Re:And Still Some More New Trail Info - bear canisters

  • backpack45scb
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 11, 2005
      The best thing for 11 days would be two Bearikade Expeditions, as they hold
      900 cu in and are lighter than the Bear Vault or Garcia. They can be rented
      directly from the manufacturer, but you would need a U.S postal address to
      pick them up. I don't think they are a rental choice at Yosemite. In any
      case, repackage all your freeze dried food into paper lunch sacks or quart
      ziplock bags, and you can get a couple more meals into the canister.
      --
      Ralph Alcorn
      http://www.backpack45.com/johnmuirtrail.html

    • Frank Martin
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 11, 2005
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, backpack45scb <rbalcorn@g...> wrote:
        > The best thing for 11 days would be two Bearikade Expeditions, as
        they hold
        > 900 cu in and are lighter than the Bear Vault or Garcia. They can be
        rented
        > directly from the manufacturer, but you would need a U.S postal
        address to
        > pick them up. I don't think they are a rental choice at Yosemite. In
        any
        > case, repackage all your freeze dried food into paper lunch sacks or
        quart
        > ziplock bags, and you can get a couple more meals into the canister.
        > --
        > Ralph Alcorn
        > http://www.backpack45.com/johnmuirtrail.html

        Hi Ralph,

        Actually someone gave me one for a birthday gift last year. Using my
        own homemade dehydrated food I can get 12 day pressed into it. I do
        'one-pot' meals, four days to a ziplock, alternate dinner every three
        days. The food is unbreakable. Just keep pressing it down hard. I
        weigh each meal on a postal scale. I do carry a 'few extras' like
        small packets of miso soup. I come in at under 2 lbs a day for food
        including gatoade and GORP. Really those two items add the most
        weight and I will pick them up as I go if possible. My base weight is
        13 1/2 lbs and food weight including bearikade will be 22 lbs, plus
        ice ax.

        So I'll be under 38 lbs out of Tuolumne. About 36 over Donohue.
        frank

        frank