Re: [John Muir Trail] And Still Some More New Trail Info

  • sandy paterson
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 10, 2005
      Thanks for this info. Frank it really helps us Brits
      get and idea of what we will be facing.

      Can anyone tell me if one bear can per person will be
      enough to go straight through from VVR to Whitney
      without resupplying.

      Our best laid plans have taken a bit of a set back re
      resupplying and it looks like we'll have to go though
      in one go.

      We were planning on 11 days for this part of the trip
      max. but I think we can only get 5 -6 days of food in
      the can and we are now looking at storage in bear
      boxes on the route. Any help or suggestions.

      Sandy
      --- Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:

      ---------------------------------
      http://pct2005.com/

      This one also recent with photos.

      Terms of Service.

      ---------------------------------

    • thomas taylor
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 10, 2005
        Hi Sandy,

        You will find bear boxes at Rae Lakes (just north of
        Glenn Pass), Charlotte Lake, Vidette Mdws, Tyndall,
        Crabtree, etc., so you can go from bear box to bear
        box from Glen Pass south. If you're going to go from
        Vermillion to WP in one hump, my advice would be to
        forget the bear can and instead carry 3 lbs of
        provisions. If you have to exit, Kearsarge would be
        your best choice. The pass is clear of snow and you
        can pick up supplies in Independance.

        As Franks' posts indicate, there is a lot of snow on
        the northern portion of the trail, say from Glenn Pass
        north. It was raining in Tuolumne Mdws when I passed
        through last Tuesday, 5 July. Forrester and Mather
        will be challenging. You will need an axe (or
        crampons) to cut steps thru a short chute at the top
        of Forrester just south of the pass.

        Finally, mosquito season began in the south around the
        3d of July so don't forget the deet.

        --- sandy paterson <sandypaterson52@...>
        wrote:

        > Thanks for this info. Frank it really helps us Brits
        > get and idea of what we will be facing.
        >
        > Can anyone tell me if one bear can per person will
        > be
        > enough to go straight through from VVR to Whitney
        > without resupplying.
        >
        > Our best laid plans have taken a bit of a set back
        > re
        > resupplying and it looks like we'll have to go
        > though
        > in one go.
        >
        > We were planning on 11 days for this part of the
        > trip
        > max. but I think we can only get 5 -6 days of food
        > in
        > the can and we are now looking at storage in bear
        > boxes on the route. Any help or suggestions.
        >
        > Sandy
        > --- Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:
        >

        > ---------------------------------
        > http://pct2005.com/
        >

        > This one also recent with photos.

        > Yahoo!
        > Terms of Service.
        >

        > ---------------------------------

        > Yahoo! Messenger - NEW crystal clear PC to PC
        > calling worldwide with voicemail
        > http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

        Best regards,

        Thomas

        Thomas Taylor
        tgtaylor7@...
        http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
      • Frank Martin
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 10, 2005
          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@y...>
          wrote:

          Hi Thomas,

          I'm starting SoBo from the valley on the 13th. I'll drive to Tuolumne
          and leave my car and take Yarts to the Valley. It looks as if trail
          conditions are 'improving' somewhat but I'm sure there will be plenty
          of snow on the Southern Passes.

          One advantage of having my car in Tuolumne is that I can make some
          gear adjustments if needed. I'm still not sure if I'll carry my ice
          ax. I am looking at Forrester toward the end of July . Whats your
          opinion. If I were NoBO I would say yes.

          I have a Bearikade Expedition can. It weighs the same as the Garcia
          but you can get about 12-13 days of food into it. I intend to do
          Toulumne to WP without resupply maybe pick up a few things at Red's or
          exit at Independence if necessary.

          I wouldn't take a 'second can' (no way). The 'rules' regarding
          bearcans differ in Kings Canyon /Sequoia vs Yosemite. At least they
          did last year. The only problem with bear-box to bear box is that some
          of these locations are 'campground' area and are somewhat distressed.
          And also where lots of people gather so do bears.

          I will 'stealth camp' and not cook at the campsite. Sometimes with
          small amounts of food that won't fit in my box I will stash in a
          hollow log and backfill with rocks, but it sounds like Sandy will have
          a considerable amount so BB to BB or counterbalance (correctly) might
          be the only option.

        • Pukkmann@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 10, 2005

            wrote:

[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            _pct2005 - Pete's Pacific Crest Trail Odyssey_ (http://www.pct2005.com/)
            ...Doug...( going from VVR to Happy Isles Aug. 20th)

            this sight will help you...he is carrying a laptop with him!!!

          • thomas taylor
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 10, 2005
              Frank,

              That section on Forrester is on the south side right
              where it's shady. If you go 'over' there, you're
              going all the way down.

              The store at Tuolumne is open, but the campground and
              the grill was closed. You could leave all your food
              at Tuolumne (maybe lock it in one of the bear boxes at
              the campground) and carry just enough to make it from
              the valley. Reds is open so you could replenish what
              you used getting there. So from Reds to WP that would
              be, say 212-60= 152 miles/12= 13 miles per day that
              you would need to average to make it without resupply.
              Ordinarily that would be very doable but this is not
              an ordinary year. But, as you say, you can always
              exit at Independence.

              Personally, I've never encounter bear problems while
              stealth camping with freeze-dried so I would seriously
              consider leaving the bear can.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 10, 2005
                I just logged on to Yosemite NP and the T Mdws
                campground (and no doubt the grill as well) is now
                open. Also, the daytime temp. at the higher
                elevations are high with the snow line in the park at
                9000'.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 10, 2005
                  wrote:
                  > Frank,
                  >
                  > That section on Forrester is on the south side right
                  > where it's shady. If you go 'over' there, you're
                  > going all the way down.

                  Hi Thomas,

                  Thanks for all your info.

                  I'll take the axe.

                  Eating trail miles is my strong point. I can hike from dawn to dusk.
                  The time spent route finding and safe stream crossing are mile killers
                  though.

                  I will have 12 days plus some extra out of Tuolumne. I am going to
                  stash my food there and fastpack out of the Valley. I am hoping to do
                  Donohue on the third day. We'll see.

                  Looks like there is going to be a heat wave this week.

                  thanks again,

                • thomas taylor
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 11, 2005
                    Frank,

                    You may be able to stash your food in one of the
                    lockers at the Glen Aulin/Soda Springs trailhead.
                    Glen Aulin is closed for the season (too much water).
                    I drove up the road late one afternoon last week and
                    found only one car that was parked by the lockers and
                    it may have belonged to a fisherman that was late in
                    getting back. Alternatively, you could also leave
                    your food in Mammoth/Reds. That way you would be
                    super lite for the first 60 miles of what will be the
                    snowiest portion of the trip.

                    Good luck and, above all, HAVE FUN!