 days of food.
                > As we look at our food we think we'll have to get 3
                > possibly 4 bear
                > canisters to fit it all.
                > We have to know if this is ridiculous?!! There are
                > just 2 of us. Are we
                > doing something wrong if we need that many
                > canisters?
                > Any advice? Thanks! Erin and Miles
                >
                > On 7/28/05, Vera Lehmkuhl <vjl_47@...> wrote:
                >

                > What I would do is this....pack what you want but
                > remember, you will be in
                > Toulomne Meadows after two or three days, there are
                > showers, a store a
                > restaurant in the Lodge, a cafe.....then again in
                > Reds Meadow after another 3 or 4
                > days there is another store, Restaurant, showers to
                > restock again!!!....so you
                > might want to think about lightening up a bit till
                > after Vermillion....also
                > at Muir Ranch there is another boat that goes into
                > the resort there to restock
                > again if you want....now, from that point to
                > Whitney there are no places to
                > restock!!! Have fun, watch the river and creek
                > crossings ( hope you have
                > trecking poles ) Expect snow at all the passes,
                > especially Muir Pass!!! Also,
                > remember that the Period meteor shower will be going
                > on , check when the best
                > nights will be!!!...I hope I surprised you with that
                > one!!!...Doug

                > removed]
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
              • Frank Martin
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 29, 2005
                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Miles & Erin Parroco
                  <meparroco@g...> wrote:
                  > To all of those experienced hikers...we are not like yourselves, and
                  we are
                  > leaving on Monday for our first JMT hike.
                  > We plan on going from North to South in about 21 days.
                  > As we are putting together our food we are trying to figure out the
                  bear
                  > canister thing. We plan on renting them from the park in Yosemite.
                  We posted
                  > food forward only to one spot (Vermilion Valley).
                  > So, we have 9 days of food, and then we'll have about 12 days of food.
                  > As we look at our food we think we'll have to get 3 possibly 4 bear
                  > canisters to fit it all.
                  > We have to know if this is ridiculous?!! There are just 2 of us. Are we
                  > doing something wrong if we need that many canisters?
                  > Any advice? Thanks! Erin and Miles

                  Hi,

                  Each Garcia cannister weighs about 2 lbs. 14 oz. It is not practical
                  to carry more than one. Garcia's are the most cumbersome of all the
                  different brands both in weight and volumn.

                  It is late for you but for others you can also rent Bearikade
                  Expeditions from Wild Ideas. These hold twice as much as the Garcia
                  and weigh 2 lbs 5oz. I own one, they are very expensive ($275.00),
                  but they are by far the best.

                  There is an earlier thread on this list with a list of Bear boxes
                  along the trail. Plan you hike out of VVR so that you can make camp
                  near these boxes.

                  It really doesn't make sense to carry more than one cannister each.
                  Most of the people hiking the PCT don't even bother with a cannister.
                  They are experienced hikers at least by the time they reach the Sierra
                  and practice 'stealth camping' meaning they don't eat where they sleep.

                  Try reducing you packaging from the food you have purchases in advance.

                  Good luck, have fun.
                  frank
                • Frank Martin
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 29, 2005
                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Laura Leaf Vandezande
                    <lauraleaf23@y...> wrote:
                    > Hello Erin and Miles,
                    >
                    > I will be heading out on the trail with my friend
                    > Joanna on Thursday. We are starting in Tuolumne and
                    > have sent resupply packages to Red's Meadow, Muir
                    > Trail Ranch and at the Pine Creek Pack Station at
                    > Onion Valley. The last one is a 5 mile hike out over
                    > Kearsarge Pass, and 5 miles back in, but I think it's
                    > worth not carrying a TON of food on my back from Muir
                    > trail Ranch.
                    >
                    > Their information can be found here:
                    > http://www.395.com/berners/
                    >
                    > 760/387-2797
                    > 800/962-0775
                    >
                    > You need to call them to set up a resupply drop. We
                    > looked into having them pack it in to us at Rae Lakes,
                    > but it would have cost $500 or so. Too much.
                    >
                    > I personally wouldn't want to pack 12 days of food.
                    > uggg. I think it's possible, but it wouldn't be
                    > comfortable.
                    >
                    > Laura
                    > p.s. I'm not familiar with the boat Doug mentioned at
                    > MTR. I think you need to hike off trail for that.

                    The boat is at VVR. To get to Muir Trail Ranch you take the Florence
                    Lake Trail after coming over Seldin pass.

                    If you are leaving next week the trail will be fine. You will have
                    snow at Donohue and maybe a bit at Muir but I think other than that
                    most of the snow is melting.

                    There are a lot of creek crossings. I wear trail runners and wade
                    through the creeks. I was not concerned with keeping my feet dry.
                    From Evolution Lake on I was fording 20-25 creeks and streams a day.
                    The people wearing boots were having problems because eventually they
                    got tired of taking their socks and shoes off every 15 minutes to ford.

                    They eventually ended up with wet boots, two pair of heavy slow drying
                    wet socks and blisters.

                    There is just a lot of water out there at least for the time I was
                    there. In normal year there would be logs or rocks over some of these
                    crossings but this year the logs and rocks are under the water.

                    My advice would be to bring extra fast drying socks, even if they are
                    not backpacking socks. Take care of your feet.

                    At Bear Creek cross North of the trail. There is an 'island' and you
                    do a double crossing and later cross back of one small creek to get to
                    the trail.

                    At Evolution Creek go South pass the trail crossing to Evolution
                    Meadow. There is an 'S' curve in the creek. There is a 'ghost trail'
                    leading right to it so it will not be hard to find. The water will be
                    deep but calm.

                    Be careful of the 'log crossings' on the smaller creeks where you can
                    find them. many people have slipped off these logs this year.

                    Other than that the trail conditions are GREAT. Just lots of water
                    everywhere.

                  • Pukkmann@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 29, 2005
                      In a message dated 7/29/2005 12:37:08 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                      lauraleaf23@... writes:

                      at Muir Ranch there is another boat that goes into
                      > the resort there to restock
                      > again if you want....now, from that point to
                      > Whitney there are no places to
                      > restock!!!

                      Laura is right, but the trail is pretty flat , natural hot springs to soak
                      in Blainey Meadows, 6 miles to Florence Lake, all at about 7800 feet hiking.

                    • Vera Lehmkuhl
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 29, 2005
                        When we were planning Jane and I were only going to carry one cannister the whole time. Resupply at Reds, VVR & Muir Ranch being the big one before entering the 10 days to the end. We thought we could do it all with that and maybe a bear bag, maybe....just for non essentials. However guys eat more than women do and I have to admit it would have been tight...what do you all think about that plan? We aborted this years hike due to our start date and the bad weather...its on for next year...

                        vera

                        --
                        Miles & Erin Parroco

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 29, 2005
                          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Vera Lehmkuhl <vjl_47@y...> wrote:
                          > When we were planning Jane and I were only going to carry one
                          cannister the whole time. Resupply at Reds, VVR & Muir Ranch being the
                          big one before entering the 10 days to the end. We thought we could do
                          it all with that and maybe a bear bag, maybe....just for non
                          essentials. However guys eat more than women do and I have to admit it
                          would have been tight...what do you all think about that plan? We
                          aborted this years hike due to our start date and the bad
                          weather...its on for next year...

                          > vera

                          Hi Vera,

                          Here is the link to Bearikade Rental Program

                          https://id262.securedata.net/wild-ideas/rent.html

                          They are much more expensive to rent but you can get a lot more into
                          them. I dehydrate my own food and did the whole JMT without resupply.

                          Other alternatives (cheaper) is to purchase a Bearvault. It is
                          lighter and bigger than the garcia.

                        • stevenhmunson
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 29, 2005
                            In 2000 we did the stretch from Muir Trail Ranch to Whitney Portal
                            with no resupply and with the Garcia bear canisters (1 canister per
                            person). We could fit about 8 days of food into the Garcia
                            canisters with careful packaging, but we still had about 3-4 days of
                            food that wouldn't fit. To solve the problem, we took 100 ft. of
                            lightweight (but extremely strong) aircraft cable and crimped loops
                            into both ends. On the nights that we had food that wouldn't fit
                            into the bear canisters, we "hung" our food by throwing the aircraft
                            cable over a tall limb (tied to a stuffsack with a rock in it). We
                            tied the other end of the aircraft cable to a different tree besides
                            the tree that the food was hanging from (not counterbalanced). I
                            don't know if our system was tested by any bears or not (we didn't
                            hear or see any), but I believe that the bears would have trouble
                            seeing or figuring out the aircraft cable. It's really strong and I
                            don't think that the bears could gnaw through it even if they
                            figured out that it was what was holding the food aloft.

                            Just another method to consider - it worked for us.

                            <meparroco@g...> wrote:
                            > To all of those experienced hikers...we are not like yourselves,
                            and we are
                            > leaving on Monday for our first JMT hike.
                            > We plan on going from North to South in about 21 days.
                            > As we are putting together our food we are trying to figure out
                            the bear
                            > canister thing. We plan on renting them from the park in Yosemite.
                            We posted
                            > food forward only to one spot (Vermilion Valley).
                            > So, we have 9 days of food, and then we'll have about 12 days of
                            food.
                            > As we look at our food we think we'll have to get 3 possibly 4
                            bear
                            > canisters to fit it all.
                            > We have to know if this is ridiculous?!! There are just 2 of us.
                            Are we
                            > doing something wrong if we need that many canisters?
                            > Any advice? Thanks! Erin and Miles
                            >
                            > On 7/28/05, Vera Lehmkuhl <vjl_47@y...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > how was the trail? more details ....sheech just like a guy to
                            not say
                            > > anything else eh? :)
                            > > welcome home,
                            > > vera
                            > >
                            > > Frank Martin <sriprank@y...> wrote:
                            > > Hey I'm back.
                            > >
                            > > left Happy Isles 9:30 AM July 13 arrived Whitney Summit 9:30 AM
                            July 26.

                            > > GREAT HIKE!!!!

                            Service.

                            > > - Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
                            of

                            > > ------------------------------
                            > >

                            > --
                            > Miles & Erin Parroco

                          • Miles & Erin Parroco
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 29, 2005
                              Thank you to all of those that replied. The information is helpful, but we
                              still have some questions that hopefully some one can lend some insight to.
                              It seems as if we can restock twice before reaching VVR where we sent our
                              cache to. If we take 9 days to do that then we really only have to pack food
                              for 6 days (which is doable in one bear canister). After VVR we can restock
                              again at Muir Trail Ranch 2 days after leaving. The question is, if we take
                              12 days from VVR to the portal, in theory we would have to pack for 11 days
                              (2 bear canisters). Are there bear boxes at the campsites just after VVR
                              (negating the need for another bear canister) or will we just have to suck
                              it up and carry 2 canisters from day 1 (as I don't believe we can get
                              another one from VVR)? The guide that I have says that there are boxes on
                              day 16 but what do you do with the food from days 9 thru 16??
                              OR could we get away with one canister and put the excess factory sealed
                              foods in our packs (can bears smeall through those?). SO many questions, I
                              know but this is our first multi week trek. Any suuggestions would be
                              greatly appreciated.
                              Miles and Erin

                              --
                              Miles & Erin Parroco

                            • Greg Williams
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 29, 2005
                                I'm doing VVR to the Portal starting 8/16. I'm planning for 11 days Deciding how to feed
                                myself has been my only concern for the trip. This is what I've decided to do, at least as of
                                today. I have planned for 3000 calories per day, and paid attention to packing as many
                                calories as possible into the smallest possible packaging. My dinners come from Enertia
                                Trail Foods and Mountain House Pro Packs. Lunches are various fruit and energy bars and
                                nuts. Breakfasts are calorie-fortified pancakes and burritos. I have a Bear Vault and a
                                bunch of O.P. Saks (odor-proof bags). The freeze dried and prepackaged dehydrated stuff
                                goes into doubled O.P. Saks inside regular freezer-strength zip locks. All the "exposed
                                food" gets crammed in the Bear Vault. I don't believe the bears will be able to smell the
                                food that is kept outside the Bear Vault. First, it's vacuum packaged, so odor-leakage
                                should not be a problem. If odors can get out, air can get in, and if that were to happen
                                the packing wouldn't stay vacuum sealed. Second, it will be inside two odor-proof sacks
                                inside a third zip lock inside nylon stuff sacks. (The zip locks are for added physical
                                protection of the inner bags. If the O.P. Saks are punctured, obviously they will no longer
                                be odor proof.) My remaining concern is that bears may key on the sight of a camp or a
                                backpack and come scrounging around. So, the Bear Vault and the Saks will be separated
                                from one another and hidden outside of camp. The O.P. Saks in particular will be well-
                                hidden and out of sight. I'm not sure this plan solves the problem. I could be wrong about
                                the O.P. Saks and about the bears not being able to smell the food. It seems illogical, but
                                bears do have legendary noses. Perhaps they'll smell the bags rather than the food.
                                Perhaps nowadays plastic smells like food to a bear. If that happens, I will still have the
                                Bear Vault food to keep me going as I hike out, well chagrined, over the next available
                                pass to hitch back to my car. That's the best option I've been able to come up with. Second
                                choice is to haul a second Bear Vault, one of the smaller models. I suppose I can eat a lot
                                of trout, if necessary. I will have my fly rod, and I always catch plenty. I do not want to
                                walk out for re-supply. For me it would diminish the wonder of the trip. I have backpacked
                                the Sierra for many many years and have never had bear trouble. But then, I have always
                                avoided places with lots of traffic, like the JMT, for that very reason. This will be my first
                                trip on the JMT, so I recognize that my long winning streak is in serious jeapordy.

                                Hope to see some of you out there,

                                Greg

                              • tmcsplash51
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 31, 2005
                                  Hello Everyone ,

                                  How much does your food weight from VVR to WP ..Greg.
                                  I am going from FLorence Lake to WP . Taking 12 days 11 nights .
                                  Someone is hiking with me for the first two days and carrying all
                                  those days food . So I am carrying about 10 days of food . I am
                                  using a Bearakade Expedition .It should fit . I too am planning on
                                  catching trout . All the other times I have been there I have
                                  caught more fish then I can eat .
                                  I just got my base weight down to 15 lbs. I feel good about that .
                                  It includes my binoculers , flyrod equipment and canister .

                                  I am Stoked ..Splash