Re: [John Muir Trail] Back From JMT

  • Catra Corbett
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 28, 2005
      Hi-

      I have done it as fast as 5 days 15 hours. Last year that's the woman's record. I hold the Yo Yo record too 12 days 4 hours. I have gone both North and South..
      From Muir ranch to HI... It gets easier. The first part your feet will be wet every single day.. The only time my feet did not get wet was the last two days from Reds Meadow to the finish..
      Bear Creek... Someone put a line up right before we got there... I wouldn't trust it by now it's probably stretched out. I held on to it with my left hand and used a trekking pole in my right. You have to straddle the rock in the middle of the crossing. I got flipped upside down because of the force there. It freaked me out. I was holding on the rope. Once I got footing I put my right foot on the other side for balance.

      If I new what I knew now. I would go to the left down stream and cross where it's wide and slow.
      Met a guy after, who crossed there it was calf deep and slow.

      The crossing near Silver has a rope up.. It's bomber, a very thick line.
      Don't forget to cross in the Meadow at Evolution and not the normal crossing.
      A few hikers have died at that crossing this year.
      I watched a guy try to cross and he freaked. I told him to go back and cross in the meadow.

      Not sure why the Rangers don't put signs up to direct us to safer crossings.(at least this year)

      All the passes had snow. Muir was the worst... I would say at least 1 mile of snow. There is a lot of route finding and boulder scrambling.. Just pay attention and you will be fine.

      Have fun out there and be safe.

      Cheers,
      Catra

      Pukkmann@... wrote:

      In a message dated 7/27/2005 6:18:40 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
      catrarunner@... writes:

      was out there too.... I started from Whitney on the 19th at 2:45pm and
      finished yesterday July 26th at 5:23pm.

      I was planning a triple but it was to slow going for me to finish in 636
      miles in 18 days. I knew I would be slower on the way back.. I will head out
      Friday to fastpack into Muir ranch to get my supply drop and check out some
      other trails. Going in over Piute Pass and coming back over Bishop Pass.

      Did you see me??? I was the girl with all the tattoos and piercings.
      Met alot of people maybe I met you???

      it was quite the adventure for me this year.
      Next year I will go for the triple.

      Cheers,
      Catra

      _http://www.birthdaychallenge.com_ (http://www.birthdaychallenge.com) :

      Catra, are you saying you did the JMT in 7 days?........wow!!...also, I did
      that loop you are going to do from North Lake to South Lake and it was
      magnificent!! Also, can you tell me a little bit about the JMT from Muir Ranch to
      Happy Isles? We are leaving 8-20...how about river crossings, bear creek
      and/or the one on the way up to Silver Pass ? Difficulty over the passes with
      snow? Anything else you might think of would be great!.......
      I have always thought going south to north would be easier....I
      would rather work hard the first 8 days, then after Muir Ranch, 2 nights out
      then you have Red's Meadow ( shower, meal ) 2 days later Toulomne , ( shower ,
      meal ) 2 days later, you are done.

      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 28, 2005
        In a message dated 7/28/2005 11:05:14 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
        catrarunner@... writes:

        Hi-

        I have done it as fast as 5 days 15 hours. Last year that's the woman's
        record. I hold the Yo Yo record too 12 days 4 hours. I have gone both North
        and South..
        From Muir ranch to HI... It gets easier. The first part your feet will
        be wet every single day.. The only time my feet did not get wet was the last
        two days from Reds Meadow to the finish..
[...]

        Thanks so much!!!...you are a big help!!!

      • Craig
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 28, 2005
          Catra,

          I am in awe of your accomplishments both as a mountaineer and endurance
          athlete. Any information you have regarding the JMT or the Sierras in
          general is really valuable.

          But I thought I'd take a comment you made to jump on a soap box for bit.

          If you're in the high Sierras you really need to be able to navigate for
          yourself. The NPS Rangers do what they can but trails do get obscured,
          signs get knocked down and out of date, ground conditions change every
          year. Expect problems.

          Soapbox done...

          Any day in the mountains is a good day!

          C!

          "if we can't have fun, at least we can suffer" Conrad Anker
          http://www.mountainknowledge.com - Know your mountain.

          I have done it as fast as 5 days 15 hours. Last year that's the woman's
          record. I hold the Yo Yo record too 12 days 4 hours. I have gone both
          North and South..
          >From Muir ranch to HI... It gets easier. The first part your feet
          will be wet every single day.. The only time my feet did not get wet

          catrarunner@... writes:

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Catra Corbett
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 28, 2005
            C-

            You're so right... I didn't make myself clear. In a couple places the NPS rangers did post signs taped to trail post warning of hazards crossings... They were not JMT crossings they were two other crossings to different areas.

            I agree we need to know how to take care of ourselves out there.

            I don't consider myself a mountaineer... I'm a Ultrarunner :) Someday hope to learn more about mountaineering(they are hardcore).
            Hey thanks for the compliment..

            I agree any day in the Mountains is a good day... That's why I plan on getting back to the Sierras tomorrow..

            Namaste,
            Catra

            catrarunner@... writes:

[...]

            John muir trail High sierras Alaska outdoors Great outdoors Oregon trail Portland trail blazer ticket

          • Vera Lehmkuhl
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 28, 2005
              how was the trail? more details ....sheech just like a guy to not say anything else eh? :)
              welcome home,
              vera

              Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:
              Hey I'm back.

              left Happy Isles 9:30 AM July 13 arrived Whitney Summit 9:30 AM July 26.

              GREAT HIKE!!!!

            • Miles & Erin Parroco
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 28, 2005
                To all of those experienced hikers...we are not like yourselves, and we are
                leaving on Monday for our first JMT hike.
                We plan on going from North to South in about 21 days.
                As we are putting together our food we are trying to figure out the bear
                canister thing. We plan on renting them from the park in Yosemite. We posted
                food forward only to one spot (Vermilion Valley).
                So, we have 9 days of food, and then we'll have about 12 days of food.
                As we look at our food we think we'll have to get 3 possibly 4 bear
                canisters to fit it all.
                We have to know if this is ridiculous?!! There are just 2 of us. Are we
                doing something wrong if we need that many canisters?
                Any advice? Thanks! Erin and Miles

                --
                Miles & Erin Parroco

                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 28, 2005
                  In a message dated 7/28/2005 11:30:02 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                  meparroco@... writes:

                  To all of those experienced hikers...we are not like yourselves, and we are
                  leaving on Monday for our first JMT hike.
                  We plan on going from North to South in about 21 days.
                  As we are putting together our food we are trying to figure out the bear
                  canister thing. We plan on renting them from the park in Yosemite. We posted
                  food forward only to one spot (Vermilion Valley).
                  So, we have 9 days of food, and then we'll have about 12 days of food.
                  As we look at our food we think we'll have to get 3 possibly 4 bear
                  canisters to fit it all.
                  We have to know if this is ridiculous?!! There are just 2 of us. Are we
                  doing something wrong if we need that many canisters?
                  Any advice? Thanks! Erin and Miles

                  On 7/28/05, Vera Lehmkuhl <vjl_47@...> wrote:

                  What I would do is this....pack what you want but remember, you will be in
                  Toulomne Meadows after two or three days, there are showers, a store a
                  restaurant in the Lodge, a cafe.....then again in Reds Meadow after another 3 or 4
                  days there is another store, Restaurant, showers to restock again!!!....so you
                  might want to think about lightening up a bit till after Vermillion....also
                  at Muir Ranch there is another boat that goes into the resort there to restock
                  again if you want....now, from that point to Whitney there are no places to
                  restock!!! Have fun, watch the river and creek crossings ( hope you have
                  trecking poles ) Expect snow at all the passes, especially Muir Pass!!! Also,
                  remember that the Period meteor shower will be going on , check when the best
                  nights will be!!!...I hope I surprised you with that one!!!...Doug

                • Laura Leaf Vandezande
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 29, 2005
                    Hello Erin and Miles,

                    I will be heading out on the trail with my friend
                    Joanna on Thursday. We are starting in Tuolumne and
                    have sent resupply packages to Red's Meadow, Muir
                    Trail Ranch and at the Pine Creek Pack Station at
                    Onion Valley. The last one is a 5 mile hike out over
                    Kearsarge Pass, and 5 miles back in, but I think it's
                    worth not carrying a TON of food on my back from Muir
                    trail Ranch.

                    Their information can be found here:
                    http://www.395.com/berners/

                    760/387-2797
                    800/962-0775

                    You need to call them to set up a resupply drop. We
                    looked into having them pack it in to us at Rae Lakes,
                    but it would have cost $500 or so. Too much.

                    I personally wouldn't want to pack 12 days of food.
                    uggg. I think it's possible, but it wouldn't be
                    comfortable.

                    Laura
                    p.s. I'm not familiar with the boat Doug mentioned at
                    MTR. I think you need to hike off trail for that.

                    --- Pukkmann@... wrote:

                    > In a message dated 7/28/2005 11:30:02 P.M. Pacific
                    > Standard Time,
                    > meparroco@... writes:
                    >
                    > To all of those experienced hikers...we are not
                    > like yourselves, and we are
                    > leaving on Monday for our first JMT hike.
                    > We plan on going from North to South in about 21
                    > days.
                    > As we are putting together our food we are trying
                    > to figure out the bear
                    > canister thing. We plan on renting them from the
                    > park in Yosemite. We posted
                    > food forward only to one spot (Vermilion Valley).
                    > So, we have 9 days of food, and then we'll have
                    > about 12 days of food.
                    > As we look at our food we think we'll have to get 3
                    > possibly 4 bear
                    > canisters to fit it all.
                    > We have to know if this is ridiculous?!! There are
                    > just 2 of us. Are we
                    > doing something wrong if we need that many
                    > canisters?
                    > Any advice? Thanks! Erin and Miles
                    >
                    > On 7/28/05, Vera Lehmkuhl <vjl_47@...> wrote:
                    >

                    > What I would do is this....pack what you want but
                    > remember, you will be in
                    > Toulomne Meadows after two or three days, there are
                    > showers, a store a
                    > restaurant in the Lodge, a cafe.....then again in
                    > Reds Meadow after another 3 or 4
                    > days there is another store, Restaurant, showers to
                    > restock again!!!....so you
                    > might want to think about lightening up a bit till
                    > after Vermillion....also
                    > at Muir Ranch there is another boat that goes into
                    > the resort there to restock
                    > again if you want....now, from that point to
                    > Whitney there are no places to
                    > restock!!! Have fun, watch the river and creek
                    > crossings ( hope you have
                    > trecking poles ) Expect snow at all the passes,
                    > especially Muir Pass!!! Also,
                    > remember that the Period meteor shower will be going
                    > on , check when the best
                    > nights will be!!!...I hope I surprised you with that
                    > one!!!...Doug

                    > removed]
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                  • Frank Martin
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 29, 2005
                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Miles & Erin Parroco
                      <meparroco@g...> wrote:
                      > To all of those experienced hikers...we are not like yourselves, and
                      we are
                      > leaving on Monday for our first JMT hike.
                      > We plan on going from North to South in about 21 days.
                      > As we are putting together our food we are trying to figure out the
                      bear
                      > canister thing. We plan on renting them from the park in Yosemite.
                      We posted
                      > food forward only to one spot (Vermilion Valley).
                      > So, we have 9 days of food, and then we'll have about 12 days of food.
                      > As we look at our food we think we'll have to get 3 possibly 4 bear
                      > canisters to fit it all.
                      > We have to know if this is ridiculous?!! There are just 2 of us. Are we
                      > doing something wrong if we need that many canisters?
                      > Any advice? Thanks! Erin and Miles

                      Hi,

                      Each Garcia cannister weighs about 2 lbs. 14 oz. It is not practical
                      to carry more than one. Garcia's are the most cumbersome of all the
                      different brands both in weight and volumn.

                      It is late for you but for others you can also rent Bearikade
                      Expeditions from Wild Ideas. These hold twice as much as the Garcia
                      and weigh 2 lbs 5oz. I own one, they are very expensive ($275.00),
                      but they are by far the best.

                      There is an earlier thread on this list with a list of Bear boxes
                      along the trail. Plan you hike out of VVR so that you can make camp
                      near these boxes.

                      It really doesn't make sense to carry more than one cannister each.
                      Most of the people hiking the PCT don't even bother with a cannister.
                      They are experienced hikers at least by the time they reach the Sierra
                      and practice 'stealth camping' meaning they don't eat where they sleep.

                      Try reducing you packaging from the food you have purchases in advance.

                      Good luck, have fun.
                      frank
                    • Frank Martin
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 29, 2005
                        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Laura Leaf Vandezande
                        <lauraleaf23@y...> wrote:
                        > Hello Erin and Miles,
                        >
                        > I will be heading out on the trail with my friend
                        > Joanna on Thursday. We are starting in Tuolumne and
                        > have sent resupply packages to Red's Meadow, Muir
                        > Trail Ranch and at the Pine Creek Pack Station at
                        > Onion Valley. The last one is a 5 mile hike out over
                        > Kearsarge Pass, and 5 miles back in, but I think it's
                        > worth not carrying a TON of food on my back from Muir
                        > trail Ranch.
                        >
                        > Their information can be found here:
                        > http://www.395.com/berners/
                        >
                        > 760/387-2797
                        > 800/962-0775
                        >
                        > You need to call them to set up a resupply drop. We
                        > looked into having them pack it in to us at Rae Lakes,
                        > but it would have cost $500 or so. Too much.
                        >
                        > I personally wouldn't want to pack 12 days of food.
                        > uggg. I think it's possible, but it wouldn't be
                        > comfortable.
                        >
                        > Laura
                        > p.s. I'm not familiar with the boat Doug mentioned at
                        > MTR. I think you need to hike off trail for that.

                        The boat is at VVR. To get to Muir Trail Ranch you take the Florence
                        Lake Trail after coming over Seldin pass.

                        If you are leaving next week the trail will be fine. You will have
                        snow at Donohue and maybe a bit at Muir but I think other than that
                        most of the snow is melting.

                        There are a lot of creek crossings. I wear trail runners and wade
                        through the creeks. I was not concerned with keeping my feet dry.
                        From Evolution Lake on I was fording 20-25 creeks and streams a day.
                        The people wearing boots were having problems because eventually they
                        got tired of taking their socks and shoes off every 15 minutes to ford.

                        They eventually ended up with wet boots, two pair of heavy slow drying
                        wet socks and blisters.

                        There is just a lot of water out there at least for the time I was
                        there. In normal year there would be logs or rocks over some of these
                        crossings but this year the logs and rocks are under the water.

                        My advice would be to bring extra fast drying socks, even if they are
                        not backpacking socks. Take care of your feet.

                        At Bear Creek cross North of the trail. There is an 'island' and you
                        do a double crossing and later cross back of one small creek to get to
                        the trail.

                        At Evolution Creek go South pass the trail crossing to Evolution
                        Meadow. There is an 'S' curve in the creek. There is a 'ghost trail'
                        leading right to it so it will not be hard to find. The water will be
                        deep but calm.

                        Be careful of the 'log crossings' on the smaller creeks where you can
                        find them. many people have slipped off these logs this year.

                        Other than that the trail conditions are GREAT. Just lots of water
                        everywhere.

                      • Pukkmann@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 29, 2005
                          In a message dated 7/29/2005 12:37:08 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                          lauraleaf23@... writes:

                          at Muir Ranch there is another boat that goes into
                          > the resort there to restock
                          > again if you want....now, from that point to
                          > Whitney there are no places to
                          > restock!!!

                          Laura is right, but the trail is pretty flat , natural hot springs to soak
                          in Blainey Meadows, 6 miles to Florence Lake, all at about 7800 feet hiking.

                        • Vera Lehmkuhl
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 29, 2005
                            When we were planning Jane and I were only going to carry one cannister the whole time. Resupply at Reds, VVR & Muir Ranch being the big one before entering the 10 days to the end. We thought we could do it all with that and maybe a bear bag, maybe....just for non essentials. However guys eat more than women do and I have to admit it would have been tight...what do you all think about that plan? We aborted this years hike due to our start date and the bad weather...its on for next year...

                            vera

                            --
                            Miles & Erin Parroco

                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 29, 2005
                              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Vera Lehmkuhl <vjl_47@y...> wrote:
                              > When we were planning Jane and I were only going to carry one
                              cannister the whole time. Resupply at Reds, VVR & Muir Ranch being the
                              big one before entering the 10 days to the end. We thought we could do
                              it all with that and maybe a bear bag, maybe....just for non
                              essentials. However guys eat more than women do and I have to admit it
                              would have been tight...what do you all think about that plan? We
                              aborted this years hike due to our start date and the bad
                              weather...its on for next year...

                              > vera

                              Hi Vera,

                              Here is the link to Bearikade Rental Program

                              https://id262.securedata.net/wild-ideas/rent.html

                              They are much more expensive to rent but you can get a lot more into
                              them. I dehydrate my own food and did the whole JMT without resupply.

                              Other alternatives (cheaper) is to purchase a Bearvault. It is
                              lighter and bigger than the garcia.

                            • stevenhmunson
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 29, 2005
                                In 2000 we did the stretch from Muir Trail Ranch to Whitney Portal
                                with no resupply and with the Garcia bear canisters (1 canister per
                                person). We could fit about 8 days of food into the Garcia
                                canisters with careful packaging, but we still had about 3-4 days of
                                food that wouldn't fit. To solve the problem, we took 100 ft. of
                                lightweight (but extremely strong) aircraft cable and crimped loops
                                into both ends. On the nights that we had food that wouldn't fit
                                into the bear canisters, we "hung" our food by throwing the aircraft
                                cable over a tall limb (tied to a stuffsack with a rock in it). We
                                tied the other end of the aircraft cable to a different tree besides
                                the tree that the food was hanging from (not counterbalanced). I
                                don't know if our system was tested by any bears or not (we didn't
                                hear or see any), but I believe that the bears would have trouble
                                seeing or figuring out the aircraft cable. It's really strong and I
                                don't think that the bears could gnaw through it even if they
                                figured out that it was what was holding the food aloft.

                                Just another method to consider - it worked for us.

                                <meparroco@g...> wrote:
                                > To all of those experienced hikers...we are not like yourselves,
                                and we are
                                > leaving on Monday for our first JMT hike.
                                > We plan on going from North to South in about 21 days.
                                > As we are putting together our food we are trying to figure out
                                the bear
                                > canister thing. We plan on renting them from the park in Yosemite.
                                We posted
                                > food forward only to one spot (Vermilion Valley).
                                > So, we have 9 days of food, and then we'll have about 12 days of
                                food.
                                > As we look at our food we think we'll have to get 3 possibly 4
                                bear
                                > canisters to fit it all.
                                > We have to know if this is ridiculous?!! There are just 2 of us.
                                Are we
                                > doing something wrong if we need that many canisters?
                                > Any advice? Thanks! Erin and Miles
                                >
                                > On 7/28/05, Vera Lehmkuhl <vjl_47@y...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > how was the trail? more details ....sheech just like a guy to
                                not say
                                > > anything else eh? :)
                                > > welcome home,
                                > > vera
                                > >
                                > > Frank Martin <sriprank@y...> wrote:
                                > > Hey I'm back.
                                > >
                                > > left Happy Isles 9:30 AM July 13 arrived Whitney Summit 9:30 AM
                                July 26.

                                > > GREAT HIKE!!!!

                                Service.

                                > > - Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
                                of

                                > > ------------------------------
                                > >

                                > --
                                > Miles & Erin Parroco

                              • Miles & Erin Parroco
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 29, 2005
                                  Thank you to all of those that replied. The information is helpful, but we
                                  still have some questions that hopefully some one can lend some insight to.
                                  It seems as if we can restock twice before reaching VVR where we sent our
                                  cache to. If we take 9 days to do that then we really only have to pack food
                                  for 6 days (which is doable in one bear canister). After VVR we can restock
                                  again at Muir Trail Ranch 2 days after leaving. The question is, if we take
                                  12 days from VVR to the portal, in theory we would have to pack for 11 days
                                  (2 bear canisters). Are there bear boxes at the campsites just after VVR
                                  (negating the need for another bear canister) or will we just have to suck
                                  it up and carry 2 canisters from day 1 (as I don't believe we can get
                                  another one from VVR)? The guide that I have says that there are boxes on
                                  day 16 but what do you do with the food from days 9 thru 16??
                                  OR could we get away with one canister and put the excess factory sealed
                                  foods in our packs (can bears smeall through those?). SO many questions, I
                                  know but this is our first multi week trek. Any suuggestions would be
                                  greatly appreciated.
                                  Miles and Erin

                                  --
                                  Miles & Erin Parroco

                                • Greg Williams
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 29, 2005
                                    I'm doing VVR to the Portal starting 8/16. I'm planning for 11 days Deciding how to feed
                                    myself has been my only concern for the trip. This is what I've decided to do, at least as of
                                    today. I have planned for 3000 calories per day, and paid attention to packing as many
                                    calories as possible into the smallest possible packaging. My dinners come from Enertia
                                    Trail Foods and Mountain House Pro Packs. Lunches are various fruit and energy bars and
                                    nuts. Breakfasts are calorie-fortified pancakes and burritos. I have a Bear Vault and a
                                    bunch of O.P. Saks (odor-proof bags). The freeze dried and prepackaged dehydrated stuff
                                    goes into doubled O.P. Saks inside regular freezer-strength zip locks. All the "exposed
                                    food" gets crammed in the Bear Vault. I don't believe the bears will be able to smell the
                                    food that is kept outside the Bear Vault. First, it's vacuum packaged, so odor-leakage
                                    should not be a problem. If odors can get out, air can get in, and if that were to happen
                                    the packing wouldn't stay vacuum sealed. Second, it will be inside two odor-proof sacks
                                    inside a third zip lock inside nylon stuff sacks. (The zip locks are for added physical
                                    protection of the inner bags. If the O.P. Saks are punctured, obviously they will no longer
                                    be odor proof.) My remaining concern is that bears may key on the sight of a camp or a
                                    backpack and come scrounging around. So, the Bear Vault and the Saks will be separated
                                    from one another and hidden outside of camp. The O.P. Saks in particular will be well-
                                    hidden and out of sight. I'm not sure this plan solves the problem. I could be wrong about
                                    the O.P. Saks and about the bears not being able to smell the food. It seems illogical, but
                                    bears do have legendary noses. Perhaps they'll smell the bags rather than the food.
                                    Perhaps nowadays plastic smells like food to a bear. If that happens, I will still have the
                                    Bear Vault food to keep me going as I hike out, well chagrined, over the next available
                                    pass to hitch back to my car. That's the best option I've been able to come up with. Second
                                    choice is to haul a second Bear Vault, one of the smaller models. I suppose I can eat a lot
                                    of trout, if necessary. I will have my fly rod, and I always catch plenty. I do not want to
                                    walk out for re-supply. For me it would diminish the wonder of the trip. I have backpacked
                                    the Sierra for many many years and have never had bear trouble. But then, I have always
                                    avoided places with lots of traffic, like the JMT, for that very reason. This will be my first
                                    trip on the JMT, so I recognize that my long winning streak is in serious jeapordy.

                                    Hope to see some of you out there,

                                    Greg

                                  • tmcsplash51
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jul 31, 2005
                                      Hello Everyone ,

                                      How much does your food weight from VVR to WP ..Greg.
                                      I am going from FLorence Lake to WP . Taking 12 days 11 nights .
                                      Someone is hiking with me for the first two days and carrying all
                                      those days food . So I am carrying about 10 days of food . I am
                                      using a Bearakade Expedition .It should fit . I too am planning on
                                      catching trout . All the other times I have been there I have
                                      caught more fish then I can eat .
                                      I just got my base weight down to 15 lbs. I feel good about that .
                                      It includes my binoculers , flyrod equipment and canister .

                                      I am Stoked ..Splash