Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Trail conditions

  • sandy paterson
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2005
      I am starting on the JMT from Lyell Canyon traihead on the 15 th JUly. Can anyone give me any advice on how I get from Merced/Yosemite to Tuolomne Meadows ? I am from the UK and basically know how to get to merced and Yosemite but not how to get to Tuolomne.

      If you are on the trail around the 15th look out for a pair of Scots and an englishman struggling through the snow.

      Sandy

      thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@...> wrote:
      Hi all,

      The Kings Canyon/Sequoia NP website has the latest
      information on trail conditions from Bishop/Taboose
      Pass to Whitney: http://www.nps.gov/seki/trailcdt.htm

      Anyone interested in doing Kearsarge to Whitney?

      --- Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:

      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "yalpsdlihc"
      > <psusoeff@s...> wrote:
      > > Hi,
      > > Has anyone seen the condition of the John Muir
      > trails?
      > > I am starting on July 14 from Glacier Point.
      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > Peggy
      >
      > Hi Peggy,
      >
      > As of now it is still a bit 'iffy'. I hiked the
      > Pahono Trial last
      > week and got my JMT permit for July 13. I will most
      > likely hike Snow
      > Creek Trail out of the valley to Tenaya.
      >
      > The Rangers are not encouraging people to do the
      > Trail right now.
      > That being said the first pack of PCT's have made it
      > to Touloumme and
      > their is an ultra-marathoner out their running
      > through the Sierras.
      >
      > I did not get into the High Country but from those I
      > spoke to there is
      > hard pack snow at the 8000' level and heavy snow
      > over the passes. The
      > creek crossing also are dangerous.
      >
      > I have been monitering different lists and also
      > logging on to
      > trailjournals.com and am debating bringing an ice
      > ax.
      >
      > In any case timing your passes will be very
      > important as there will be
      > soft snow mid-morning and the footprints easier to
      > walk through.
      > Depending on the mileage/day you intend it may take
      > a day or two extra
      > to complete the trail.
      >
      > frank

      Best regards,

      Thomas

      Thomas Taylor
      tgtaylor7@...
      http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7

    • Frank Martin
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2005
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, sandy paterson
        <sandypaterson52@y...> wrote:
        > I am starting on the JMT from Lyell Canyon traihead on the 15 th
        JUly. Can anyone give me any advice on how I get from Merced/Yosemite
        to Tuolomne Meadows ? I am from the UK and basically know how to get
        to merced and Yosemite but not how to get to Tuolomne.

        > If you are on the trail around the 15th look out for a pair of Scots
        and an englishman struggling through the snow.

        > Sandy

        YARTS goes to Tuolomne

        http://www.yarts.com/

        good luck

      • Ewa Bialkowski
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 19, 2011
          We are passed Rosalie Lake. Snow makes for slow going. Not all tracks in the snow are safe to follow. Nav can be tricky Snow melting fast and conditions are changing daily.

          Ewa