Re: [John Muir Trail] And Still Some More New Trail Info

  • Pukkmann@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 10, 2005
      In a message dated 7/10/2005 10:20:16 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
      sriprank@... writes:

      In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@y...>
      wrote:

      Hi Thomas,

      I'm starting SoBo from the valley on the 13th. I'll drive to Tuolumne
      and leave my car and take Yarts to the Valley. It looks as if trail
      conditions are 'improving' somewhat but I'm sure there will be plenty
      of snow on the Southern Passes.

      One advantage of having my car in Tuolumne is that I can make some
      gear adjustments if needed. I'm still not sure if I'll carry my ice
      ax. I am looking at Forrester toward the end of July . Whats your
      opinion. If I were NoBO I would say yes.

      I have a Bearikade Expedition can. It weighs the same as the Garcia
      but you can get about 12-13 days of food into it. I intend to do
      Toulumne to WP without resupply maybe pick up a few things at Red's or
      exit at Independence if necessary.

      I wouldn't take a 'second can' (no way). The 'rules' regarding
      bearcans differ in Kings Canyon /Sequoia vs Yosemite. At least they
      did last year. The only problem with bear-box to bear box is that some
      of these locations are 'campground' area and are somewhat distressed.
      And also where lots of people gather so do bears.

      I will 'stealth camp' and not cook at the campsite. Sometimes with
      small amounts of food that won't fit in my box I will stash in a
      hollow log and backfill with rocks, but it sounds like Sandy will have
      a considerable amount so BB to BB or counterbalance (correctly) might
      be the only option.

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      _pct2005 - Pete's Pacific Crest Trail Odyssey_ (http://www.pct2005.com/)
      ...Doug...( going from VVR to Happy Isles Aug. 20th)

      this sight will help you...he is carrying a laptop with him!!!

    • thomas taylor
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 10, 2005
        Frank,

        That section on Forrester is on the south side right
        where it's shady. If you go 'over' there, you're
        going all the way down.

        The store at Tuolumne is open, but the campground and
        the grill was closed. You could leave all your food
        at Tuolumne (maybe lock it in one of the bear boxes at
        the campground) and carry just enough to make it from
        the valley. Reds is open so you could replenish what
        you used getting there. So from Reds to WP that would
        be, say 212-60= 152 miles/12= 13 miles per day that
        you would need to average to make it without resupply.
        Ordinarily that would be very doable but this is not
        an ordinary year. But, as you say, you can always
        exit at Independence.

        Personally, I've never encounter bear problems while
        stealth camping with freeze-dried so I would seriously
        consider leaving the bear can.

        Best regards,

        Thomas

        Thomas Taylor
        tgtaylor7@...
        http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
      • thomas taylor
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 10, 2005
          I just logged on to Yosemite NP and the T Mdws
          campground (and no doubt the grill as well) is now
          open. Also, the daytime temp. at the higher
          elevations are high with the snow line in the park at
          9000'.

          --- thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@...> wrote:

          > Frank,
          >
          > That section on Forrester is on the south side right
          > where it's shady. If you go 'over' there, you're
          > going all the way down.
          >
          > The store at Tuolumne is open, but the campground
          > and
          > the grill was closed. You could leave all your food
          > at Tuolumne (maybe lock it in one of the bear boxes
          > at
          > the campground) and carry just enough to make it
          > from
          > the valley. Reds is open so you could replenish
          > what
          > you used getting there. So from Reds to WP that
          > would
          > be, say 212-60= 152 miles/12= 13 miles per day that
          > you would need to average to make it without
          > resupply.
          > Ordinarily that would be very doable but this is
          > not
          > an ordinary year. But, as you say, you can always
          > exit at Independence.
          >
          > Personally, I've never encounter bear problems while
          > stealth camping with freeze-dried so I would
          > seriously
          > consider leaving the bear can.
          >

          > --- Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:

          Best regards,

          Thomas

          Thomas Taylor
          tgtaylor7@...
          http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
        • Frank Martin
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 10, 2005
            wrote:
            > Frank,
            >
            > That section on Forrester is on the south side right
            > where it's shady. If you go 'over' there, you're
            > going all the way down.

            Hi Thomas,

            Thanks for all your info.

            I'll take the axe.

            Eating trail miles is my strong point. I can hike from dawn to dusk.
            The time spent route finding and safe stream crossing are mile killers
            though.

            I will have 12 days plus some extra out of Tuolumne. I am going to
            stash my food there and fastpack out of the Valley. I am hoping to do
            Donohue on the third day. We'll see.

            Looks like there is going to be a heat wave this week.

            thanks again,

          • thomas taylor
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 11, 2005
              Frank,

              You may be able to stash your food in one of the
              lockers at the Glen Aulin/Soda Springs trailhead.
              Glen Aulin is closed for the season (too much water).
              I drove up the road late one afternoon last week and
              found only one car that was parked by the lockers and
              it may have belonged to a fisherman that was late in
              getting back. Alternatively, you could also leave
              your food in Mammoth/Reds. That way you would be
              super lite for the first 60 miles of what will be the
              snowiest portion of the trip.

              Good luck and, above all, HAVE FUN!