Re: [John Muir Trail] And Still Some More New Trail Info

  • thomas taylor
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 10, 2005
      Frank,

      That section on Forrester is on the south side right
      where it's shady. If you go 'over' there, you're
      going all the way down.

      The store at Tuolumne is open, but the campground and
      the grill was closed. You could leave all your food
      at Tuolumne (maybe lock it in one of the bear boxes at
      the campground) and carry just enough to make it from
      the valley. Reds is open so you could replenish what
      you used getting there. So from Reds to WP that would
      be, say 212-60= 152 miles/12= 13 miles per day that
      you would need to average to make it without resupply.
      Ordinarily that would be very doable but this is not
      an ordinary year. But, as you say, you can always
      exit at Independence.

      Personally, I've never encounter bear problems while
      stealth camping with freeze-dried so I would seriously
      consider leaving the bear can.

      Best regards,

      Thomas

      Thomas Taylor
      tgtaylor7@...
      http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
    • thomas taylor
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 10, 2005
        I just logged on to Yosemite NP and the T Mdws
        campground (and no doubt the grill as well) is now
        open. Also, the daytime temp. at the higher
        elevations are high with the snow line in the park at
        9000'.

        --- thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@...> wrote:

        > Frank,
        >
        > That section on Forrester is on the south side right
        > where it's shady. If you go 'over' there, you're
        > going all the way down.
        >
        > The store at Tuolumne is open, but the campground
        > and
        > the grill was closed. You could leave all your food
        > at Tuolumne (maybe lock it in one of the bear boxes
        > at
        > the campground) and carry just enough to make it
        > from
        > the valley. Reds is open so you could replenish
        > what
        > you used getting there. So from Reds to WP that
        > would
        > be, say 212-60= 152 miles/12= 13 miles per day that
        > you would need to average to make it without
        > resupply.
        > Ordinarily that would be very doable but this is
        > not
        > an ordinary year. But, as you say, you can always
        > exit at Independence.
        >
        > Personally, I've never encounter bear problems while
        > stealth camping with freeze-dried so I would
        > seriously
        > consider leaving the bear can.
        >

        > --- Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:

        Best regards,

        Thomas

        Thomas Taylor
        tgtaylor7@...
        http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
      • Frank Martin
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 10, 2005
          wrote:
          > Frank,
          >
          > That section on Forrester is on the south side right
          > where it's shady. If you go 'over' there, you're
          > going all the way down.

          Hi Thomas,

          Thanks for all your info.

          I'll take the axe.

          Eating trail miles is my strong point. I can hike from dawn to dusk.
          The time spent route finding and safe stream crossing are mile killers
          though.

          I will have 12 days plus some extra out of Tuolumne. I am going to
          stash my food there and fastpack out of the Valley. I am hoping to do
          Donohue on the third day. We'll see.

          Looks like there is going to be a heat wave this week.

          thanks again,

        • thomas taylor
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 11, 2005
            Frank,

            You may be able to stash your food in one of the
            lockers at the Glen Aulin/Soda Springs trailhead.
            Glen Aulin is closed for the season (too much water).
            I drove up the road late one afternoon last week and
            found only one car that was parked by the lockers and
            it may have belonged to a fisherman that was late in
            getting back. Alternatively, you could also leave
            your food in Mammoth/Reds. That way you would be
            super lite for the first 60 miles of what will be the
            snowiest portion of the trip.

            Good luck and, above all, HAVE FUN!