Back From JMT

  • Frank Martin
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 27, 2005
      Hey I'm back.

      left Happy Isles 9:30 AM July 13 arrived Whitney Summit 9:30 AM July 26.

      GREAT HIKE!!!!
    • Catra Corbett
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 27, 2005
        Hi frank-

        I was out there too.... I started from Whitney on the 19th at 2:45pm and finished yesterday July 26th at 5:23pm.

        I was planning a triple but it was to slow going for me to finish in 636 miles in 18 days. I knew I would be slower on the way back.. I will head out Friday to fastpack into Muir ranch to get my supply drop and check out some other trails. Going in over Piute Pass and coming back over Bishop Pass.

        Did you see me??? I was the girl with all the tattoos and piercings.
        Met alot of people maybe I met you???

        it was quite the adventure for me this year.
        Next year I will go for the triple.

        Cheers,
        Catra

        http://www.birthdaychallenge.com

        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 27, 2005
          In a message dated 7/27/2005 5:55:00 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
          sriprank@... writes:

          Hey I'm back.

          left Happy Isles 9:30 AM July 13 arrived Whitney Summit 9:30 AM July 26.

          GREAT HIKE!!!!

          congratulations!!!...any trip reports would be great!!!.....Doug

        • Pukkmann@aol.com
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 27, 2005
            In a message dated 7/27/2005 6:18:40 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
            catrarunner@... writes:

            was out there too.... I started from Whitney on the 19th at 2:45pm and
            finished yesterday July 26th at 5:23pm.

            I was planning a triple but it was to slow going for me to finish in 636
            miles in 18 days. I knew I would be slower on the way back.. I will head out
            Friday to fastpack into Muir ranch to get my supply drop and check out some
            other trails. Going in over Piute Pass and coming back over Bishop Pass.

            Did you see me??? I was the girl with all the tattoos and piercings.
            Met alot of people maybe I met you???

            it was quite the adventure for me this year.
            Next year I will go for the triple.

            Cheers,
            Catra

            _http://www.birthdaychallenge.com_ (http://www.birthdaychallenge.com) :

            Catra, are you saying you did the JMT in 7 days?........wow!!...also, I did
            that loop you are going to do from North Lake to South Lake and it was
            magnificent!! Also, can you tell me a little bit about the JMT from Muir Ranch to
            Happy Isles? We are leaving 8-20...how about river crossings, bear creek
            and/or the one on the way up to Silver Pass ? Difficulty over the passes with
            snow? Anything else you might think of would be great!.......
            I have always thought going south to north would be easier....I
            would rather work hard the first 8 days, then after Muir Ranch, 2 nights out
            then you have Red's Meadow ( shower, meal ) 2 days later Toulomne , ( shower ,
            meal ) 2 days later, you are done.

          • Catra Corbett
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 28, 2005
              Hi-

              I have done it as fast as 5 days 15 hours. Last year that's the woman's record. I hold the Yo Yo record too 12 days 4 hours. I have gone both North and South..
              From Muir ranch to HI... It gets easier. The first part your feet will be wet every single day.. The only time my feet did not get wet was the last two days from Reds Meadow to the finish..
              Bear Creek... Someone put a line up right before we got there... I wouldn't trust it by now it's probably stretched out. I held on to it with my left hand and used a trekking pole in my right. You have to straddle the rock in the middle of the crossing. I got flipped upside down because of the force there. It freaked me out. I was holding on the rope. Once I got footing I put my right foot on the other side for balance.

              If I new what I knew now. I would go to the left down stream and cross where it's wide and slow.
              Met a guy after, who crossed there it was calf deep and slow.

              The crossing near Silver has a rope up.. It's bomber, a very thick line.
              Don't forget to cross in the Meadow at Evolution and not the normal crossing.
              A few hikers have died at that crossing this year.
              I watched a guy try to cross and he freaked. I told him to go back and cross in the meadow.

              Not sure why the Rangers don't put signs up to direct us to safer crossings.(at least this year)

              All the passes had snow. Muir was the worst... I would say at least 1 mile of snow. There is a lot of route finding and boulder scrambling.. Just pay attention and you will be fine.

              Have fun out there and be safe.

              Cheers,
              Catra

              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 28, 2005
                In a message dated 7/28/2005 11:05:14 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                catrarunner@... writes:

                Hi-

                I have done it as fast as 5 days 15 hours. Last year that's the woman's
                record. I hold the Yo Yo record too 12 days 4 hours. I have gone both North
                and South..
                From Muir ranch to HI... It gets easier. The first part your feet will
                be wet every single day.. The only time my feet did not get wet was the last
                two days from Reds Meadow to the finish..
[...]

                Thanks so much!!!...you are a big help!!!

              • Craig
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 28, 2005
                  Catra,

                  I am in awe of your accomplishments both as a mountaineer and endurance
                  athlete. Any information you have regarding the JMT or the Sierras in
                  general is really valuable.

                  But I thought I'd take a comment you made to jump on a soap box for bit.

                  If you're in the high Sierras you really need to be able to navigate for
                  yourself. The NPS Rangers do what they can but trails do get obscured,
                  signs get knocked down and out of date, ground conditions change every
                  year. Expect problems.

                  Soapbox done...

                  Any day in the mountains is a good day!

                  C!

                  "if we can't have fun, at least we can suffer" Conrad Anker
                  http://www.mountainknowledge.com - Know your mountain.

                  I have done it as fast as 5 days 15 hours. Last year that's the woman's
                  record. I hold the Yo Yo record too 12 days 4 hours. I have gone both
                  North and South..
                  >From Muir ranch to HI... It gets easier. The first part your feet
                  will be wet every single day.. The only time my feet did not get wet

                  catrarunner@... writes:

[...]

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Catra Corbett
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 28, 2005
                    C-

                    You're so right... I didn't make myself clear. In a couple places the NPS rangers did post signs taped to trail post warning of hazards crossings... They were not JMT crossings they were two other crossings to different areas.

                    I agree we need to know how to take care of ourselves out there.

                    I don't consider myself a mountaineer... I'm a Ultrarunner :) Someday hope to learn more about mountaineering(they are hardcore).
                    Hey thanks for the compliment..

                    I agree any day in the Mountains is a good day... That's why I plan on getting back to the Sierras tomorrow..

                    Namaste,
                    Catra

                    catrarunner@... writes:

[...]

                    John muir trail High sierras Alaska outdoors Great outdoors Oregon trail Portland trail blazer ticket

                  • Vera Lehmkuhl
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 28, 2005
                      how was the trail? more details ....sheech just like a guy to not say anything else eh? :)
                      welcome home,
                      vera

                      Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:
                      Hey I'm back.

                      left Happy Isles 9:30 AM July 13 arrived Whitney Summit 9:30 AM July 26.

                      GREAT HIKE!!!!

                    • Miles & Erin Parroco
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 28, 2005
                        To all of those experienced hikers...we are not like yourselves, and we are
                        leaving on Monday for our first JMT hike.
                        We plan on going from North to South in about 21 days.
                        As we are putting together our food we are trying to figure out the bear
                        canister thing. We plan on renting them from the park in Yosemite. We posted
                        food forward only to one spot (Vermilion Valley).
                        So, we have 9 days of food, and then we'll have about 12 days of food.
                        As we look at our food we think we'll have to get 3 possibly 4 bear
                        canisters to fit it all.
                        We have to know if this is ridiculous?!! There are just 2 of us. Are we
                        doing something wrong if we need that many canisters?
                        Any advice? Thanks! Erin and Miles

                        --
                        Miles & Erin Parroco

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 28, 2005
                          In a message dated 7/28/2005 11:30:02 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                          meparroco@... writes:

                          To all of those experienced hikers...we are not like yourselves, and we are
                          leaving on Monday for our first JMT hike.
                          We plan on going from North to South in about 21 days.
                          As we are putting together our food we are trying to figure out the bear
                          canister thing. We plan on renting them from the park in Yosemite. We posted
                          food forward only to one spot (Vermilion Valley).
                          So, we have 9 days of food, and then we'll have about 12 days of food.
                          As we look at our food we think we'll have to get 3 possibly 4 bear
                          canisters to fit it all.
                          We have to know if this is ridiculous?!! There are just 2 of us. Are we
                          doing something wrong if we need that many canisters?
                          Any advice? Thanks! Erin and Miles

                          On 7/28/05, Vera Lehmkuhl <vjl_47@...> wrote:

                          What I would do is this....pack what you want but remember, you will be in
                          Toulomne Meadows after two or three days, there are showers, a store a
                          restaurant in the Lodge, a cafe.....then again in Reds Meadow after another 3 or 4
                          days there is another store, Restaurant, showers to restock again!!!....so you
                          might want to think about lightening up a bit till after Vermillion....also
                          at Muir Ranch there is another boat that goes into the resort there to restock
                          again if you want....now, from that point to Whitney there are no places to
                          restock!!! Have fun, watch the river and creek crossings ( hope you have
                          trecking poles ) Expect snow at all the passes, especially Muir Pass!!! Also,
                          remember that the Period meteor shower will be going on , check when the best
                          nights will be!!!...I hope I surprised you with that one!!!...Doug

                        • Laura Leaf Vandezande
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 29, 2005
                            Hello Erin and Miles,

                            I will be heading out on the trail with my friend
                            Joanna on Thursday. We are starting in Tuolumne and
                            have sent resupply packages to Red's Meadow, Muir
                            Trail Ranch and at the Pine Creek Pack Station at
                            Onion Valley. The last one is a 5 mile hike out over
                            Kearsarge Pass, and 5 miles back in, but I think it's
                            worth not carrying a TON of food on my back from Muir
                            trail Ranch.

                            Their information can be found here:
                            http://www.395.com/berners/

                            760/387-2797
                            800/962-0775

                            You need to call them to set up a resupply drop. We
                            looked into having them pack it in to us at Rae Lakes,
                            but it would have cost $500 or so. Too much.

                            I personally wouldn't want to pack 12 days of food.
                            uggg. I think it's possible, but it wouldn't be
                            comfortable.

                            Laura
                            p.s. I'm not familiar with the boat Doug mentioned at
                            MTR. I think you need to hike off trail for that.

                            --- Pukkmann@... wrote:

                            > In a message dated 7/28/2005 11:30:02 P.M. Pacific
                            > Standard Time,
                            > meparroco@... writes:
                            >
                            > To all of those experienced hikers...we are not
                            > like yourselves, and we are
                            > leaving on Monday for our first JMT hike.
                            > We plan on going from North to South in about 21
                            > days.
                            > As we are putting together our food we are trying
                            > to figure out the bear
                            > canister thing. We plan on renting them from the
                            > park in Yosemite. We posted
                            > food forward only to one spot (Vermilion Valley).
                            > So, we have 9 days of food, and then we'll have
                            > about 12 days of food.
                            > As we look at our food we think we'll have to get 3
                            > possibly 4 bear
                            > canisters to fit it all.
                            > We have to know if this is ridiculous?!! There are
                            > just 2 of us. Are we
                            > doing something wrong if we need that many
                            > canisters?
                            > Any advice? Thanks! Erin and Miles
                            >
                            > On 7/28/05, Vera Lehmkuhl <vjl_47@...> wrote:
                            >

                            > What I would do is this....pack what you want but
                            > remember, you will be in
                            > Toulomne Meadows after two or three days, there are
                            > showers, a store a
                            > restaurant in the Lodge, a cafe.....then again in
                            > Reds Meadow after another 3 or 4
                            > days there is another store, Restaurant, showers to
                            > restock again!!!....so you
                            > might want to think about lightening up a bit till
                            > after Vermillion....also
                            > at Muir Ranch there is another boat that goes into
                            > the resort there to restock
                            > again if you want....now, from that point to
                            > Whitney there are no places to
                            > restock!!! Have fun, watch the river and creek
                            > crossings ( hope you have
                            > trecking poles ) Expect snow at all the passes,
                            > especially Muir Pass!!! Also,
                            > remember that the Period meteor shower will be going
                            > on , check when the best
                            > nights will be!!!...I hope I surprised you with that
                            > one!!!...Doug

                            > removed]
                            >

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                          • Frank Martin
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 29, 2005
                              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Miles & Erin Parroco
                              <meparroco@g...> wrote:
                              > To all of those experienced hikers...we are not like yourselves, and
                              we are
                              > leaving on Monday for our first JMT hike.
                              > We plan on going from North to South in about 21 days.
                              > As we are putting together our food we are trying to figure out the
                              bear
                              > canister thing. We plan on renting them from the park in Yosemite.
                              We posted
                              > food forward only to one spot (Vermilion Valley).
                              > So, we have 9 days of food, and then we'll have about 12 days of food.
                              > As we look at our food we think we'll have to get 3 possibly 4 bear
                              > canisters to fit it all.
                              > We have to know if this is ridiculous?!! There are just 2 of us. Are we
                              > doing something wrong if we need that many canisters?
                              > Any advice? Thanks! Erin and Miles

                              Hi,

                              Each Garcia cannister weighs about 2 lbs. 14 oz. It is not practical
                              to carry more than one. Garcia's are the most cumbersome of all the
                              different brands both in weight and volumn.

                              It is late for you but for others you can also rent Bearikade
                              Expeditions from Wild Ideas. These hold twice as much as the Garcia
                              and weigh 2 lbs 5oz. I own one, they are very expensive ($275.00),
                              but they are by far the best.

                              There is an earlier thread on this list with a list of Bear boxes
                              along the trail. Plan you hike out of VVR so that you can make camp
                              near these boxes.

                              It really doesn't make sense to carry more than one cannister each.
                              Most of the people hiking the PCT don't even bother with a cannister.
                              They are experienced hikers at least by the time they reach the Sierra
                              and practice 'stealth camping' meaning they don't eat where they sleep.

                              Try reducing you packaging from the food you have purchases in advance.

                              Good luck, have fun.
                              frank
                            • Frank Martin
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 29, 2005
                                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Laura Leaf Vandezande
                                <lauraleaf23@y...> wrote:
                                > Hello Erin and Miles,
                                >
                                > I will be heading out on the trail with my friend
                                > Joanna on Thursday. We are starting in Tuolumne and
                                > have sent resupply packages to Red's Meadow, Muir
                                > Trail Ranch and at the Pine Creek Pack Station at
                                > Onion Valley. The last one is a 5 mile hike out over
                                > Kearsarge Pass, and 5 miles back in, but I think it's
                                > worth not carrying a TON of food on my back from Muir
                                > trail Ranch.
                                >
                                > Their information can be found here:
                                > http://www.395.com/berners/
                                >
                                > 760/387-2797
                                > 800/962-0775
                                >
                                > You need to call them to set up a resupply drop. We
                                > looked into having them pack it in to us at Rae Lakes,
                                > but it would have cost $500 or so. Too much.
                                >
                                > I personally wouldn't want to pack 12 days of food.
                                > uggg. I think it's possible, but it wouldn't be
                                > comfortable.
                                >
                                > Laura
                                > p.s. I'm not familiar with the boat Doug mentioned at
                                > MTR. I think you need to hike off trail for that.

                                The boat is at VVR. To get to Muir Trail Ranch you take the Florence
                                Lake Trail after coming over Seldin pass.

                                If you are leaving next week the trail will be fine. You will have
                                snow at Donohue and maybe a bit at Muir but I think other than that
                                most of the snow is melting.

                                There are a lot of creek crossings. I wear trail runners and wade
                                through the creeks. I was not concerned with keeping my feet dry.
                                From Evolution Lake on I was fording 20-25 creeks and streams a day.
                                The people wearing boots were having problems because eventually they
                                got tired of taking their socks and shoes off every 15 minutes to ford.

                                They eventually ended up with wet boots, two pair of heavy slow drying
                                wet socks and blisters.

                                There is just a lot of water out there at least for the time I was
                                there. In normal year there would be logs or rocks over some of these
                                crossings but this year the logs and rocks are under the water.

                                My advice would be to bring extra fast drying socks, even if they are
                                not backpacking socks. Take care of your feet.

                                At Bear Creek cross North of the trail. There is an 'island' and you
                                do a double crossing and later cross back of one small creek to get to
                                the trail.

                                At Evolution Creek go South pass the trail crossing to Evolution
                                Meadow. There is an 'S' curve in the creek. There is a 'ghost trail'
                                leading right to it so it will not be hard to find. The water will be
                                deep but calm.

                                Be careful of the 'log crossings' on the smaller creeks where you can
                                find them. many people have slipped off these logs this year.

                                Other than that the trail conditions are GREAT. Just lots of water
                                everywhere.

                              • Pukkmann@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 29, 2005
                                  In a message dated 7/29/2005 12:37:08 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                                  lauraleaf23@... writes:

                                  at Muir Ranch there is another boat that goes into
                                  > the resort there to restock
                                  > again if you want....now, from that point to
                                  > Whitney there are no places to
                                  > restock!!!

                                  Laura is right, but the trail is pretty flat , natural hot springs to soak
                                  in Blainey Meadows, 6 miles to Florence Lake, all at about 7800 feet hiking.

                                • Vera Lehmkuhl
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 29, 2005
                                    When we were planning Jane and I were only going to carry one cannister the whole time. Resupply at Reds, VVR & Muir Ranch being the big one before entering the 10 days to the end. We thought we could do it all with that and maybe a bear bag, maybe....just for non essentials. However guys eat more than women do and I have to admit it would have been tight...what do you all think about that plan? We aborted this years hike due to our start date and the bad weather...its on for next year...

                                    vera

                                    --
                                    Miles & Erin Parroco

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jul 29, 2005
                                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Vera Lehmkuhl <vjl_47@y...> wrote:
                                      > When we were planning Jane and I were only going to carry one
                                      cannister the whole time. Resupply at Reds, VVR & Muir Ranch being the
                                      big one before entering the 10 days to the end. We thought we could do
                                      it all with that and maybe a bear bag, maybe....just for non
                                      essentials. However guys eat more than women do and I have to admit it
                                      would have been tight...what do you all think about that plan? We
                                      aborted this years hike due to our start date and the bad
                                      weather...its on for next year...

                                      > vera

                                      Hi Vera,

                                      Here is the link to Bearikade Rental Program

                                      https://id262.securedata.net/wild-ideas/rent.html

                                      They are much more expensive to rent but you can get a lot more into
                                      them. I dehydrate my own food and did the whole JMT without resupply.

                                      Other alternatives (cheaper) is to purchase a Bearvault. It is
                                      lighter and bigger than the garcia.

                                    • stevenhmunson
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jul 29, 2005
                                        In 2000 we did the stretch from Muir Trail Ranch to Whitney Portal
                                        with no resupply and with the Garcia bear canisters (1 canister per
                                        person). We could fit about 8 days of food into the Garcia
                                        canisters with careful packaging, but we still had about 3-4 days of
                                        food that wouldn't fit. To solve the problem, we took 100 ft. of
                                        lightweight (but extremely strong) aircraft cable and crimped loops
                                        into both ends. On the nights that we had food that wouldn't fit
                                        into the bear canisters, we "hung" our food by throwing the aircraft
                                        cable over a tall limb (tied to a stuffsack with a rock in it). We
                                        tied the other end of the aircraft cable to a different tree besides
                                        the tree that the food was hanging from (not counterbalanced). I
                                        don't know if our system was tested by any bears or not (we didn't
                                        hear or see any), but I believe that the bears would have trouble
                                        seeing or figuring out the aircraft cable. It's really strong and I
                                        don't think that the bears could gnaw through it even if they
                                        figured out that it was what was holding the food aloft.

                                        Just another method to consider - it worked for us.

                                        <meparroco@g...> wrote:
                                        > To all of those experienced hikers...we are not like yourselves,
                                        and we are
                                        > leaving on Monday for our first JMT hike.
                                        > We plan on going from North to South in about 21 days.
                                        > As we are putting together our food we are trying to figure out
                                        the bear
                                        > canister thing. We plan on renting them from the park in Yosemite.
                                        We posted
                                        > food forward only to one spot (Vermilion Valley).
                                        > So, we have 9 days of food, and then we'll have about 12 days of
                                        food.
                                        > As we look at our food we think we'll have to get 3 possibly 4
                                        bear
                                        > canisters to fit it all.
                                        > We have to know if this is ridiculous?!! There are just 2 of us.
                                        Are we
                                        > doing something wrong if we need that many canisters?
                                        > Any advice? Thanks! Erin and Miles
                                        >
                                        > On 7/28/05, Vera Lehmkuhl <vjl_47@y...> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > how was the trail? more details ....sheech just like a guy to
                                        not say
                                        > > anything else eh? :)
                                        > > welcome home,
                                        > > vera
                                        > >
                                        > > Frank Martin <sriprank@y...> wrote:
                                        > > Hey I'm back.
                                        > >
                                        > > left Happy Isles 9:30 AM July 13 arrived Whitney Summit 9:30 AM
                                        July 26.

                                        > > GREAT HIKE!!!!

                                        Service.

                                        > > - Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
                                        of

                                        > > ------------------------------
                                        > >

                                        > --
                                        > Miles & Erin Parroco

                                      • Miles & Erin Parroco
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jul 29, 2005
                                          Thank you to all of those that replied. The information is helpful, but we
                                          still have some questions that hopefully some one can lend some insight to.
                                          It seems as if we can restock twice before reaching VVR where we sent our
                                          cache to. If we take 9 days to do that then we really only have to pack food
                                          for 6 days (which is doable in one bear canister). After VVR we can restock
                                          again at Muir Trail Ranch 2 days after leaving. The question is, if we take
                                          12 days from VVR to the portal, in theory we would have to pack for 11 days
                                          (2 bear canisters). Are there bear boxes at the campsites just after VVR
                                          (negating the need for another bear canister) or will we just have to suck
                                          it up and carry 2 canisters from day 1 (as I don't believe we can get
                                          another one from VVR)? The guide that I have says that there are boxes on
                                          day 16 but what do you do with the food from days 9 thru 16??
                                          OR could we get away with one canister and put the excess factory sealed
                                          foods in our packs (can bears smeall through those?). SO many questions, I
                                          know but this is our first multi week trek. Any suuggestions would be
                                          greatly appreciated.
                                          Miles and Erin

                                          --
                                          Miles & Erin Parroco

                                        • Greg Williams
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jul 29, 2005
                                            I'm doing VVR to the Portal starting 8/16. I'm planning for 11 days Deciding how to feed
                                            myself has been my only concern for the trip. This is what I've decided to do, at least as of
                                            today. I have planned for 3000 calories per day, and paid attention to packing as many
                                            calories as possible into the smallest possible packaging. My dinners come from Enertia
                                            Trail Foods and Mountain House Pro Packs. Lunches are various fruit and energy bars and
                                            nuts. Breakfasts are calorie-fortified pancakes and burritos. I have a Bear Vault and a
                                            bunch of O.P. Saks (odor-proof bags). The freeze dried and prepackaged dehydrated stuff
                                            goes into doubled O.P. Saks inside regular freezer-strength zip locks. All the "exposed
                                            food" gets crammed in the Bear Vault. I don't believe the bears will be able to smell the
                                            food that is kept outside the Bear Vault. First, it's vacuum packaged, so odor-leakage
                                            should not be a problem. If odors can get out, air can get in, and if that were to happen
                                            the packing wouldn't stay vacuum sealed. Second, it will be inside two odor-proof sacks
                                            inside a third zip lock inside nylon stuff sacks. (The zip locks are for added physical
                                            protection of the inner bags. If the O.P. Saks are punctured, obviously they will no longer
                                            be odor proof.) My remaining concern is that bears may key on the sight of a camp or a
                                            backpack and come scrounging around. So, the Bear Vault and the Saks will be separated
                                            from one another and hidden outside of camp. The O.P. Saks in particular will be well-
                                            hidden and out of sight. I'm not sure this plan solves the problem. I could be wrong about
                                            the O.P. Saks and about the bears not being able to smell the food. It seems illogical, but
                                            bears do have legendary noses. Perhaps they'll smell the bags rather than the food.
                                            Perhaps nowadays plastic smells like food to a bear. If that happens, I will still have the
                                            Bear Vault food to keep me going as I hike out, well chagrined, over the next available
                                            pass to hitch back to my car. That's the best option I've been able to come up with. Second
                                            choice is to haul a second Bear Vault, one of the smaller models. I suppose I can eat a lot
                                            of trout, if necessary. I will have my fly rod, and I always catch plenty. I do not want to
                                            walk out for re-supply. For me it would diminish the wonder of the trip. I have backpacked
                                            the Sierra for many many years and have never had bear trouble. But then, I have always
                                            avoided places with lots of traffic, like the JMT, for that very reason. This will be my first
                                            trip on the JMT, so I recognize that my long winning streak is in serious jeapordy.

                                            Hope to see some of you out there,

                                            Greg

                                          • tmcsplash51
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jul 31, 2005
                                              Hello Everyone ,

                                              How much does your food weight from VVR to WP ..Greg.
                                              I am going from FLorence Lake to WP . Taking 12 days 11 nights .
                                              Someone is hiking with me for the first two days and carrying all
                                              those days food . So I am carrying about 10 days of food . I am
                                              using a Bearakade Expedition .It should fit . I too am planning on
                                              catching trout . All the other times I have been there I have
                                              caught more fish then I can eat .
                                              I just got my base weight down to 15 lbs. I feel good about that .
                                              It includes my binoculers , flyrod equipment and canister .

                                              I am Stoked ..Splash