Re: [John Muir Trail] And Still Some More New Trail Info

  • Frank Martin
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 10, 2005
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@y...>
      wrote:
      > Frank,
      >
      > That section on Forrester is on the south side right
      > where it's shady. If you go 'over' there, you're
      > going all the way down.

      Hi Thomas,

      Thanks for all your info.

      I'll take the axe.

      Eating trail miles is my strong point. I can hike from dawn to dusk.
      The time spent route finding and safe stream crossing are mile killers
      though.

      I will have 12 days plus some extra out of Tuolumne. I am going to
      stash my food there and fastpack out of the Valley. I am hoping to do
      Donohue on the third day. We'll see.

      Looks like there is going to be a heat wave this week.

      thanks again,

    • thomas taylor
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 11, 2005
        Frank,

        You may be able to stash your food in one of the
        lockers at the Glen Aulin/Soda Springs trailhead.
        Glen Aulin is closed for the season (too much water).
        I drove up the road late one afternoon last week and
        found only one car that was parked by the lockers and
        it may have belonged to a fisherman that was late in
        getting back. Alternatively, you could also leave
        your food in Mammoth/Reds. That way you would be
        super lite for the first 60 miles of what will be the
        snowiest portion of the trip.

        Good luck and, above all, HAVE FUN!

        --- Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:

        > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor
        > <tgtaylor7@y...>
        > wrote:
        > > Frank,
        > >
        > > That section on Forrester is on the south side
        > right
        > > where it's shady. If you go 'over' there, you're
        > > going all the way down.
        >

        > Hi Thomas,
        >
        > Thanks for all your info.
        >
        > I'll take the axe.
        >
        > Eating trail miles is my strong point. I can hike
        > from dawn to dusk.
        > The time spent route finding and safe stream
        > crossing are mile killers
        > though.
        >
        > I will have 12 days plus some extra out of Tuolumne.
        > I am going to
        > stash my food there and fastpack out of the Valley.
        > I am hoping to do
        > Donohue on the third day. We'll see.
        >
        > Looks like there is going to be a heat wave this
        > week.
        >
        > thanks again,

        Best regards,

        Thomas