New Trail info

  • Frank Martin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6 9:40 AM
      This was pulled off another forum and is as of July 4th.

      Not looking pleasant past Donohue Pass

      Beging quotes

      JOHN MUIR TRAIL BETWEEN GARNET LAKE AND ROSALIE LAKE (Report as of
      July 3, 2005):This weekend I hiked that part of the JMT between the
      ridge overlooking Garnet Lake and Rosalie Lake. We went in and back
      from Agnew Meadow and camped at Shadow Creek. The JMT still has
      very heavy snow cover which makes for difficult hiking on north
      facing slopes. On south facing slopes intermittent snow on the JMT
      above 9600 feet. On the 22 switchbacks between Shadow Lake and
      Rosalie Lake (north facing slope), it was about 2/3 covered with
      snow varying in depth from two to five feet. The remaining 1/3 of
      the trail was awash in snow melt, keeping the snow-free part of the
      trail in two to three inches of water. There were extensive little
      water falls everywhere.

      The JMT between Shadow Lake and the ridge overlooking Garnet Lake
      was also heavy with snow. The short off-trail hike from the JMT to
      Clarice Lake was 90% covered in snow. Interestingly, I encountered
      no through-hikers on these portions of the JMT this weekend.

      The weather was quite warm and the snow is melting fast. The
      streams and falls are all ROARING. Water is everywhere. Stream
      crossings can be difficult and expect crossings in places that are
      usually dry.

      THOUSAND ISLAND LAKE: I did not go to Thousand Island Lake but I
      spoke to two parties that did. One party headed up the River Trail
      and abandoned their trip at Thousand Island Lake due to the snow.
      They had intended to go from Agnew Meadow to Tuolumne over Donohue
      Pass. I was told that Thousand Island Lake was totally covered in
      snow all around the Lake and that the Lake remains partially frozen.