Re: [John Muir Trail] And Still Some More New Trail Info

  • thomas taylor
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 10, 2005
      I just logged on to Yosemite NP and the T Mdws
      campground (and no doubt the grill as well) is now
      open. Also, the daytime temp. at the higher
      elevations are high with the snow line in the park at
      9000'.

      --- thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@...> wrote:

      > Frank,
      >
      > That section on Forrester is on the south side right
      > where it's shady. If you go 'over' there, you're
      > going all the way down.
      >
      > The store at Tuolumne is open, but the campground
      > and
      > the grill was closed. You could leave all your food
      > at Tuolumne (maybe lock it in one of the bear boxes
      > at
      > the campground) and carry just enough to make it
      > from
      > the valley. Reds is open so you could replenish
      > what
      > you used getting there. So from Reds to WP that
      > would
      > be, say 212-60= 152 miles/12= 13 miles per day that
      > you would need to average to make it without
      > resupply.
      > Ordinarily that would be very doable but this is
      > not
      > an ordinary year. But, as you say, you can always
      > exit at Independence.
      >
      > Personally, I've never encounter bear problems while
      > stealth camping with freeze-dried so I would
      > seriously
      > consider leaving the bear can.
      >

      > --- Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:

      Best regards,

      Thomas

      Thomas Taylor
      tgtaylor7@...
      http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
    • Frank Martin
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 10, 2005
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@y...>
        wrote:
        > Frank,
        >
        > That section on Forrester is on the south side right
        > where it's shady. If you go 'over' there, you're
        > going all the way down.

        Hi Thomas,

        Thanks for all your info.

        I'll take the axe.

        Eating trail miles is my strong point. I can hike from dawn to dusk.
        The time spent route finding and safe stream crossing are mile killers
        though.

        I will have 12 days plus some extra out of Tuolumne. I am going to
        stash my food there and fastpack out of the Valley. I am hoping to do
        Donohue on the third day. We'll see.

        Looks like there is going to be a heat wave this week.

        thanks again,

      • thomas taylor
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 11, 2005
          Frank,

          You may be able to stash your food in one of the
          lockers at the Glen Aulin/Soda Springs trailhead.
          Glen Aulin is closed for the season (too much water).
          I drove up the road late one afternoon last week and
          found only one car that was parked by the lockers and
          it may have belonged to a fisherman that was late in
          getting back. Alternatively, you could also leave
          your food in Mammoth/Reds. That way you would be
          super lite for the first 60 miles of what will be the
          snowiest portion of the trip.

          Good luck and, above all, HAVE FUN!