Re: [John Muir Trail] Back From JMT

  • Pukkmann@aol.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 28, 2005
      In a message dated 7/28/2005 11:05:14 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
      catrarunner@... writes:

      Hi-

      I have done it as fast as 5 days 15 hours. Last year that's the woman's
      record. I hold the Yo Yo record too 12 days 4 hours. I have gone both North
      and South..
      From Muir ranch to HI... It gets easier. The first part your feet will
      be wet every single day.. The only time my feet did not get wet was the last
      two days from Reds Meadow to the finish..
      Bear Creek... Someone put a line up right before we got there... I
      wouldn't trust it by now it's probably stretched out. I held on to it with my left
      hand and used a trekking pole in my right. You have to straddle the rock in
      the middle of the crossing. I got flipped upside down because of the force
      there. It freaked me out. I was holding on the rope. Once I got footing I
      put my right foot on the other side for balance.

      If I new what I knew now. I would go to the left down stream and cross
      where it's wide and slow.
      Met a guy after, who crossed there it was calf deep and slow.

      The crossing near Silver has a rope up.. It's bomber, a very thick line.
      Don't forget to cross in the Meadow at Evolution and not the normal crossing.
      A few hikers have died at that crossing this year.
      I watched a guy try to cross and he freaked. I told him to go back and
      cross in the meadow.

      Not sure why the Rangers don't put signs up to direct us to safer
      crossings.(at least this year)

      All the passes had snow. Muir was the worst... I would say at least 1 mile
      of snow. There is a lot of route finding and boulder scrambling.. Just pay
      attention and you will be fine.

      Have fun out there and be safe.

      Cheers,
      Catra

      Thanks so much!!!...you are a big help!!!

    • Craig
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 28, 2005
        Catra,

        I am in awe of your accomplishments both as a mountaineer and endurance
        athlete. Any information you have regarding the JMT or the Sierras in
        general is really valuable.

        But I thought I'd take a comment you made to jump on a soap box for bit.

        If you're in the high Sierras you really need to be able to navigate for
        yourself. The NPS Rangers do what they can but trails do get obscured,
        signs get knocked down and out of date, ground conditions change every
        year. Expect problems.

        Soapbox done...

        Any day in the mountains is a good day!

        C!

        "if we can't have fun, at least we can suffer" Conrad Anker
        http://www.mountainknowledge.com - Know your mountain.

        I have done it as fast as 5 days 15 hours. Last year that's the woman's
        record. I hold the Yo Yo record too 12 days 4 hours. I have gone both
        North and South..
        >From Muir ranch to HI... It gets easier. The first part your feet
        will be wet every single day.. The only time my feet did not get wet
[...]

        Pukkmann@... wrote:

        In a message dated 7/27/2005 6:18:40 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
        catrarunner@... writes:

        was out there too.... I started from Whitney on the 19th at 2:45pm and
        finished yesterday July 26th at 5:23pm.

        I was planning a triple but it was to slow going for me to finish in
        636
        miles in 18 days. I knew I would be slower on the way back.. I will
        head out
        Friday to fastpack into Muir ranch to get my supply drop and check out
        some
        other trails. Going in over Piute Pass and coming back over Bishop
        Pass.

        Did you see me??? I was the girl with all the tattoos and piercings.
        Met alot of people maybe I met you???

        it was quite the adventure for me this year.
        Next year I will go for the triple.

        Cheers,
        Catra

        _http://www.birthdaychallenge.com_ (http://www.birthdaychallenge.com) :

        Catra, are you saying you did the JMT in 7 days?........wow!!...also, I
        did
        that loop you are going to do from North Lake to South Lake and it was
        magnificent!! Also, can you tell me a little bit about the JMT from Muir
        Ranch to
        Happy Isles? We are leaving 8-20...how about river crossings, bear creek

        and/or the one on the way up to Silver Pass ? Difficulty over the passes
        with
        snow? Anything else you might think of would be great!.......
        I have always thought going south to north would be
        easier....I
        would rather work hard the first 8 days, then after Muir Ranch, 2
        nights out
        then you have Red's Meadow ( shower, meal ) 2 days later Toulomne , (
        shower ,
        meal ) 2 days later, you are done.

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Catra Corbett
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 28, 2005
          C-

          You're so right... I didn't make myself clear. In a couple places the NPS rangers did post signs taped to trail post warning of hazards crossings... They were not JMT crossings they were two other crossings to different areas.

          I agree we need to know how to take care of ourselves out there.

          I don't consider myself a mountaineer... I'm a Ultrarunner :) Someday hope to learn more about mountaineering(they are hardcore).
          Hey thanks for the compliment..

          I agree any day in the Mountains is a good day... That's why I plan on getting back to the Sierras tomorrow..

          Namaste,
          Catra

          catrarunner@... writes:

[...]

          John muir trail High sierras Alaska outdoors Great outdoors Oregon trail Portland trail blazer ticket

        • Vera Lehmkuhl
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 28, 2005
            how was the trail? more details ....sheech just like a guy to not say anything else eh? :)
            welcome home,
            vera

            Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:
            Hey I'm back.

            left Happy Isles 9:30 AM July 13 arrived Whitney Summit 9:30 AM July 26.

            GREAT HIKE!!!!

          • Miles & Erin Parroco
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 28, 2005
              To all of those experienced hikers...we are not like yourselves, and we are
              leaving on Monday for our first JMT hike.
              We plan on going from North to South in about 21 days.
              As we are putting together our food we are trying to figure out the bear
              canister thing. We plan on renting them from the park in Yosemite. We posted
              food forward only to one spot (Vermilion Valley).
              So, we have 9 days of food, and then we'll have about 12 days of food.
              As we look at our food we think we'll have to get 3 possibly 4 bear
              canisters to fit it all.
              We have to know if this is ridiculous?!! There are just 2 of us. Are we
              doing something wrong if we need that many canisters?
              Any advice? Thanks! Erin and Miles

              --
              Miles & Erin Parroco

              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 28, 2005
                In a message dated 7/28/2005 11:30:02 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                meparroco@... writes:

                To all of those experienced hikers...we are not like yourselves, and we are
                leaving on Monday for our first JMT hike.
                We plan on going from North to South in about 21 days.
                As we are putting together our food we are trying to figure out the bear
                canister thing. We plan on renting them from the park in Yosemite. We posted
                food forward only to one spot (Vermilion Valley).
                So, we have 9 days of food, and then we'll have about 12 days of food.
                As we look at our food we think we'll have to get 3 possibly 4 bear
                canisters to fit it all.
                We have to know if this is ridiculous?!! There are just 2 of us. Are we
                doing something wrong if we need that many canisters?
                Any advice? Thanks! Erin and Miles

                On 7/28/05, Vera Lehmkuhl <vjl_47@...> wrote:

                What I would do is this....pack what you want but remember, you will be in
                Toulomne Meadows after two or three days, there are showers, a store a
                restaurant in the Lodge, a cafe.....then again in Reds Meadow after another 3 or 4
                days there is another store, Restaurant, showers to restock again!!!....so you
                might want to think about lightening up a bit till after Vermillion....also
                at Muir Ranch there is another boat that goes into the resort there to restock
                again if you want....now, from that point to Whitney there are no places to
                restock!!! Have fun, watch the river and creek crossings ( hope you have
                trecking poles ) Expect snow at all the passes, especially Muir Pass!!! Also,
                remember that the Period meteor shower will be going on , check when the best
                nights will be!!!...I hope I surprised you with that one!!!...Doug

              • Laura Leaf Vandezande
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 29, 2005
                  Hello Erin and Miles,

                  I will be heading out on the trail with my friend
                  Joanna on Thursday. We are starting in Tuolumne and
                  have sent resupply packages to Red's Meadow, Muir
                  Trail Ranch and at the Pine Creek Pack Station at
                  Onion Valley. The last one is a 5 mile hike out over
                  Kearsarge Pass, and 5 miles back in, but I think it's
                  worth not carrying a TON of food on my back from Muir
                  trail Ranch.

                  Their information can be found here:
                  http://www.395.com/berners/

                  760/387-2797
                  800/962-0775

                  You need to call them to set up a resupply drop. We
                  looked into having them pack it in to us at Rae Lakes,
                  but it would have cost $500 or so. Too much.

                  I personally wouldn't want to pack 12 days of food.
                  uggg. I think it's possible, but it wouldn't be
                  comfortable.

                  Laura
                  p.s. I'm not familiar with the boat Doug mentioned at
                  MTR. I think you need to hike off trail for that.

                  --- Pukkmann@... wrote:

                  > In a message dated 7/28/2005 11:30:02 P.M. Pacific
                  > Standard Time,
                  > meparroco@... writes:
                  >
                  > To all of those experienced hikers...we are not
                  > like yourselves, and we are
                  > leaving on Monday for our first JMT hike.
                  > We plan on going from North to South in about 21
                  > days.
                  > As we are putting together our food we are trying
                  > to figure out the bear
                  > canister thing. We plan on renting them from the
                  > park in Yosemite. We posted
                  > food forward only to one spot (Vermilion Valley).
                  > So, we have 9 days of food, and then we'll have
                  > about 12 days of food.
                  > As we look at our food we think we'll have to get 3
                  > possibly 4 bear
                  > canisters to fit it all.
                  > We have to know if this is ridiculous?!! There are
                  > just 2 of us. Are we
                  > doing something wrong if we need that many
                  > canisters?
                  > Any advice? Thanks! Erin and Miles
                  >
                  > On 7/28/05, Vera Lehmkuhl <vjl_47@...> wrote:
                  >

                  > What I would do is this....pack what you want but
                  > remember, you will be in
                  > Toulomne Meadows after two or three days, there are
                  > showers, a store a
                  > restaurant in the Lodge, a cafe.....then again in
                  > Reds Meadow after another 3 or 4
                  > days there is another store, Restaurant, showers to
                  > restock again!!!....so you
                  > might want to think about lightening up a bit till
                  > after Vermillion....also
                  > at Muir Ranch there is another boat that goes into
                  > the resort there to restock
                  > again if you want....now, from that point to
                  > Whitney there are no places to
                  > restock!!! Have fun, watch the river and creek
                  > crossings ( hope you have
                  > trecking poles ) Expect snow at all the passes,
                  > especially Muir Pass!!! Also,
                  > remember that the Period meteor shower will be going
                  > on , check when the best
                  > nights will be!!!...I hope I surprised you with that
                  > one!!!...Doug

                  > removed]
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                • Frank Martin
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 29, 2005
                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Miles & Erin Parroco
                    <meparroco@g...> wrote:
                    > To all of those experienced hikers...we are not like yourselves, and
                    we are
                    > leaving on Monday for our first JMT hike.
                    > We plan on going from North to South in about 21 days.
                    > As we are putting together our food we are trying to figure out the
                    bear
                    > canister thing. We plan on renting them from the park in Yosemite.
                    We posted
                    > food forward only to one spot (Vermilion Valley).
                    > So, we have 9 days of food, and then we'll have about 12 days of food.
                    > As we look at our food we think we'll have to get 3 possibly 4 bear
                    > canisters to fit it all.
                    > We have to know if this is ridiculous?!! There are just 2 of us. Are we
                    > doing something wrong if we need that many canisters?
                    > Any advice? Thanks! Erin and Miles

                    Hi,

                    Each Garcia cannister weighs about 2 lbs. 14 oz. It is not practical
                    to carry more than one. Garcia's are the most cumbersome of all the
                    different brands both in weight and volumn.

                    It is late for you but for others you can also rent Bearikade
                    Expeditions from Wild Ideas. These hold twice as much as the Garcia
                    and weigh 2 lbs 5oz. I own one, they are very expensive ($275.00),
                    but they are by far the best.

                    There is an earlier thread on this list with a list of Bear boxes
                    along the trail. Plan you hike out of VVR so that you can make camp
                    near these boxes.

                    It really doesn't make sense to carry more than one cannister each.
                    Most of the people hiking the PCT don't even bother with a cannister.
                    They are experienced hikers at least by the time they reach the Sierra
                    and practice 'stealth camping' meaning they don't eat where they sleep.

                    Try reducing you packaging from the food you have purchases in advance.

                    Good luck, have fun.
                    frank
                  • Frank Martin
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 29, 2005
                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Laura Leaf Vandezande
                      <lauraleaf23@y...> wrote:
                      > Hello Erin and Miles,
                      >
                      > I will be heading out on the trail with my friend
                      > Joanna on Thursday. We are starting in Tuolumne and
                      > have sent resupply packages to Red's Meadow, Muir
                      > Trail Ranch and at the Pine Creek Pack Station at
                      > Onion Valley. The last one is a 5 mile hike out over
                      > Kearsarge Pass, and 5 miles back in, but I think it's
                      > worth not carrying a TON of food on my back from Muir
                      > trail Ranch.
                      >
                      > Their information can be found here:
                      > http://www.395.com/berners/
                      >
                      > 760/387-2797
                      > 800/962-0775
                      >
                      > You need to call them to set up a resupply drop. We
                      > looked into having them pack it in to us at Rae Lakes,
                      > but it would have cost $500 or so. Too much.
                      >
                      > I personally wouldn't want to pack 12 days of food.
                      > uggg. I think it's possible, but it wouldn't be
                      > comfortable.
                      >
                      > Laura
                      > p.s. I'm not familiar with the boat Doug mentioned at
                      > MTR. I think you need to hike off trail for that.

                      The boat is at VVR. To get to Muir Trail Ranch you take the Florence
                      Lake Trail after coming over Seldin pass.

                      If you are leaving next week the trail will be fine. You will have
                      snow at Donohue and maybe a bit at Muir but I think other than that
                      most of the snow is melting.

                      There are a lot of creek crossings. I wear trail runners and wade
                      through the creeks. I was not concerned with keeping my feet dry.
                      From Evolution Lake on I was fording 20-25 creeks and streams a day.
                      The people wearing boots were having problems because eventually they
                      got tired of taking their socks and shoes off every 15 minutes to ford.

                      They eventually ended up with wet boots, two pair of heavy slow drying
                      wet socks and blisters.

                      There is just a lot of water out there at least for the time I was
                      there. In normal year there would be logs or rocks over some of these
                      crossings but this year the logs and rocks are under the water.

                      My advice would be to bring extra fast drying socks, even if they are
                      not backpacking socks. Take care of your feet.

                      At Bear Creek cross North of the trail. There is an 'island' and you
                      do a double crossing and later cross back of one small creek to get to
                      the trail.

                      At Evolution Creek go South pass the trail crossing to Evolution
                      Meadow. There is an 'S' curve in the creek. There is a 'ghost trail'
                      leading right to it so it will not be hard to find. The water will be
                      deep but calm.

                      Be careful of the 'log crossings' on the smaller creeks where you can
                      find them. many people have slipped off these logs this year.

                      Other than that the trail conditions are GREAT. Just lots of water
                      everywhere.

                    • Pukkmann@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 29, 2005
                        In a message dated 7/29/2005 12:37:08 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                        lauraleaf23@... writes:

                        at Muir Ranch there is another boat that goes into
                        > the resort there to restock
                        > again if you want....now, from that point to
                        > Whitney there are no places to
                        > restock!!!

                        Laura is right, but the trail is pretty flat , natural hot springs to soak
                        in Blainey Meadows, 6 miles to Florence Lake, all at about 7800 feet hiking.

                      • Vera Lehmkuhl
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 29, 2005
                          When we were planning Jane and I were only going to carry one cannister the whole time. Resupply at Reds, VVR & Muir Ranch being the big one before entering the 10 days to the end. We thought we could do it all with that and maybe a bear bag, maybe....just for non essentials. However guys eat more than women do and I have to admit it would have been tight...what do you all think about that plan? We aborted this years hike due to our start date and the bad weather...its on for next year...

                          vera

                          --
                          Miles & Erin Parroco

                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 29, 2005
                            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Vera Lehmkuhl <vjl_47@y...> wrote:
                            > When we were planning Jane and I were only going to carry one
                            cannister the whole time. Resupply at Reds, VVR & Muir Ranch being the
                            big one before entering the 10 days to the end. We thought we could do
                            it all with that and maybe a bear bag, maybe....just for non
                            essentials. However guys eat more than women do and I have to admit it
                            would have been tight...what do you all think about that plan? We
                            aborted this years hike due to our start date and the bad
                            weather...its on for next year...

                            > vera

                            Hi Vera,

                            Here is the link to Bearikade Rental Program

                            https://id262.securedata.net/wild-ideas/rent.html

                            They are much more expensive to rent but you can get a lot more into
                            them. I dehydrate my own food and did the whole JMT without resupply.

                            Other alternatives (cheaper) is to purchase a Bearvault. It is
                            lighter and bigger than the garcia.

                          • stevenhmunson
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 29, 2005
                              In 2000 we did the stretch from Muir Trail Ranch to Whitney Portal
                              with no resupply and with the Garcia bear canisters (1 canister per
                              person). We could fit about 8 days of food into the Garcia
                              canisters with careful packaging, but we still had about 3-4 days of
                              food that wouldn't fit. To solve the problem, we took 100 ft. of
                              lightweight (but extremely strong) aircraft cable and crimped loops
                              into both ends. On the nights that we had food that wouldn't fit
                              into the bear canisters, we "hung" our food by throwing the aircraft
                              cable over a tall limb (tied to a stuffsack with a rock in it). We
                              tied the other end of the aircraft cable to a different tree besides
                              the tree that the food was hanging from (not counterbalanced). I
                              don't know if our system was tested by any bears or not (we didn't
                              hear or see any), but I believe that the bears would have trouble
                              seeing or figuring out the aircraft cable. It's really strong and I
                              don't think that the bears could gnaw through it even if they
                              figured out that it was what was holding the food aloft.

                              Just another method to consider - it worked for us.

                              <meparroco@g...> wrote:
                              > To all of those experienced hikers...we are not like yourselves,
                              and we are
                              > leaving on Monday for our first JMT hike.
                              > We plan on going from North to South in about 21 days.
                              > As we are putting together our food we are trying to figure out
                              the bear
                              > canister thing. We plan on renting them from the park in Yosemite.
                              We posted
                              > food forward only to one spot (Vermilion Valley).
                              > So, we have 9 days of food, and then we'll have about 12 days of
                              food.
                              > As we look at our food we think we'll have to get 3 possibly 4
                              bear
                              > canisters to fit it all.
                              > We have to know if this is ridiculous?!! There are just 2 of us.
                              Are we
                              > doing something wrong if we need that many canisters?
                              > Any advice? Thanks! Erin and Miles
                              >
                              > On 7/28/05, Vera Lehmkuhl <vjl_47@y...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > how was the trail? more details ....sheech just like a guy to
                              not say
                              > > anything else eh? :)
                              > > welcome home,
                              > > vera
                              > >
                              > > Frank Martin <sriprank@y...> wrote:
                              > > Hey I'm back.
                              > >
                              > > left Happy Isles 9:30 AM July 13 arrived Whitney Summit 9:30 AM
                              July 26.

                              > > GREAT HIKE!!!!

                              Service.

                              > > - Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
                              of

                              > > ------------------------------
                              > >

                              > --
                              > Miles & Erin Parroco

                            • Miles & Erin Parroco
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 29, 2005
                                Thank you to all of those that replied. The information is helpful, but we
                                still have some questions that hopefully some one can lend some insight to.
                                It seems as if we can restock twice before reaching VVR where we sent our
                                cache to. If we take 9 days to do that then we really only have to pack food
                                for 6 days (which is doable in one bear canister). After VVR we can restock
                                again at Muir Trail Ranch 2 days after leaving. The question is, if we take
                                12 days from VVR to the portal, in theory we would have to pack for 11 days
                                (2 bear canisters). Are there bear boxes at the campsites just after VVR
                                (negating the need for another bear canister) or will we just have to suck
                                it up and carry 2 canisters from day 1 (as I don't believe we can get
                                another one from VVR)? The guide that I have says that there are boxes on
                                day 16 but what do you do with the food from days 9 thru 16??
                                OR could we get away with one canister and put the excess factory sealed
                                foods in our packs (can bears smeall through those?). SO many questions, I
                                know but this is our first multi week trek. Any suuggestions would be
                                greatly appreciated.
                                Miles and Erin

                                --
                                Miles & Erin Parroco

                              • Greg Williams
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 29, 2005
                                  I'm doing VVR to the Portal starting 8/16. I'm planning for 11 days Deciding how to feed
                                  myself has been my only concern for the trip. This is what I've decided to do, at least as of
                                  today. I have planned for 3000 calories per day, and paid attention to packing as many
                                  calories as possible into the smallest possible packaging. My dinners come from Enertia
                                  Trail Foods and Mountain House Pro Packs. Lunches are various fruit and energy bars and
                                  nuts. Breakfasts are calorie-fortified pancakes and burritos. I have a Bear Vault and a
                                  bunch of O.P. Saks (odor-proof bags). The freeze dried and prepackaged dehydrated stuff
                                  goes into doubled O.P. Saks inside regular freezer-strength zip locks. All the "exposed
                                  food" gets crammed in the Bear Vault. I don't believe the bears will be able to smell the
                                  food that is kept outside the Bear Vault. First, it's vacuum packaged, so odor-leakage
                                  should not be a problem. If odors can get out, air can get in, and if that were to happen
                                  the packing wouldn't stay vacuum sealed. Second, it will be inside two odor-proof sacks
                                  inside a third zip lock inside nylon stuff sacks. (The zip locks are for added physical
                                  protection of the inner bags. If the O.P. Saks are punctured, obviously they will no longer
                                  be odor proof.) My remaining concern is that bears may key on the sight of a camp or a
                                  backpack and come scrounging around. So, the Bear Vault and the Saks will be separated
                                  from one another and hidden outside of camp. The O.P. Saks in particular will be well-
                                  hidden and out of sight. I'm not sure this plan solves the problem. I could be wrong about
                                  the O.P. Saks and about the bears not being able to smell the food. It seems illogical, but
                                  bears do have legendary noses. Perhaps they'll smell the bags rather than the food.
                                  Perhaps nowadays plastic smells like food to a bear. If that happens, I will still have the
                                  Bear Vault food to keep me going as I hike out, well chagrined, over the next available
                                  pass to hitch back to my car. That's the best option I've been able to come up with. Second
                                  choice is to haul a second Bear Vault, one of the smaller models. I suppose I can eat a lot
                                  of trout, if necessary. I will have my fly rod, and I always catch plenty. I do not want to
                                  walk out for re-supply. For me it would diminish the wonder of the trip. I have backpacked
                                  the Sierra for many many years and have never had bear trouble. But then, I have always
                                  avoided places with lots of traffic, like the JMT, for that very reason. This will be my first
                                  trip on the JMT, so I recognize that my long winning streak is in serious jeapordy.

                                  Hope to see some of you out there,

                                  Greg

                                • tmcsplash51
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 31, 2005
                                    Hello Everyone ,

                                    How much does your food weight from VVR to WP ..Greg.
                                    I am going from FLorence Lake to WP . Taking 12 days 11 nights .
                                    Someone is hiking with me for the first two days and carrying all
                                    those days food . So I am carrying about 10 days of food . I am
                                    using a Bearakade Expedition .It should fit . I too am planning on
                                    catching trout . All the other times I have been there I have
                                    caught more fish then I can eat .
                                    I just got my base weight down to 15 lbs. I feel good about that .
                                    It includes my binoculers , flyrod equipment and canister .

                                    I am Stoked ..Splash