Re: [John Muir Trail] And Still Some More New Trail Info

  • thomas taylor
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 11, 2005
      Frank,

      You may be able to stash your food in one of the
      lockers at the Glen Aulin/Soda Springs trailhead.
      Glen Aulin is closed for the season (too much water).
      I drove up the road late one afternoon last week and
      found only one car that was parked by the lockers and
      it may have belonged to a fisherman that was late in
      getting back. Alternatively, you could also leave
      your food in Mammoth/Reds. That way you would be
      super lite for the first 60 miles of what will be the
      snowiest portion of the trip.

      Good luck and, above all, HAVE FUN!

      --- Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:

      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor
      > <tgtaylor7@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > Frank,
      > >
      > > That section on Forrester is on the south side
      > right
      > > where it's shady. If you go 'over' there, you're
      > > going all the way down.
      >

      > Hi Thomas,
      >
      > Thanks for all your info.
      >
      > I'll take the axe.
      >
      > Eating trail miles is my strong point. I can hike
      > from dawn to dusk.
      > The time spent route finding and safe stream
      > crossing are mile killers
      > though.
      >
      > I will have 12 days plus some extra out of Tuolumne.
      > I am going to
      > stash my food there and fastpack out of the Valley.
      > I am hoping to do
      > Donohue on the third day. We'll see.
      >
      > Looks like there is going to be a heat wave this
      > week.
      >
      > thanks again,

      Best regards,

      Thomas