Re:And Still Some More New Trail Info - bear canisters

  • Frank Martin
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 11 3:18 PM
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, backpack45scb <rbalcorn@g...> wrote:
      > The best thing for 11 days would be two Bearikade Expeditions, as
      they hold
      > 900 cu in and are lighter than the Bear Vault or Garcia. They can be
      rented
      > directly from the manufacturer, but you would need a U.S postal
      address to
      > pick them up. I don't think they are a rental choice at Yosemite. In
      any
      > case, repackage all your freeze dried food into paper lunch sacks or
      quart
      > ziplock bags, and you can get a couple more meals into the canister.
      > --
      > Ralph Alcorn
      > http://www.backpack45.com/johnmuirtrail.html

      Hi Ralph,

      Actually someone gave me one for a birthday gift last year. Using my
      own homemade dehydrated food I can get 12 day pressed into it. I do
      'one-pot' meals, four days to a ziplock, alternate dinner every three
      days. The food is unbreakable. Just keep pressing it down hard. I
      weigh each meal on a postal scale. I do carry a 'few extras' like
      small packets of miso soup. I come in at under 2 lbs a day for food
      including gatoade and GORP. Really those two items add the most
      weight and I will pick them up as I go if possible. My base weight is
      13 1/2 lbs and food weight including bearikade will be 22 lbs, plus
      ice ax.

      So I'll be under 38 lbs out of Tuolumne. About 36 over Donohue.
      frank

      frank