And Still Some More New Trail Info

  • Frank Martin
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 7, 2005
      http://pct2005.com/

      This one also recent with photos.

    • sandy paterson
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 10, 2005
        Thanks for this info. Frank it really helps us Brits
        get and idea of what we will be facing.

        Can anyone tell me if one bear can per person will be
        enough to go straight through from VVR to Whitney
        without resupplying.

        Our best laid plans have taken a bit of a set back re
        resupplying and it looks like we'll have to go though
        in one go.

        We were planning on 11 days for this part of the trip
        max. but I think we can only get 5 -6 days of food in
        the can and we are now looking at storage in bear
        boxes on the route. Any help or suggestions.

        Sandy
        --- Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:

        ---------------------------------
        http://pct2005.com/

        This one also recent with photos.

        Terms of Service.

        ---------------------------------

      • thomas taylor
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 10, 2005
          Hi Sandy,

          You will find bear boxes at Rae Lakes (just north of
          Glenn Pass), Charlotte Lake, Vidette Mdws, Tyndall,
          Crabtree, etc., so you can go from bear box to bear
          box from Glen Pass south. If you're going to go from
          Vermillion to WP in one hump, my advice would be to
          forget the bear can and instead carry 3 lbs of
          provisions. If you have to exit, Kearsarge would be
          your best choice. The pass is clear of snow and you
          can pick up supplies in Independance.

          As Franks' posts indicate, there is a lot of snow on
          the northern portion of the trail, say from Glenn Pass
          north. It was raining in Tuolumne Mdws when I passed
          through last Tuesday, 5 July. Forrester and Mather
          will be challenging. You will need an axe (or
          crampons) to cut steps thru a short chute at the top
          of Forrester just south of the pass.

          Finally, mosquito season began in the south around the
          3d of July so don't forget the deet.

          --- sandy paterson <sandypaterson52@...>
          wrote:

          > Thanks for this info. Frank it really helps us Brits
          > get and idea of what we will be facing.
          >
          > Can anyone tell me if one bear can per person will
          > be
          > enough to go straight through from VVR to Whitney
          > without resupplying.
          >
          > Our best laid plans have taken a bit of a set back
          > re
          > resupplying and it looks like we'll have to go
          > though
          > in one go.
          >
          > We were planning on 11 days for this part of the
          > trip
          > max. but I think we can only get 5 -6 days of food
          > in
          > the can and we are now looking at storage in bear
          > boxes on the route. Any help or suggestions.
          >
          > Sandy
          > --- Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:
          >

          > ---------------------------------
          > http://pct2005.com/
          >

          > This one also recent with photos.

          > Yahoo!
          > Terms of Service.
          >

          > ---------------------------------

          > Yahoo! Messenger - NEW crystal clear PC to PC
          > calling worldwide with voicemail
          > http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

          Best regards,

          Thomas

          Thomas Taylor
          tgtaylor7@...
          http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
        • Frank Martin
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 10, 2005
            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@y...>
            wrote:

            Hi Thomas,

            I'm starting SoBo from the valley on the 13th. I'll drive to Tuolumne
            and leave my car and take Yarts to the Valley. It looks as if trail
            conditions are 'improving' somewhat but I'm sure there will be plenty
            of snow on the Southern Passes.

            One advantage of having my car in Tuolumne is that I can make some
            gear adjustments if needed. I'm still not sure if I'll carry my ice
            ax. I am looking at Forrester toward the end of July . Whats your
            opinion. If I were NoBO I would say yes.

            I have a Bearikade Expedition can. It weighs the same as the Garcia
            but you can get about 12-13 days of food into it. I intend to do
            Toulumne to WP without resupply maybe pick up a few things at Red's or
            exit at Independence if necessary.

            I wouldn't take a 'second can' (no way). The 'rules' regarding
            bearcans differ in Kings Canyon /Sequoia vs Yosemite. At least they
            did last year. The only problem with bear-box to bear box is that some
            of these locations are 'campground' area and are somewhat distressed.
            And also where lots of people gather so do bears.

            I will 'stealth camp' and not cook at the campsite. Sometimes with
            small amounts of food that won't fit in my box I will stash in a
            hollow log and backfill with rocks, but it sounds like Sandy will have
            a considerable amount so BB to BB or counterbalance (correctly) might
            be the only option.

          • Pukkmann@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 10, 2005

              wrote:

[...]

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              _pct2005 - Pete's Pacific Crest Trail Odyssey_ (http://www.pct2005.com/)
              ...Doug...( going from VVR to Happy Isles Aug. 20th)

              this sight will help you...he is carrying a laptop with him!!!

            • thomas taylor
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 10, 2005
                Frank,

                That section on Forrester is on the south side right
                where it's shady. If you go 'over' there, you're
                going all the way down.

                The store at Tuolumne is open, but the campground and
                the grill was closed. You could leave all your food
                at Tuolumne (maybe lock it in one of the bear boxes at
                the campground) and carry just enough to make it from
                the valley. Reds is open so you could replenish what
                you used getting there. So from Reds to WP that would
                be, say 212-60= 152 miles/12= 13 miles per day that
                you would need to average to make it without resupply.
                Ordinarily that would be very doable but this is not
                an ordinary year. But, as you say, you can always
                exit at Independence.

                Personally, I've never encounter bear problems while
                stealth camping with freeze-dried so I would seriously
                consider leaving the bear can.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 10, 2005
                  I just logged on to Yosemite NP and the T Mdws
                  campground (and no doubt the grill as well) is now
                  open. Also, the daytime temp. at the higher
                  elevations are high with the snow line in the park at
                  9000'.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 10, 2005
                    wrote:
                    > Frank,
                    >
                    > That section on Forrester is on the south side right
                    > where it's shady. If you go 'over' there, you're
                    > going all the way down.

                    Hi Thomas,

                    Thanks for all your info.

                    I'll take the axe.

                    Eating trail miles is my strong point. I can hike from dawn to dusk.
                    The time spent route finding and safe stream crossing are mile killers
                    though.

                    I will have 12 days plus some extra out of Tuolumne. I am going to
                    stash my food there and fastpack out of the Valley. I am hoping to do
                    Donohue on the third day. We'll see.

                    Looks like there is going to be a heat wave this week.

                    thanks again,

                  • thomas taylor
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 11, 2005
                      Frank,

                      You may be able to stash your food in one of the
                      lockers at the Glen Aulin/Soda Springs trailhead.
                      Glen Aulin is closed for the season (too much water).
                      I drove up the road late one afternoon last week and
                      found only one car that was parked by the lockers and
                      it may have belonged to a fisherman that was late in
                      getting back. Alternatively, you could also leave
                      your food in Mammoth/Reds. That way you would be
                      super lite for the first 60 miles of what will be the
                      snowiest portion of the trip.

                      Good luck and, above all, HAVE FUN!